1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Abbreviations

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Dr. Bob, May 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Slambo

Slambo New Member

I'm not KJVO because I know theres more English translations--from the TR-- that are just as much the word as the KJV.So much vitriol from you guys!!

2. DesiderioDomini

DesiderioDomini New Member

Do you feel the TR is a perfect copy of God's word, or could it use revision?

What is your opinion on the accuracy of Revelation 17:8 as found in the TR?

3. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What I find interesting is the simultaneous use of AV1611 (Authorized VERSION 1611) and KJB.

4. Askjo

Askjo New Member

None!

5. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    And, back on topic,

W/H = Wescott and Hort, two Bible scholars who compiled hundreds of Greek manuscipts to arrive at another "eclectic" (blended) Greek text that rivals the . .

TR = Textus Receptus, name given to a blend of 6-8 Greeks texts (but typical of almost ALL of the 5000+ manuscripts) about 20 years AFTER the . .

AV1611 = Authorized Version by James I in 1611 to replace the Bishop's Bible for the Anglican Church that was the work of some of the greatest Bible scholars ever, and has been revised a number of times, as well as 100+ "editions" and is in present form the

KJV = King James Version of the Bible, with the most common revisions in our hands today being the 1762 Cambridge edition or the 1769 Oxford edition.

MT = Majority Text which is another compilation of Greek manuscripts from the 17th Century and

NAA/UBS Nestle, Aland, Aland and United Bible Society eclectic compiliation of all the Greek NT manuscripts, with special focus on some of the "lost" manuscripts discovered in the past 150 years and not available to earlier compilers.

Other abbreviations?

6. DeclareHim

DeclareHim New Member

LXX= Greek translation of the Hebrew Scriptures translated in Alexandria Eygpt around 250 B.C.

7. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

:rolleyes: [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Ed

8. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

The MLB for the New Berkeley Version, standing for Modern Language Bible;

The 'evolution' of "Good News for Modern Man" (a misnomer, if ever there was one) to the TEV for the "Today's English Version", into the GNB, short for "Good News Bible", the current preferred (by the publisher, probably in order to sell more copies) name for that one.

The Th.D. at many seminaries becoming a Ph.D.

Oh, uh- sorry!

Wrong thread on this last one! :D :rolleyes: :eek: [​IMG] [​IMG]

Ed

9. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

RV- The Revised Version of 1881, a double first cousin to the ASV.

RSV- The reversed 'er I mean Revised Standard Version of 1952? (Uncertain about the year whether 1951 or 1952, but couldn't resist making the 'funny' wisecrack I heard in Bible College over 30 years ago.)

I believe the Goodspeed has an initialed designation, but do not remember it, at this time.

How about the various 'letter' designations for many of the various Greek Manuscripts, such as "A", "B", "C", "D", etc., which cover the entire English Alphabet, and many letters of the Greek alphabet, as well?

Ed

10. TomVols

TomVols New Member

MSS = manuscripts

11. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    Smith-Goodspeed American Translation (SGAT) named for J. M. Powis Smith, the OT editor, and Edgar J. Goodspeed, the NT translator.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.