1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

abiogenesis or special creation?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Helen, Feb 16, 2007.

1. Faith alone

Faith alone New Member

FOA, Bob, remember that I personally fo not hold to such views. But I do not like how many Christians put down those who do as if they are being unChristian and disrespecting the Bible.

My point is simply that suddenly we are told that Cain - Adam & Eve's first son - is looking for a wife. Without any listing of the lineage of his wife, which the Bible is so careful to do in other places, it is not surprising that people come up with other possibilities.

You said it yourself - a "strictly literal." Why not even consider the possibility that God did not intend Genesis to beread in such a manner? How about those who take that position?

Perhaps that is true. But that is your opinion on it. I have never heard a TEist say that or anything even remotely like it.

Exodus 20:11 [FONT=Arial, Geneva, Helvetica]For the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and everything in them in six days; then He rested on the seventh day. Therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and declared it holy.

This is the first thing anyone has shared recently based specifically on scripture. I agree that this is atrong argument for taking a 6 24-hr. literal view of Genesis 1. But that still does not require that the universe be only 1000s of years old. Such a view assumes that when God "created" the stars, etc. that they were brought into existence at that time, instead of becoming visible to the earth's surface then. And even Hugh Ross has a view that God took 6 days in which at certain times God created. He has gaps between those creative acts.
    [/FONT]
    Perhaps. but you are assuming a strictly literal reading. Let's face it, those who hold to a Day-Age viewpoint or a TE view do not do so. And that is NOT because they have a lesser view of scripture, but because they believe God did not intend the text to be read literally historically or scientifically in some places. So they believe they are reading it as intended, and that we are forcing our theology upon the text.

Bob,

TE or Day-agers believe that God spoke truth - which aligns with the truth that science discovers as well. It may take many trial-and-errors before science does get it right, but we should not assume that scientists are intentionally trying to distort the truth. I do not believe that for a second. If both are seeking truth, TE and Day-agers are expecting some correspondence. It is NOT a matter of compromising the Word at all or of forcing it to fit, but of considering different possibilities for what God had intended.

I mean, let's face it. Down through history people have been trying to determine the best way to interpret prophesy in terms of Christ's return. They keep changing things as we get closer to the end times. Why should we be surprised if similar things happen in origins? Personally, I'm just keeping an open mind to other possibilities. I'm a pan-tribulationist... why not the same considering origins?

But again, since a day with the Lord is as a 1000 years..., why assume a literal intended meaning there?

Bob,

Again, I am not a TEist. But do they not also agree (some) that Adam was the 1st human being?

Romans 5:12-14

Therefore, just as sin entered the world through one man, and death through sin, in this way death spread to all men, because all sinned. In fact, sin was in the world before the law, but sin is not charged to one's account when there is no law. Nevertheless, death reigned from Adam to Moses, even over those who did not sin in the likeness of Adam's transgression. He is a prototype of the Coming One.

Thru 1 man - death entered the world. TEists agree with that statement.

My points are simply that TEists or Day-agers are not taking such a far-fetched position as often claimed.

FA

2. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    My point is that using the basic principles of exegesis is far more useful than you are allowing and the consequences of ignoring it far more damaging.

The Jews of Mark 7 had many good yarns to spin about why they were right to "sit in the seat of Moses" and bend a rule here and there - without having to call it "bending the rules". There has never been a shortage of stories to tell about why one should turn the text one way or the other.

But the whole point of the methods regarding exegesis is to step out of the "I think it should be turned the other way around" game ad nausium - is to provide a mechanism where ALL sides can step out of their entrenched bias and evaluate the text using objective methods.

In the example you have given above - it is very easy to see from the links of the texts pointing back to this one - that there is only one way to connect all the dots. It is also easy to point out that Adam had daughters but we are not given their names. Does that mean they had no names? Hardly.

Also it is easy for the reader to admit when the Bible states that Adam is the head of the human race in Gen 1, 2 and Romans 5 - that it takes a great deal of story telling to come up with other Adam's who are sinless and also the head of other races and who also get kicked out of the Garden or come under literal condemnation of God for sinning - ALL of them deceived by their wives??

In any case - once the yarn starts spining you soon come to the point of needing another bible and an entirely different Gospel to support it.

Sticking with what is IN the text and not adding new details that are major shifts away from the meaning of the text - turns out to be the only way the text holds together.

In Christ,

Bob

3. Faith alone

Faith alone New Member

Bob,

Sorry, but I've run out of time tonight. Let me simply say that i agree... when the text is intended as such. But if it was intended differently, for example ,as in a parable, then we have to apply different exegetical principles. And do not assume that they are reading into the text (eisogesis).

