1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Abbreviated Word Study G5087, tithemi

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Van, Aug 21, 2014.

1. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    [snipped] No mind reading was required.

#41 Rippon, Sep 4, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2014
  2. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My assertion is that "designated or assigned" would better translate G5087, tithemi, than appointed at 1 Peter 2:8.

I pointed out that the NASB does indeed translate Tithemi as assigned at Matthew 24:51 and Luke 12:46. Thus, Rippon's claim that no source would give me credence was false and misleading, since tithemi is indeed translated as assigned. Never mind other translations and lexicons. You have got to love them, folks.

3. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And I had said that destined or appointed are better suited back in post #9.
    I have never differed with that. Most translations use the word assigned in those verses. I said that in post 5 : "The word assign is quite ideal."

I had to repeat myself due to your constant misrepresentations. I did so in posts 36, and 37. In the latter I told you I was trying "to keep Van informed." You misrepresented me yet again and I said in post #39 :"You had forgotten, and I remined you."
    I had said in post number 33 that your contention --that 1 Peter 2:8 has to do with the issue of faith vs. works has no credence. Not a single commentary backs you up with your aberrant claim.

Aside from your ever-present hubris --your habitual mendacity is quite galling. Tell the truth Van. If you have any points to make --do not lie to further your agenda.

4. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yet another "bash Van" post having nothing to do with the topic.

And then a repeat of the effort to change the subject and discuss why Christ is a stumbling block to the Jews. You have got to love them, folks.

5. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    [Offensive language to another poster snipped - that sort of conduct will get you kicked out of here

Deal with the topic, not your Christian brother or sister]

#45 Rippon, Sep 6, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2014
  6. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Folks, the topic is the word study of G5087, tithemi, and how it could be better rendered in scripture. The topic is not why Christ is a stumbling block to the Jews.

7. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And 1 Peter 2:8 has absolutely nothing to do with the issue of faith vs. works either.

8. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Great point, why Christ is a stumbling block to the Jews is not the topic and neither is the context of 1 Peter 2:8. However, our word, Tithemi does appear in the verse and the best translation choice, given the context, is assigned or designated.

9. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    On the contrary, it has indeed been the topic in a number of the posts on this thread by you and myself.
    You run from contexts -- it is the death knell of your fundamental translational philosophy.

From your OP :"They were designated because of their stumbling over salvation through faith and not works."

No, Van. That precious stone --Christ Himself --causes people to stumble because they disobey the message --which is what they were destined (appointed) for.

Faith vs. works has nothing to do with the context. And because context runs counter to so many of your "translations" you err.

10. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Great point, why Christ is a stumbling block to the Jews is not the topic and neither is the context of 1 Peter 2:8. However, our word, Tithemi does appear in the verse and the best translation choice, given the context, is assigned or designated.

Rippon sprinkles "context dust" over all his misdirection. Why, you took that out of context. Why you do not know the context. Why you run from context. On and on, but nary a word on the context of this thread, the use of Tithemi in scripture as assigned or designated. You have got to love them folks.

11. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Of course from your agenda you don't want to deal with the context. It does not help your cause.
    In your lone estimation. You are all alone on your branch.
    Why do you write like Tonto?
    [/quote]
    That's because your word choice of assigned or designated has been proven to fall short of acceptance in 1 Peter 2:8. But in Matt. 24:51 and Luke 12:46 assign is fine.

12. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    More disdain, more effort to disparage, and nonsense.
    Is Tithemi translated as assigned or am I all along?

The fact that Rippon does not accept my views has been well documented.

“Tithemi” has three basic meanings,
    (1) to set something somewhere;
    (2) to change the status of someone for a purpose; and
    (3) to present or set forth an idea or account, such as set forth the gospel. ​
    The second basic meaning of Tithemi is to change the status of someone for a purpose, either by designating a person for a task or office, or by establishing needed characteristics of a person such that they can complete a task or fulfill the requirements of the office.

So if the context indicates a unilateral designation, then tithemi could be translated as "assign" or "designate," but if a person is both equipped and placed, then either "equipped and placed" or "established" seem better translation choices because the gifting by the Holy Spirit is not left out of the text.

13. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are all alone on your train. But we are not coming "along" with you.
    What an astute observation.

14. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Tithemi is translated as assigned, so I am not alone. But Rippon said I was. Nuff said.

15. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Only in Matt. 24:51 and Luke 12:46. But it doesn't work in Acts 1:7, 1 Thess. 5:9 and 1 Peter 2:8. No translation has your offering in those places --you are all alone in your opinion.

And I still can't get over why you think set forth is so good in Acts 5:4 where the passage speaks of what was going on in the heart of Ananias.

16. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yet another evasion. Other translators translate tithemi as assigned. And the claim "it does not work" is without merit, because arguments from personal incredulity are logical fallacies.

Acts 5:4, While it remained unsold, did it not remain your own? And after it was sold, was it not under your control? Why is it that you have conceived this deed in your heart? You have not lied to men but to God.”

Here I think set forth captures the idea better, the evil plan was not just conceived, it was developed, arranged and set forth in his heart as a plan of action.

#56 Van, Sep 12, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2014
  17. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    But not in Acts 1:7, 1 Thess. 5;9 and 1 Peter 2:8. You are the lone holdout for your particular rendering --but then you are not a translator.
    But your claims are far more credible? That is an incredible claim Van.
    One sets forth something verbally --not in the heart. Set forth refers to speech --not the thoughts of the heart.

18. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Other translators translate tithemi as assigned. And the claim "it does not work" is without merit, because arguments from personal incredulity are logical fallacies. Since one of the word meanings of tithemi is designate or assign, then designate or assign can be used in each verse where the context indicates designate or assign is the contextually indicated meaning.

Acts 5:4, While it remained unsold, did it not remain your own? And after it was sold, was it not under your control? Why is it that you have conceived this deed in your heart? You have not lied to men but to God.”

Here I think set forth captures the idea better, the evil plan was not just conceived, it was developed, arranged and set forth in his heart as a plan of action. Can our wicked and depraved heart set forth a wicked and depraved plan of action? Judge for yourself.

19. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    But not in Acts 1:7, 1 Thess. 5:9 and 1 Peter 2:8. Please prove that I'm wrong.
    Oh, now you've had a revelation. You are finally acknowledging that context is primary in determining meaning and not a lexicon.
    The words "set forth" is an oral activity --not a heart action.

20. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Other translators translate tithemi as assigned. And the claim "it does not work" is without merit, because arguments from personal incredulity are logical fallacies. Since one of the word meanings of tithemi is designate or assign, then designate or assign can be used in each verse where the context indicates designate or assign is the contextually indicated meaning.

Here I think set forth captures the idea better, the evil plan was not just conceived, it was developed, arranged and set forth in his heart as a plan of action. Can our wicked and depraved heart set forth a wicked and depraved plan of action? Judge for yourself.