1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

A.W. Pink On Election ...

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Rippon, Mar 1, 2006.

1. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    from his book " Election " . This post will be from his chapter called : " Its Opposition " .

That the avowed opponents of Christ should revile a doctrine taught by Him and His apostles is only to be expected ; but when those who profess to be His friends and followers join in denouncing this truth , it only serves to demonstrate the cunning of that old serpent the devil , who is never more pleased than when he can persuade nominal Christians to do his vile work for them .

2. JackRUS

JackRUS New Member

What? Conditional election or unconditional election?

Those that believe in unconditional election should see no reason in telling anyone the Gospel since all of the elect will be saved and the damned elect will not be saved no matter what. And there's nothing that the devil would rather have us to believe.

3. whatever

whatever New Member

Maybe obedience? Could that be one small reason that we should witness - because God told us to?

God chose who to save and He chose who to leave in their sin and He chose how to save those who will be saved and He chose that we should preach the Gospel and make disciples, and so we do.

4. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    JackRus , your words " the damned elect " is a contradiction in terms . If they are elect they can't be damned . Maybe you are confusing things . There are those reserved for condemnation . But they are not considered elect .

5. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Continuing in AWP's book -- this time from the chapter called " Its Publication " .

Any man , then , who omits the Father's election , and the Spirit's sovereign and effectual operations , preaches not the gospel of God , no matter what his reputation as a " soul winner. " ( page 169 )

Moreover the Gospel is to be preached " to every creature , " that is , to all who frequent the Christian ministry , whether Jew or Gentile , young or old , rich or poor . All who wait upon the ministrations of god's servants have a right to hear the gospel fully and clearly , without any part of it being kept back . Now an important part of the gospel is the doctrine of election : God's eternal , free , and irreversible choice of certain persons in Christ to everlasting life . God foreknew that if the success of the preaching of Christ crucified were left contingent upon the response made to it by fallen men , there would be a universal despising of the same . This is clear from , " They all with one consent began to make excuse " ( Luke 14:18 ). Therefore did God determine that a remenant of Adam's children should be the eternal monuments of His mercy , and accordingly He decreed to bestow upon them a saving faith and repentance . That is good news , indeed : all rendered certain and immutable by the sovereign will of God . ( page 170 )

6. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There are thousands of Arminian evangelists in Christendom today who deny predestination , either directly or indirectly , and yet suppose they are magnifying divine grace . Their idea is that God , out of His great goodness and love , has provided salvation in Christ for the whole human family , and that such is what He now desires and seeks . It is the view of these men that God makes an offer of His saving grace through the gospel message , makes it to the freewill of all who hear it , and that they can either accept or refuse it . But that is not " grace " at all . ( page 171 )

7. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If God's Word be full of it [ the doctrine of election ] , if the gospel cannot be Scripturally preached without it , if the grace of God cannot be maintained when it is suppressed , if the proclamation of it abases man into the dust , if it be a divinely appointed means of faith , if it be a powerful incentive unto the promotion of holiness , if it stirs in the soul the spirit of praise , if it establishes the Christian in the certainty of his security , if it be such a source of stability to the servant of God , if it supplies encouragement to praying souls and affords valuable instruction therein , if it work in us a sweet submission to the divine will ; then shall we refuse to give unto God's children this valuable bread merely because dogs snap at it or withhold from the sheep this vital ingredient of their food simply because the goats cannot digest it ? ( pages 179 and 180 )

8. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Conditional election puts MAN at the center of salvation.

And if MAN has any part in the plan, it is no more God's grace.

Appreciate the good quotations. That simple understanding of a sovereign God seems a stumbling block to so many.

9. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks Dr.Bob . The last post really meant a lot to me when I went through the whole chapter by Pink . He developed those themes quite well that I only gave fragments of . I wrote in my book at the time : " WONDERFUL ! "

10. Brother James

Brother James New Member

How different is the God of the Bible from the God of modern Christendom! The conception of Deity which prevails most widely today, even among those who profess to give heed to the Scriptures, is a miserable caricature, a blasphemous travesty of the Truth. The God of the twentieth century is a helpless, effeminate being who commands the respect of no really thoughtful man. The God of the popular mind is the creation of a maudlin sentimentality. The God of many a present-day pulpit is an object of pity rather than of awe-inspiring reverence.[1] To say that God the Father has purposed the salvation of all mankind, that God the Son died with the express intention of saving the whole human race, and that God the Holy Spirit is now seeking to win the world to Christ; when, as a matter of common observation, it is apparent that the great majority of our fellow-men are dying in sin, and passing into a hopeless eternity: is to say that God the Father is disappointed, that God the Son is dissatisfied, and that God the Holy Spirit is defeated. We have stated the issue baldly, but there is no escaping the conclusion. To argue that God is "trying His best" to save all mankind, but that the majority of men will not let Him save them, is to insist that the will of the Creator is impotent, and that the will of the creature is omnipotent. To throw the blame, as many do, upon the Devil, does not remove the difficulty, for if Satan is defeating the purpose of God, then, Satan is Almighty and God is no longer the Supreme Being.

