1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

ABA--Missionary Baptists

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Speedpass, Sep 12, 2003.

1. Speedpass

Speedpass Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There are alot more ABA churches in my part of Arkansas than there are SBC. Does anybody know anything about this Baptist group(their stand on inerrancy, KJV-onlyism, communion, end time theology, etc.) Thank you.

Jimmy

2. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here's their doctrinal statement:

STATEMENT OF FAITH

I'm sure there are some folks here who can give a better view from the local church level.

3. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In several Arkansas counties, the American Baptist Association makes up the largest group of Baptists in the county. On the mentioned topics:

Inerrancy - probably every church and pastor would profess to believe in inspiration and inerrancy.

KJV-onlyism - there will be some, but the messengers have tended to resist resolutions, etc. favoring the KJV over other versions. Probably the majority of folks would be KJV-preferred. I know of two seminaries with a strong KJV/Majority text stand, but they probably should not be termed KJV-only in the sense many on this board would think of it. Most of their seminaries, though, are not Majority text advocates, as far as I am acquainted with them.

Communion - probably 95% of the churches are closed communion (local church members only) and maybe 100% in Arkansas. A few churches have always observed close communion (like faith & order) and never adopted closed communion. A few churches have gone back to close communion, but with a more "modern" slant. A very few churches have moved to open communion, but by doing so risk their fellowship with the majority.

End time theology - consistently dispensational premillennial, but with a good mix of pre-trib, mid-trib, pre-wrath, and post-trib.

If he sees this, maybe brother Osgatharp will speak more directly to Arkansas ABA Baptists. The majority of churches are in the Arkansas, Texas, Oklahoma, Louisiana area, but California and Florida actually have more ABA churches than Louisiana and Oklahoma.

[ September 12, 2003, 10:53 PM: Message edited by: rlvaughn ]

4. matthewkyle

matthewkyle Guest

Here is a link to the ABA homepage:

American Baptist Association

They are very conservative. More fundamental than most SBC churches. The denomination my church fellowships with(the Baptist Missionary Association of America - BMAA) is a splinter group that split from the ABA in 1950. The ABA seminaries are controlled by the local church, none are accredited by a regional accrediting body, and some are very racist.

5. J.R. Graves

J.R. Graves New Member

ExxonMobil,

What do the Southern Baptist churches in your area of Arkansas believe about these things? Are there many Southern Baptist churches there that still hold to strict closed communion?

Just wondering,

6. Speedpass

Speedpass Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't know; there are very few SBC churches in "my part", consdiering Arkansas is part of the "Bible Belt". What I do know is that concerning the SBC controversy, Arkansas is more conservative than say Texas or North Carolina.