FA

4. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BobRyan
    A strictly literal approach does not yield two chronological sequences -- it only shows one because the "details" are very important. One is a chronology the other narrative is not but it ADDs more detail on some points than you had in the chronology given.

The combination of the two gives a far more complete picture than either one by itself.

Exegesis demans that we admit to what the obvious meaning is to the first order primary audience of the Author. Everyone agrees that Moses' readers knew what "evening and morning - ONE day" would mean.

Even the TE group (as you pointed out) concede that the primary audience could not possibly read Gen 1-3 and come up with TE. It just is not in the text.

Everyone agrees that the first order primary audience is going to get a YEC story out of the text -- no question about it. And that is the first rule of being objective in this case. "Regardless of what you would prefer - what would the primary intended audience have understood" - is the question we must always ask ourselves coming to any text. Because it has to be admitted that the writer was writing to them and knew what meaning his words would convey.

This point alone stops the TE bus dead in it's tracks before we even get to the next points in the argument FOR exegesis.

The way a TE argument survives in this case is by relying on the fact that THEIR primary reader - THEIR primary audience will not pay close attention to the text because they come to the text "with a problem" to start with. Their problem is that they hold to TE and they need a way to get around the apparent problem that TE has when confronted with the text.

Everyone agrees that coming to the Gen 1-6 scenario WITHOUt an evolutionist bias of some sort - always yields YEC.

An interesting story along this line. Orthodox Jews happen to teach evolutionism - but did not always do that through the ages. So when I found an avenue for asking the Orthodox Rabbis questions I immediately asked if there was ANYTHING IN the text itself (from a Hebrew Language POV) that would allow us to go to the 4th commandment and insert the idea that "For in SIX DAYS GOD MADE" is refering to DAY with the meaning of "eons of unknown time" while "SIX days YOU shall labor" should mean six evenings and mornings. The answer I got was that the text does not argue for any such thing. The text itself is clearly a six-day hard-lock between Creation and the week at Mt Sinai.

But they believe (in this case) that tradition trumps scripture. So they "find a solution" without having to rewrite LAW as though it is "allegory".

In Christ,

Bob

5. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    #1. LAW is never written in Parables and In Ex 20 the Sabbath commandment refers to the DETAILS of the Gen 1-3 account.

#2. The DETAILS of a parable are the very things that are NOT true about it -- the NT authors and OT authors continually refer back to the DETAILS of Gen 1-6.

#3. EVEN the TE groups admit that the primary audience -- historically would have gotten a YEC meaning. That means that Moses writing the text constructed it so HIS primary audience would get a YEC meaning.

Impossible to ignore this.

6. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The problem of saying "IN ADAM all sin" is that this is not true if ALL are not the children of Adam.

1. Romans 5:14
      Nevertheless death reigned from Adam until Moses, even over those who had not sinned in the likeness of the offense of Adam, who is a type of Him who was to come.
    2. 1 Corinthians 15:22
      For as in Adam all die, so also in Christ all will be made alive.
    3. 1 Corinthians 15:45
      So also it is written, "The first MAN, Adam, BECAME A LIVING SOUL " The last Adam became a life-giving spirit.
    4. 1 Timothy 2:13
      For it was Adam who was first created, and then Eve.
    5. 1 Timothy 2:14
      And it was not Adam who was deceived, but the woman being deceived, fell into transgression.

7. Faith alone

Faith alone New Member

Bob,

John MacArthur suggests using the following approach is best for Genesis 1:
    He goes one to say
    Now clearly this is not a "strictly literal" viewpoint. Burt it does follow the Hebrew language carefully.

FA

8. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    On the 4th day the text says that God created TWO great lights. Saying that He actually created them on the first or second day does not seem to fit the text.

McArthur is using 7 24 hour periods of time and not only getting the earth and it's sky (and sun and moon) created but also all of the universe.

I don't think Gen 1 is saying the whole universe was created in that 7 day period of time.

In Christ,

Bob

9. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Post 14 "Does Prayer Work" - We find A consistent logical view of God and His Word consistent with Atheist Darwinist Doctrines believed and accepted. Something we would EXPECT from those who consistently and logically follow the Atheist teachings holding them up as icons, idols, models for their world views on factual origins. As Dawkins states you would have to be braindead not to notice the glaring gaps between the claims of atheist darwinism for origins vs what you read in the Bible.

