1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

ABC/Disney to air first lesbian kiss on daytime TV...

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by I Am Blessed 24, Apr 17, 2003.

1. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

The Disney Empire is breaking new ground again in their attempt to legitimize homosexuality among teenagers.

The ABC network will air the first lesbian kiss on daytime television next Tuesday during the soap opera "All My Children."

ABC/Disney continues to promote a dangerous and unhealthy lifestyle. Because ABC/Disney has repeatedly shown little concern for responsible broadcasting, I am encouraging you to contact your local station by taking the following action:

Find your local ABC station by CLICKING HERE.

Send a letter to your local ABC affiliate station and tell them daytime broadcasting of homosexual lovers in action is a violation of your town's community standard.

Ask for your letter to be placed in the station's public file. The Federal Communications Commission requires all written, faxed, and email messages be placed in the local station's public file. This file is reviewed before a station's license is renewed.

Please feel free to use the sample message below, when you contact your local station:

Dear Station Manager,

I am offended that (call letters) might air the first daytime television lesbian kiss. Your station's promotion of homosexuality presents a dangerous and unhealthy lifestyle to our community.

As a viewer, I am requesting that you pre-empt the April 22 episode of "All My Children." In addition, I am requesting that you place this letter in your public file, as mandated by Federal Law (47 U.S.C. 73.3526(e)(9))

Sincerely,

(your name)
    (address)

I emailed the two ABC stations in my area. When you go to the site to find out where your local staions are, the email addresses are listed if they have one.

Blessings,
    Sue

2. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I would hardly call a lesbian kiss an assault on teenagers, as the average teen has no business watching daytime soaps in the first place. Soaps are programs you watch when you purposefully want to watch inappropriate behavior. :eek: I don't see what difference a lesbian kiss will make, since every show is replete with adultery as it is. Perhaps the letter should have been worded as such, and perhaps the letter should have gone out years ago:

Dear Station Manager,

I am offended that (call letters) currently airs daytime television adultery and fornication. Your station's promotion of extramarital sexuality presents a dangerous and unhealthy lifestyle to our community.

As a viewer, I am requesting that you pre-empt every episode of "All My Children." In addition, I am requesting that you place this letter in your public file, as mandated by Federal Law (47 U.S.C. 73.3526(e)(9))

Sincerely,

(your name)
    (address)

3. stubbornkelly

stubbornkelly New Member

John, you make a good point.

But "a violation of your town's community standard?" Is that a step toward calling a lesbian kiss obscenity? I don't see that this is all that different than any other depiction of an unmarried couple kissing - and I know there are those on this board who would say that an unmarried couple shouldn't be kissing at all anyway, so in that case, why is this exceptional?

Personally, it doesn't bother me. If it does someone else, I suggest they don't watch it. And if someone's kids have nothing better to do than watch soaps, and the parents aren't willing to find better programming for them, well, let's just say I wouldn't blame the network for said kids' moral "disintegration."

4. Johnv

Johnv New Member

You bring up a good point. Does a simple kiss (regardless of gender) constitute graphic sexual behavior? If it does, then why are we allowing them on the air now?

5. I Am Blessed 24

That's just the point John. The average teen is doing a lot of things they should not be doing. And they are very vulnerable and searching. It is bad enough that they watch adultery and fornication freely on TV. Why make it worse with lesbians kissing?

And if ABC/Disney get by with this....where will it end? It personally sickens me to see two people of the same sex kissing or fondling each other. I may have to get rid of my TV if it becomes normal, prime-time fare.

JMO,
    Sue

6. I Am Blessed 24

I certainly hope so because it IS obscene.

:rolleyes:
    Sue

7. Johnv

Johnv New Member

And if ABC/Disney get by with this....where will it end?
    My point is that soaps have been showing the same thing for 45 years: Adulterous and fornicative behavior, and the Christian community has not bothered to address it significantly.

OTOH, what if the pendulum swings the other way, then where will it end? Will two women holding hands be considered obscene, then? What about a gaggle of girls going to the bathroom at the same time? Would that be obecene? After all, for men, if two guys go to the bathroom together, peoples' eyebrows go up. And don't even get me started about stories of me taking my girls to the bathroom when they were younger. Talk about getting dirty looks from moms!!!

The average teen is doing a lot of things they should not be doing.
    And by watching heterosexual adulterous behavior on soaps, how will that help, exactly?

I certainly hope so because it IS obscene.
    So a married man rolling around in bed with his mistress is not obscene, but two women kissing is??? Don't you think that's rather one-sided?

