1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Abbreviated Word Study G5087, tithemi

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Van, Aug 21, 2014.

1. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yet another "taint so" post which includes several ad hominems, i.e. you silly boy, try rereading, and yet you teach?

Working theories get tweaked along the way. Designated and assigned are pretty close in meaning and was simply acknowledging that fact.

2. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Please explain your rationale. It doesn't make any sense to the rest of us.

3. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your constant, lets change the subject posts make sense to me, since you seem not to know how to actually do biblical word studies.

1 Peter 2:8, and, “A STONE OF STUMBLING AND A ROCK OF OFFENSE”; for they stumble because they are disobedient to the word, and to this doom they were also appointed.

Again, they were designated or assigned because of their stumbling over salvation through faith and not works.

#23 Van, Aug 30, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 30, 2014
  4. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Van you can try to run, but you can't hide from me. You merely assert that 1 Peter 2:8 deals with faith vs. works. But there is nothing in the whole context of verses 4-10 that lends any support whatsoever to your novel take. You, as I said before, are a master of eisegesis.

Instead of assertions you need to demonstrate --prove your point. Can you show where any theologian --pastor, author, scholar has shown your interpretation? If not, why not? Are you the sole repository of truth? Can you admit that you totally flubbed on this one?

5. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How about they stumbled due to being staying in Adam, and not being found in Christ!

6. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    More drivel from those who do not seem to know how to do word studies.

First we have the "you cannot run from me" blowhardism.

Then a repeat effort to change the subject to the context of 1 Peter 2:8.

Then another insult.

Then, an argument from personal incredulity.

Then I am charged, once again, with being unable to admit to error.

On and on it goes, a deliberate effort to derail any discussion of the topic of the thread.

“Tithemi” has three basic meanings,
    (1) to set something somewhere;
    (2) to change the status of someone for a purpose; and
    (3) to present or set forth an idea or account, such as set forth the gospel.​

7. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You have quoted the above --yet you studiously avoid its import. Why scamper around? You beg for discussion --well, discuss what I have put before you. You can't handle a critique of your cherised "translations." However, as you have acknowledged elsewhere: "It has been suggested these translation choices are out of the mainstream." Yes indeedy, that is certainly the case.

8. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    More addressing my supposed behavior, and nothing new concerning the topic.

(3) to present or set forth an idea or account, such as set forth the gospel. ​

The second basic meaning of Tithemi is to change the status of someone for a purpose, either by designating a person for a task or office, or by establishing needed characteristics of a person such that they can complete a task or fulfill the requirements of the office.

So if the context indicates a unilateral designation, then tithemi could be translated as "assign" or "designate," but if a person is both equipped and placed, then either "equipped and placed" or "established" seem better translation choices because the gifting by the Holy Spirit is not left out of the text.

#28 Van, Sep 1, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2014
  9. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Does the cat have your tongue Van?

10. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    More addressing my supposed behavior, and nothing new concerning the topic.

(3) to present or set forth an idea or account, such as set forth the gospel.

The second basic meaning of Tithemi is to change the status of someone for a purpose, either by designating a person for a task or office, or by establishing needed characteristics of a person such that they can complete a task or fulfill the requirements of the office.

So if the context indicates a unilateral designation, then tithemi could be translated as "assign" or "designate," but if a person is both equipped and placed, then either "equipped and placed" or "established" seem better translation choices because the gifting by the Holy Spirit is not left out of the text.

11. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Van, you need to see the error of your ways. I have laid things out very simply for you to understand. Deal with what I have presented --meet it head-on. Don't wimp-out. You can't run forever. You do your best to avoid discussion. If your take is so superior --then surely you can deal with a counter view.

#31 Rippon, Sep 4, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2014
  12. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    More "Van bashing" more change the subject, and more absurdity.

All these hate filled posts from someone who seems not to even know how to do a word study.

1 Peter 2:8, and, “A STONE OF STUMBLING AND A ROCK OF OFFENSE”; for they stumble because they are disobedient to the word, and to this doom they were also appointed.

Again, they were designated or assigned because of their stumbling over salvation through faith and not works.

G5087,“Tithemi” has three basic meanings, to set something somewhere; (2)to change the status of someone for a purpose; and (3) to present or set forth an idea or account, such as set forth the gospel.

#32 Van, Sep 4, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2014
  13. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is not a single source you can point to that would give you any credence. There is nothing in the context about the issue of faith vs. works. Not a single commentary --not one. You are alone in your aberration --and hence --you will fall of your own weight.

14. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yet another off topic post, referring to a logical fallacy argument. You have got to love them, folks.

Is G5087 translated as assigned? Rippon, the fount of disinformation says no. But "tithemi" is translated as "assigned" in the NASB at Matthew 24:57 and Luke 12:46.

15. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is no such reference except in your Van-tran.

16. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are lying Van. That won't get you very far.
    In Matthew 24:51 and Luke 12:46 "assigned" is found in the NIV and a majority of translations. No argument. You just have not been paying attention Van.

17. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just to keep Van informed about what I had said way back on the first page of this thread --see the above.

18. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Rippon discussed my usage of "assigned" in his post #18, but now pretends otherwise. You have got to love them, folks.

All Rippon is doing is trying to disparage word study by "Van bashing."

Word study helps build our understanding of God's word. That is why we have lexicons, Exhaustive Concordances, Bible Dictionaries, Commentaries, and Study Bibles like the NASB, NKJV, WEB, NET and HCSB.

19. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have discussed it many times in this thread. But what I quoted in my previous post was from my #5. You had forgotten, and I reminded you.
    And the NIV, ESV, NLT etc.

By the way, I don't believe that the WEB has a study edition. You are misinformed.

20. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You have got to love them folks. Now we get Rippon the mind reader telling you what I had forgotten.