1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Abiding in Christ: The Real Meaning Confronts an Error of Calvinism John 15:1-8

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Alex Quackenbush, Dec 9, 2007.

1. psalms109:31

psalms109:31 Active Member

encourage each other

Faith my brother enduring to the end trusting in God our Father through Jesus Christ our Lord.

No matter what men may say or not say trust in the words of our Lord not the words of men.

We are one body.

Hebrews 3:

12See to it, brothers, that none of you has a sinful, unbelieving heart that turns away from the living God. 13But encourage one another daily, as long as it is called Today, so that none of you may be hardened by sin's deceitfulness. 14We have come to share in Christ if we hold firmly till the end the confidence we had at first.

#41 psalms109:31, Dec 12, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2007
  2. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hi Psalms,
    Scripture says,
    Psa 118:8 It is better to trust in the LORD than to put confidence in man.
    Psa 118:9 It is better to trust in the LORD than to put confidence in princes.
    MB

3. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Yes you agree, or yes is your answer to both? If we are dependant on God, it would be Him enduring, not us.

4. reformedbeliever

reformedbeliever New Member

It is yes to both web. I believe in the sovereignty of God with the responsibility of man. That is what the Bible teaches. It is an antinomy. We do have to die to self and to trust God, but that is not without responsibility is it web? If we depend on God, and it is His will that we persevere, we will have His preseverence.

5. psalms109:31

Preserve

Do not let men make you think that you will preserve to the end and find out in the end that Jesus never knew you.

Continue trusting in Jesus for your salvation and it is your faith that you preserve with that God has given to you through His word.

Calvinism doesn't change you or the Law, or universalism, nor arminism or any religion is going to change you.

This is what changes us.

Hebrews 7:18The former regulation is set aside because it was weak and useless 19(for the law made nothing perfect), and a better hope is introduced, by which we draw near to God.

When you have a relationship with God you do not obey God's word because you have to do it for salvation, but because you love Him.

What ever we do for God it is worthless without love.

1 Corinthians 13
    Love
    1If I speak in the tongues[Or languages] of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. 2If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. 3If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames,[Some early manuscripts body that I may boast] but have not love, I gain nothing.

I don't care about a preseverence of a religion, but salvation of souls. When you care more about your religion more than God and then people then you have lost your focus.

What are the greatest commandments?

6. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hi Psalms,
    Amen to that,
    Those who feel that because of grace we can sin all we want to aren't really seeing any need to keep the Law. There is only one after Salvation and that is our Love for God. What better way is there to show our Love for Him that to do what He says to.
    MB

7. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

So what does this mean if we don't obey (because we don't always obey)?

8. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

WD,

I think what is meant, is...why do you do what you do?

The driving force should be because you love God.

9. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not obeying God is rebellion isn't it? It only makes sense to me that if we truly have surrendered to God then surrendering is doing His will and not our own. We all fall short of this ofcourse. The consequence of sin has already been paid for but that doesn't prove that our rebellion has no effect on who we profess to Love. When we sin we are spitting in God's face with rebellion.
    Jonah was God's prophet and when he sinned God corrected Him. He didn't send him to hell but God did correct him. I believe God corrects His children He doesn't throw them away.
    The Law is God's will the law is God's will for righteousness isn't this what surrender is all about. Isn't submitting to God righteousnes the problems the Jews had in,
    Rom 10:3 For they being ignorant of God's righteousness, and going about to establish their own righteousness, have not submitted themselves unto the righteousness of God.
    Christ had that kind of righteousness through out His life He was with out sin.
    MB

10. psalms109:31

Yoke

I cannot put myself under the yoke of the Law which leads to death, but I can love God and others as myself, since Jesus showed us how.

11. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree amen
    MB