1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Abeka DVD's?

Discussion in 'Homeschooling Forum' started by abcgrad94, Apr 29, 2008.

1. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Has anyone here used them? Are they worth the price? I would only want them for math for my oldest, who will be in the 6th grade. Would it be worth it to buy them just for one subject (math)? I don't think we'd need the DVD's for the other subjects, really.

2. dcorbett

dcorbett Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Abeka was what my two young grand daughters started with, and when their parents were forced to put them back into public school (finances) they were a GRADE LEVEL ABOVE their age group.

I highly recommend Abeka.

Debbie Mc

3. PamelaK

PamelaK New Member

A Beka is an excellent curriculum. I would recommend them for anything but Spanish, where they dropped the ball IMO and and in many other Spanish teachers' also that I know.
    Their math curriculum is great. Be prepared - it is also advanced. I have never used their DVD program, but I am assuming that it is just their academy teachers using the A Beka curriculum, so it should be the same I am familiar with.

4. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

Right now there are 1,669 Abeka items for sale on eBay. That's where I would shop if I needed something.

5. dcorbett

dcorbett Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Be careful on Ebay with Abeka, Sue. I had ordered some things, and I got the wrong grade levels. People don't know how to accurately post Abeka items with as great a detail as a parent needs to find the right item.

Debbie

6. I Am Blessed 24

That's true. When I sold my Abeka books, I just posted the basics and interested buyers would email me and ask more specific questions and I answered them to make sure they were getting what they wanted. I sold every single one!

7. Analgesic

Analgesic New Member

I strongly recommend that you first speak with someone who's used the particular video you're interested in. The usefulness of the video is highly dependent upon the skill of the teacher of the particular class being videotaped. While some of them are superb and greatly helpful, others are poor to the point of being detrimental.

8. dcorbett

dcorbett Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    She IS speaking to someone that knows the videos. Read my first post. I personally witnessed 26 children at various levels using ABEKA....and everyone improved scholatically.

9. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks for your replies. We are very familiar with Abeka as we've always used their materials with our kids. (except for the dvd's) I was just wondering if it was worth the cost to get the whole set if we would only use it for one subject, math. When we homeschooled before, I was able to teach everything myself, without needing the videos, but my oldest is going into the 6th grade and I'm not sure about the math.

10. PamelaK

PamelaK New Member

You may have checked into this already, but if I am not mistaken, the DVD's can be purchased separately in the jr high/high years. Maybe it is just high school, not sure. But it's been a long time since I was given that info, so they may do it now for the lower grades as well.

11. I Am Blessed 24

Check out this LINK and see if there is anything there you can use.

12. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

6th grade math is not much more than fractions, decimals and wait, fractions, decimal and fractions and decimals and last but not least you might get into what is supposed to pass for statistics (mean, median, mode and range) and maybe just maybe they'll learn what a negative number is(don't count on it) or how to find perimeter and area of a simple shape.

Guess what 7th grade math is? Same stuff all over again. :rolleyes:

I can't imagine that you will have a hard time teaching those. (said by the woman who studied engineering in college)

I'm hoping "pre-algebra" for my eighth grader will be less repetitve, cause if I see one more fraction....... :eek:

13. PamelaK

PamelaK New Member

Hi MK! The Abeka curriculum is fairly advanced, although fractions and decimals are definitely covered, and as you said, shapes and stats. But I found there was always something that challenged me, even in the lower grades, even if it was just the method they used to arrive at a solution, but then, I never studied engineering - lol, so I don't know...Anyway, I copied this description from the Abeka Book website for the 6th grade math curriculum:

The teach/reteach approach and abundant practice problems in this worktext help your student master skills and concepts. Almost daily, story problems and frequent problem-solving strategies make arithmetic practical. Excellent emphasis is given to problem solving, percents, basic geometry, measures, fractions, decimals, proportions, beginning algebra, prime and composite numbers, graphs and statistics, and practical arithmetic, such as banking, budgeting, and purchasing electricity.

#13 PamelaK, May 2, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2008
  14. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

LOL! I found my problem!

Okay, in all seriousness. I used a combination of Switched on Schoolhouse and the regular public school math books and I gotta tell you, if your description above is from the 6th grade, we did exactly that in the 7th. But guess what, because I followed Chris so closely last year in public school I know that a lot of what we done this year was a repeat of last year.

15. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks for all your help. I don't mind fractions, etc. It's the algebra I can't handle. We've decided not to get the dvd's this year since from your descriptions, I'm pretty sure we can teach this grade level of math. If not, we might go with a different math curriculum instead of Abeka. I really like Abeka, but have noticed the math is very repetitive and there's a LOT of it they have to do every day. (YAWN)

We are going to get the dvd's for our youngest, though, simply because her learning style is different and I think she'll do better with them.

16. dcorbett

dcorbett Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    (smile) and a lot to do every day along with repetitive lessons is the ONLY way a math retard like me could learn.

In public school back when they really taught the way they should, we used to stand at the board every single day and work algebra problems. I hated it, I hated all the homework......but you know what? If that hadn't happened, I would NEVER have passed the classes.

Just thought I would throw that in as food for thought. :type:

17. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Same here. I made straight A's in school except for math. I used to sit in class and cry I hated it soooooo bad.

Now why'd ya have to go and remind me about standing at the chalkboard?:laugh: After all these years, I had buried that image in my head, and now it's come back to haunt me.

18. dcorbett

dcorbett Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Come back to haunt you, eh? I chuckled when I read that.

When I started on completion of that old attempted degree, the very first class I tackled was my College Algebra - and I got an A!!!

I barely passed H.S. Algebra. - Just goes to show how far maturity will take a person. :thumbs: