1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

A Warning to Scholars

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Humblesmith, Jun 2, 2007.

1. Humblesmith

Humblesmith Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I submit the following article, entitled "Beware of Philosophy: A Warning to Biblical Scholars" by Norman Geisler.
    http://www.ses.edu/journal/articles/2.1Geisler.pdf

Here the author spends the first three-fourths of the article showing how bad philosophy has crept into the church and influenced it in a negative way. But the real reason that I post this is due to the last section, entitled "How To Beware of Philosophy" which has some particularly wise advice for those of us who study in scholarly circles. The whole article should be standard reading for seminary students, but the last section should be standard reading for seminary graduates. Note the conclusions he makes at the end.

What think ye?

2. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Great article!

3. dcorbett

dcorbett Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I took an Ethics class and studied Hume and Kant....but I didn't have to believe them, just study them. My professor had no problem with me defending my Christianity....he enjoyed watching me win arguments with agnostics....and win, I DID.

Debbie Mc :jesus:

4. Charles Meadows

Charles Meadows New Member

Good observation Dcorbett.

Christians need not submit to the intellectual "higher powers" so to speak. But avoidance of "scholarship" is also to be discouraged. If we believe that God is sovereign and that His word is the final arbiter of truth then what have we to fear from studying? Most of the "great" philosophers grew their world views in godlessness - they started with the assumption that there need not be a "god". As such it should be no surprise that they come up with "nonChristian" worldviews.

Overall we should not put God and science at odds. If we hold God supreme then can we not learn from academic methods?

Remember Martin Luther's diatribe against Copernicus? Luther said that Copernicus' model of the earth orbiting the sun was impossible because it disagreed with the description of the sun orbiting the earth in Joshua. It turns out that Copernicus was right. But it was not the Bible that was wrong but rather Luther's reading of it.

5. Pipedude

Pipedude Active Member

As I remember it, he was having a conversation at mealtime and remarked that this upstart scientist thought that he could overthrow the accepted truth and the Holy Scriptures. I recall one sentence; maybe there were more.

Essentially all scientists agreed with Luther that Copericus was wrong, as all readers of the Bible did. I wouldn't call it a diatribe.