1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

A women who is a little person and deaf starting a church, opinions?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by mattjtayl, Oct 6, 2008.

1. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

As I stated, then go to a church and help start a deaf ministry. To start a whole new church, unless there is NO church in your area that is Biblical, is quite redundant and I don't think it's wise. You want to start a new church for the deaf and little people and want to make sure you make enough money to pay for things - so why not utilize the already existing church and add your ministry to that? As I mentioned in my earlier post, that's how our own deaf church started and now it's got it's own church service, it's own small groups and it's own pastor - yet it has the benefit of being in a larger body of Christ for the support both spiritually and financially. My children are exposed to the deaf community and have learned that people come with all different abilities or lack of abilities yet they are still their brothers and sisters in Christ.

2. donnA

donnA Active Member

Ann I've seen a lot of churches start that way, being a ministry in an already existing church, with church support, and when it grew they became their own church.

3. mattjtayl

mattjtayl New Member

There are a couple problems with this.

1) Then this wouldn't be a church just for the deaf, it would be an added service for people who are deaf. There are many deaf churches out there, if they can do it we can do it. The deaf should have the right to form their very own church independent of any other church ruling over them.

2) We would have to conform to the beliefs of the church we wanted to add this ministry too, and my girlfriend and I have very strong beliefs that we refuses to change.

#43 mattjtayl, Oct 8, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 8, 2008
  4. ShotGunWillie

ShotGunWillie New Member

Are those beliefs in line with the word of God? I am sure there are churches in need of contributors that are in line with your beliefs, depending on what they may be.

I for one am curious as to know what beliefs you have conviction for that a church would differ on.

5. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Me, too. :thumbs:

6. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

In my opinion, most every church should be a plant from an existing church. Our church has planted many churches around the world and in the deaf church we have, it functions very well for the deaf community. While it's a part of our own church, it does many things on it's own knowing the deaf community better than we do. But I don't see where it is best to start from scratch a brand new church. I don't think that it's Biblical NOR prudent.

If you have beliefs that line up with Scripture, that shouldn't be a problem at all. But if you have beliefs that are outside of Scripture, then that's a different story.

In reading your posts on this subject, I see a few things. I see a Lone Ranger sort of thinking - "we can do it ourselves and we don't need nobody". I see a bit of pride shining through. What I lack seeing here is "we've been seeking God for His will in this". I don't know but I see big issues here and big red flags. Honestly, this is the kind of attitude that I see cults beginning, not Christian churches.

7. mattjtayl

mattjtayl New Member

And what is wrong if I want to start another Waco with my 3'10" girlfriend? I can just see her throwing hand grenades at church dissenters and carrying a semi-automatic. She is one scary little women, you better run if you meet her strolling at you on four wheels in her power scooter. Who knows what WMD's she might have planted under that scooter? Look out !

#47 mattjtayl, Oct 9, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 9, 2008
  8. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Why do you spell 'woman' as 'women' in the OP and here: "She is one scary little women."

Your attitude does not strike me as a pastoral one - not speaking of the above statement but the whole thread.

You asked for views and then get sort of belligerent if anyone disagrees with your plans or points out problems.

I'm wondering if this whole thing is just you pulling our leg(s).

9. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

I believe that the church of the Lord Jesus Christ is to be "as wise as serpents but as gentle as doves"

The church is to imitate Jesus------not Wyatt Eyurp and Doc Holiday

10. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Matt,

I came up with a sermon idea the other day, while I was mowing the grass. Let me tell you, I can tell a story, so as I was going through this in my head, I was emphasizing certain points, and knowing that I could really get them energized at this point, possibly even crying at this point, so on, and so on. I ended the visualization with the members of the congregation filing past me, telling me what a great job I did, and how much they loved what I said. And that's when I realized that I was crafting a sermon motivated by the love of the praises of men. So I scrapped the whole idea.

Your opening posts indicated that putting your girlfriend up on the stage was based on a "novelty" situation; how many people would come see the deaf midget female? (please forgive my bluntness in paraphrasing what you said, but that's basically what you said) What's your motivation in doing this?

If I could get my heart and mind right, and do that story & sermon for the glory of God instead of looking for people to tell me what a great job I did, I would talk to my pastor and get myself up behind that podium in a heartbeat. But my motivations aren't correct.

Examine yourself. If your goal is truly to see souls saved, then do what's right, and do it biblically. Up til now, you haven't presented this as a work to see souls saved, and that's what's got people in a tizzy. Emphasize what the true goal of doing this would be...but make sure you first know what that is.