To declare that the Creator’s original plan has been frustrated by sin, is to dethrone God. To suggest that God was taken by surprise in Eden and that He is now attempting to remedy an unforeseen calamity, is to degrade the Most High to the level of a finite, erring mortal. To argue that man is a free moral agent and the determiner of his own destiny, and that therefore he has the power to checkmate his Maker, is to strip God of the attribute of Omnipotence. To say that the creature has burst the hounds assigned by his Creator, and that God is now practically a helpless Spectator before the sin and suffering entailed by Adam’s fall, is to repudiate the express declaration of Holy Writ, namely, "Surely the wrath of man shall praise Thee: the remainder of wrath shalt Thou restrain" (Ps. 76:10). In a word, to deny the sovereignty of God is to enter upon a path which, if followed to its logical terminus, is to arrive at blank atheism.

The sovereignty of the God of Scripture is absolute, irresistible, infinite. When we say that God is sovereign we affirm His right to govern the universe, which He has made for His own glory, just as He pleases. We affirm that His right is the right of the Potter over the clay, i.e., that He may mould that clay into whatsoever form He chooses, fashioning out of the same lump one vessel unto honor and another unto dishonor. We affirm that He is under no rule or law outside of His own will and nature, that God is a law unto Himself, and that He is under no obligation to give an account of His matters to any.

A.W. PINK

11. Brother James

Brother James New Member

CHARLES HADDON SPURGEON ON READING

"As the apostle says to Timothy, so also he says to
    everyone, 'Give yourself to reading.' He who will
    not use the thoughts of other men's brains proves
    that he has no brains of his own. You need to read.
    Renounce as much as you will all light literature,
    but study as much as possible sound theological
    works, especially the Puritanic writers, and
    expositions of the Bible. The best way for you to
    spend your leisure is to be either reading or praying."

12. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

According to you and your theology...not the Bible.
    So who makes the rules, you, John Calvin, or God? If God makes our faith in Him a requirement for salvation (a condition) who are you to question or rule on Almighty God's Sovereignty?

13. Brother James

Brother James New Member

You make the rules WD. You think God thinks like you.

14. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    You stumble over a sovereign God who is in control of all things? Amazing. That, by definition, is a key attribute of God.

We are not talking about God making repentance/faith as our role. We are talking about GOD sovereignly selecting to whom the gifts of repentance and faith will be given so that they CAN be saved!

15. Salamander

Salamander New Member

God's Sovereignty is that no one tells Him what to do, or how to respond, but that doesn't make His choosing limited, but only makes those who choose Him within His limits.

I cannot believe what goes on in these discussions about Calvinism, to think the way a Calvinist thinks is to call God a tyrant in the lives odf those He created just so he could watch them forever suffer in the torments of the fire of Soveriegn judgement.

16. Brother James

Brother James New Member

That's a pretty sick imagination you have there brother. Anything but believe the truth.

17. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, what kind of wimpy non-judging God do YOU bleieve in? Sal, my bible doesn't say "Loving, loving, loving Lord God not-as-mighty-as-man-is"

It says "Holy, holy, holy, Lord God Almighty". I believe in an eternal hell for those who willingly do not repent and believe the Gospel. And an all-powerful God who will damn them there for eternity.

18. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Whatever... :rolleyes:

God doesn't think like me, I try to think like Christ.

19. Dave

Dave Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Funny, that's what my bible says too! [​IMG]

Seriously, who are you, oh man, to question the sovereignty of God? Who chooses? What do all those passages about election mean? What does it mean when Christ says that "all that my Father has given me...". Notice the tense. Read the words without the pre-conceived notion and see what the gospel really is.

Are you offended? What, I can't choose God? He chose me? How like the natural man to not give up the throne that we put ourselves on. God is sovereign. He clearly states that He makes one vessel unto honor and one unto dis-honor. What is he talking about if man makes the choice?

Choice is part of it, but you cannot make the choice except God put true repentence and faith in your heart and enables you to make that choice. And, once He has done that, what choice will a man make? Without those gifts, what choice will man make? To the first question, no man would choose to say no, since he is repentent. To the second question, no man would say yes because he is dead in his sins and incapable of the choice. The dead cannot choose life, it must be given to them.

Dave

20. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Who are you to tell God how sovereignty is to be?
    Chooses what?
    Depends on the context read in.
    I could suggest the same to you. Read the words...in context without pre-conceived notion, nor after reading the works of men.
    About what?
    I have done no such thing. I cannot take credit for a free gift.
    Do you read anything in context?
    Do you even know what "choice, chose" mean?
    Choice
    CHOICE, n.

1. The act of choosing; the voluntary act of selecting or separating from two or more things that which is preferred; or the determination of the mind in preferring one thing to another ; election.
    If you mean physical death, I agree. If you mean spiritual death (separation) as it is used in the Bible, you are wrong.