1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

A women who is a little person and deaf starting a church, opinions?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by mattjtayl, Oct 6, 2008.

1. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

ROFLOL! :laugh: :laugh:

2. mattjtayl

mattjtayl New Member

Yeah it is very much so for real. I love this women dearly. We were engaged to be married on sept 17, but I chocked and bailed out. We plan to marry very soon in the future as soon as I feel comfortable to do so.

As I told her we could always have the church where I am the minister and she is a assistant, but I don't think our church will prosper as much. I am not using her as a freak show, if you only saw us together like how our friends do you would understand. I am actually am a really small guy too so we match pretty good in height, I am normal though and not suffering from any form of dwarfism. Most girls I have dated have all been taller then me and it has made me feel very odd dating them, so I feel much more masculine around a girl this small. The amount of girls in this world who are shorter than I am are in very short supply ;)

3. donnA

donnA Active Member

I've seen really short guys with really tall girls and wondered if didn't it feel odd or something.
    If you loved her dearly you wouldn't want to display her on a stage to attract people and get money.
    I notice in all your describing this church you want to start you have yet to specify that the Lord is leading in this, so far we've only heard you had this idea. God never ever tells anyone to violate and disobey what He has already told us in scripture, so He doesn't tell women to take the lead over men in church by giving sermons, the scripture describes this position as being held by a man. So your girl friend is correct on this, and your trying to presuade her to disobey God. You base success on how many people would come a gawk at a little woman giving a sermon. Not on salvations and spiritual growth, which haven't been mentioned at all.
    All in all, from the information you've given us, God's not involved at all, and your real desire is for money.

4. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Hmm. It's seems odd to me that you would want to go into ministry with someone you're afraid to marry.

But Donna is correct. Women are not to lead men. They are forbidden to be pastors according to God's word. So you should not be encouraging her to disobey. If it is God's will for you to form a church, He will let you know. This requires prayer and waiting for God's answer.

5. ajg1959

ajg1959 New Member

I once dated a really short woman, and I was nuts over her, so I know what you mean.

But, I have to agree with the previous posters, the Bible mandates only men as pastors, and just because she is a novelty, that is not a reason for folks to go to church. Draw folks for the true gospel, and the church will prosper.

AJ

6. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

Explain what you mean by "an oddity."

7. ajg1959

ajg1959 New Member

What? are you quoting me?

I didnt ever say "an oddity"

AJ

8. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

This woman is not even your wife, so how do you plan to minister with her?

She should not be a minister and she is not even your wife - this is all wrong.

There are bound to be some ministries in existing churches where the Lord can use her if she wants to serve Him.

9. mattjtayl

mattjtayl New Member

Yes, but she soon will be my wife. I have bailed on a lot on her just because I have cold feet. I would bail out on any girl in marriage right now, I just don't feel secure enough for marriage.

What is morally wrong with having a minister with a women who is not my wife? We aren't living together and are not sleeping together. That doesn't happen until we marry.

I am not saying it will be set in stone that she will be the lead minister, I might decide to be the lead minister since she does the think the man leads, and I will manage the church. However she will assist me in my ministers. Basically be the brains behind the church, because she knows the bible a lot more then I do thats for sure.

Ok this is not something I am only doing for money , I am very offended by that, if you knew me you would know the kind of person I am. I am just thinking getting enough money so the church survives and keeps afloat. I am in this for way more then just money.

Both my girlfriend and I enjoy helping people. We see it as a great opportunity to offer something to the deaf and little people community that is lacking in todays society. If we could even get our sermons to broadcast on a local area channel for the deaf to watch, that would be even better. So many of the deaf, like my girlfriend feel at a loss at most churches. Most churches either provide no interpreter or severely lack in the deaf services for the deaf at churches. Its extremely rare to find a church that would offer their own deaf ministry for the deaf, an interpreter has to convert a minister's speech into sign language and unfortunately much meaning is lost that way. A sermon that was designed for the deaf on day one is going to mean much more to the deaf.

#29 mattjtayl, Oct 7, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 7, 2008
  10. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

Look at the original post. He said nothing about a freak show. You characterized her as a freak show. Your perception was that she is a freak show, not his.

11. Steven2006

Steven2006 New Member

Do either of you believe you are being called by God to do this? How much prayer time have you spent about it? For the most part I get the impression that you think it sounds like a good idea rather then being led by the Lord. In you OP it sounded like you were wanting to know what others thought about the idea, and focused more on the uniqueness of it rather than indicating how you are being led to do this. Also it sounds like you want this more than she does. She should not do this to please you, but because in her heart she is called to do this.

Personally I don't believe a woman should pastor a church, but setting that aside these questions should be answered.

12. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

If you don't feel secure enough for marriage, how do you feel secure enough to help start a church? Besides, what are you relying on - yourself or the Lord?

I think first of all a woman should not be a pastor. You seem to imply that you agree with this, so why are you doing it? But I think the closeness of ministering (using that word in a broad, general manner) as a couple with any woman is something that should only be done with a husband and wife team.

Do you think it's okay for a woman to be a pastor/minister? If you don't think so, do you realize the responsibilty you have in encouraging her to do something against God's word?

I said nothing about money - why are you saying this to me?

Then why don't you both go into a ministry for intepreting for and ministering to the deaf in churches? This is very needed.

13. ajg1959

ajg1959 New Member

Actually Steven, the Bible says that Men are to be the leaders, and that women should not have authority over men. It really doesnt matter what me or anyone else "believes"....what matters is what the bible says.

My mother-in-law was discussing joyce meyers and paula white, ect one day with me, and I quoted scripture from 1 Tim, that a pastor should be "the husband of one wife". She said that was just my "interpretation"....I didnt interpret anything, I just quoted word for word what the bible says. Sometimes we just need to read and obey, and not try to interpret so much.

AJ

14. Steven2006

Steven2006 New Member

I agree with you on this issue, I thought I made that point in my last paragraph. My point to the OP was that I didn't read anything where they were being led by God, but rather led by what he thought sounded unique and different.

15. donnA

donnA Active Member

Then why is he treating her like she is, talking about her like she is, p-lanning on making money from her like she is?
    And why are you following me around the board trying to start something with me, which has been going on for quite sometime now, in many threads, and several forums.

16. donnA

donnA Active Member

So you are doing it for money then.

If it is true you want to help people, and think most churches are lacking in this area, then do what Ann has well suggested and start working at one of those existing churches helping the deaf there, after all theres where you see the need to be at. But really you'd rathe rhave all these little people come out to your church so they can give money, and you two don't have too give, only collect.
    You still have as of yet to mention God's calling, only your plans, and of course the money.

17. mattjtayl

mattjtayl New Member

Well a church needs money to stay a float doesn't it? Every church I know of has to make money in order for the church to still function. To pay the bills so it can keep running the church. Every church needs money! If they didn't make any money they wouldn't be able to pay the bills and the church would shut down. I made it very clear I am doing this so the church has enough money to stay alive and not sink; it needs to be able to pay its bills.

18. ShotGunWillie

ShotGunWillie New Member

If I might say something.....

It is a freak show, the entire premise of them beginning a church is built off the woman (not wife) being a little person who is deaf. I feel like the qualifications to become a deacon would be you must resemble the wolf-boy from Brazil. And the oddity would be the idea in and of itself, its odd, its abnormal, and I don't see God's hand in it at all.

Why? You might ask, the OP title is enough to draw your conclusions. He doesn't begin with, my girlfriend and I feel lead by the Lord to start a church, to minster to people. We will be married soon when I get up the nerve to actually go through with it, its not that I don't love her, I do, but I am just nervous and some what afraid, its a big step. Then within that OP he could have made mention of her stature if he thought it to be important as well as her being deaf. But her disabilities or different abilities should not be the driving force to begin a church. I don't see the Great Commission or anything of the like in the OP. I don't see the hand of the Lord, which is most important of all. The fact that things were added later in other posts tell me that those things were nothing more than after thoughts.

For you to pick apart others post and assume they mean something they don't is wrong.

I think Tim is dead on with his thoughts...

19. donnA

donnA Active Member

Yet you make excuses for not giving, or rather for your girlfriend not giving. But you expect others to give to you.
    And so far you haven't been talking about money for church, but making money, that means money for you, not church, churches don't 'make money', to 'make money' describes a for profit company, not church.

#39 donnA, Oct 8, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 8, 2008
  20. ShotGunWillie

ShotGunWillie New Member

I hate these freaking pop up ads, they are driving me bonkers, I don't want to see a Wii remote going nutso on my screen.

Okay, so you have yourself an idea, marketing campaign, and a strategy to generate business.