8. JamesJ

JamesJ New Member

Thanks for the sample letter Sue.
    I'll be sending mine out later today.

9. I Am Blessed 24

John: I have never said that your first example was not obscene. This thread, however, is not about that. It is about the 'first lesbian kiss' on daytime TV.

Don't hijack my thread. Start another thread on your first example, I will debate you! [​IMG]

jbarner: You're welcome!

Blessings,
    Sue

10. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I bow in humility, as I wish not to hijack this thread ;) . I did, however, wish to point out the comparison. Worrying about a girl-girl kiss on a soap is like closing the barn door after the horses have gotten out.

11. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Correct, now it's an issue of damage control. [​IMG]
    Gina

12. bobfrgsn

bobfrgsn New Member

Daytime TV to get first lesbian kiss
    Reuters
    Apr. 14, 2003 02:04 PM

LOS ANGELES - Daytime television viewers -- considered to be among America's most conservative audiences -- will see their first on-screen lesbian kiss next week, ABC television said on Monday.

The kiss will take place during the April 22 episode of the Emmy-award winning soap opera ''All My Children,'' making what ABC said would be a first in the world of daytime television.

It comes in a scene featuring gay teen character Bianca Montgomery (Eden Riegel), who came out as a lesbian in 2000, and her new friend Lena (Olga Sosnovska) who ''in a moment of truth and true love ... comes to terms with her feelings.''

''All My Children'' has tackled a number of controversial topics during its 33 years on the air including AIDS, abortion, drug abuse, racial bias and teenage alcoholism.

''The theme of 'All My Children' from the beginning is the belief that, as God's children, we are all bound to each other by our common humanity despite our many personal differences; that it is our failure to understand and respect those differences that causes most of life's pain and suffering,'' said the show's creator, Agnes Nixon, in a statement..

''The Bianca story is our latest effort to dramatize that belief,'' she added

Bobfrgsn: I am amazed at the acceptance of many young people with regard to homosexual behavior. They seem to accept it as a fact of life. Most of the youth that I know are church going kids.

13. Johnv

Johnv New Member

...it's an issue of damage control

Except that two women kissing is not fornication or adultery. Appropriate damage control would be eliminating adultery and fornication from soaps first, don't ya think?

14. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Nope. Same sex sex is along the lines of bestiality. I'd go for controlling displays of that before controlling displays of unnatural sin before displays of unnatural sin.
    Gina

15. j_barner2000

j_barner2000 Member

Bob I have to agree with you. Homosexual behavior has been "normalized" by our society. This really bothers me. The more sin we allow to become normalized the farther the church moves from God along with the society we live in. This invites God's judgement upon us all.

16. I Am Blessed 24

I received this email from ABC today. Obviously, the kiss will be aired. GINA: Let's go to DAMAGE CONTROL! I wish there were enough Christians to boycott ALL of the programs on NBC, but I don't see that happening.

Dear Sue,

We are in receipt of your e-mail regarding the Wednesday April 23rd episode of "All My Children". As required by the FCC and at your request your e-mail has been placed in our Public File. We sincerely regret your displeasure with our decision to air this episode. We hope you will continue to view other programming on WAND and ABC that you find entertaining and informative.

Sincerely,
    Tracey Cole
    Program Manager

:mad:
    Sue

[ April 21, 2003, 04:54 PM: Message edited by: I Am Blessed 16 ]

17. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Same sex sex is along the lines of bestiality.

Actually, same sex copulation is biblically equivalent to fornication. The worst sexual sin biblically is adultery, btw, since it involves breaking a covanent with God. But we're not talking about sex. We're talking about a kiss.

There's no way you can tell me that a display of a same sex kiss is a greater sin than a display of heterosexual adultery. Doing so simply trivializes God's biblical condemnation of adultery.

18. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Just a clarification: "All My Children" airs on ABC, not NBC. It has been running since about 1969.

19. bobfrgsn

bobfrgsn New Member

Maybe Fred Phelps is the way to go. He portrays the love of God in such a positive way. If you have real video you can watch the trailer from Fred the Movie:

http://www.fredthemovie.com/movies/Trailer.ram

I do agree with Johnv. I do not believe that same sex intercourse in God's plan for men and women ... but I think that adultery and fornication, being far more prevelant, are worst forms of sinning against God. There is tons of Scripture to support this view.

20. I Am Blessed 24

I disagree. God burned Sodom because of homosexuality; NOT adultery and fornication.