Post 24 - the logical conclusion for the "former Christian" Darwin and for those Christians following Atheist Darwinist doctrines --

Post 38 of "Does prayer work" --

The intent here is to show how Atheist Darwinist doctrines have a logical conclusion themselves. My claim is that Satan is the author of Atheist Darwinism not that anyone on this board is or that Satan's ability to dupe the gullible individual into believing in Atheist Darwinism requires some lower intellect or anything like that. My claim is that Satan is very deceptive very intelligent and the fact that Christians would claim to hold to HIS stories over the fact of pure science and the pure Word of God is a telling statement on just how successful Satan can be given that both science and the Word of God disprove his stories daily.

in Christ,

Bob

#69 BobRyan, Feb 22, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 22, 2007
  10. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Lesson for the reader -

Rew_10 says he is 19 which works out great for what he is doing. He boldly goes into areas of the Bible and Christianity with the same logical consistent atheist darwinist doctrines that he approaches Genesis with -- He has not learned to craftily avoid areas that expose the raw underpinnings of atheism in the Darwinist doctrines - like UTEOTW has learned to do in his avoidance of religious topics.

Rather REW_10 honestly and firmly believes that truth is better than fiction and that we would all benefit from seeing the extent of the logical conclusions that are apparent from holding to ahteist darwinism as "Fact" over the Bible as "some level of fiction". His motives in holding to atheist darwinism are still pure - being so young. He willingly states in the affirmative what older believers in atheist darwinist know they must hide in the shadows.

In Christ,

Bob

11. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I kinda thought a few of the devotees to atheist darwinism would come out of the shadows on that last post.

12. Faith alone

Faith alone New Member

Bob,

The NET has a footnote about placing those lights in the sky:
    38tn tn Heb “and the stars.” Now the term “stars” is added as a third object of the verb “made.” Perhaps the language is phenomenological, meaning that the stars appeared in the sky from this time forward.

They say here that declaring that He placed those lights in the sky may mean simply that they were visible in the sky... not necessarily that they were created out in space somewhere. That is a very natural reading of the text. The first time I ever read Genesis that was what I thought it was saying, and I don't think I am alone in such thinking. And since the physical facts indicate that this universe has been around, and the sun, moon and galaxies, a very long time, to look for such a natural possibility for reading the text is not forcing the reading at all. So it should not be considered strange for someone to read it that way.

Now on day two God may have allowed the light to penetrate the thick, murky atmosphere. By rotating the earth he created night and day for the earth. (Venus apparently rotates at a very slow rate, and Mercury may be always facing the sun, and hance have no day-night separation.)

But I am interested in what you said above, which I emboldened. Can you clarify?

Now, just FYI, though I like many things that Hugh Ross teaches and appreciate him as an apologetist, I do not hold to his day-age type view of creation (called "progressive creation"). I hold to six 24-hr. days of creation of the earth. Now I think you mentioned Exodus earlier...

Exodus 20:11 "For in six days the Lord made the heavens (sky) and the earth, the sea and all that is in them…"

This does not speak of the universe, but of the earth. But the following text convinced me that Adam (and Eve) did not come around millions of years after the earth was created:

Mark 10:6
    But from the beginning of the creation God made them male and female.

This makes it clear that Jesus taught that the creation was young, for Adam and Eve existed "from the beginning." I'm just not so sure about the universe itself.

But there is another argument for why we should consider the Genesis recod to not be intended as a literal account. It's called the "framework" view. The idea is that there is a clear pattern ("framework") seen in the Genesis account and hence that the account may not have been intended as a strictly chronological record of creation. Instead, the creative events are seen as dewcxribed in a topical kind of format or order. Now I do think that there is a certain degree of chronology present. But I think we need to be open to other possibilities.

Realms created "Rulers" of realms created
    Day 1:
    Light; day and night Day 4: Sun, moon and stars
    Day 2:
    Sea and sky Day 5: Sea creatures; birds
    Day 3:
    Land and vegetation Day 6: Land creatures; man

Thx,

FA

#72 Faith alone, Feb 22, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 22, 2007
  13. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I don't think there is enough room for dancing in the entire world to get "made" to become "appeared but not actually made" in Gen 1-2:3. The word for Made is too precise to be spun any other way.

But on Day 4 "He Made TWO great lights" -- not "a zillion and two". That is the part that leads me to believe that the reference to the fact that He also MADE the stars is a parenthetical note about the fact that God had already at one time MADE the stars. In any case - the jury is still out on how "TWO" could become "a zillion and TWO" in Day 4 without having that be a parenthetical reference to a past action of God.

Day 1 - we have a single sided light source but we don't know what it is. We do know that you have rotation of the planet and a single sided light source because "evening and morning were the first day".

Day 2 - we have dry land appear - no reference to "light is allowed to penetrate the atmosphere" - no sense in making that up. STILL we have that unnamed light source on one side of earth only - rotation of the planet - and "evening and morning" being the 2nd day.

Day 3 - we have the plants - all vegetation occurs. STILL we have that unnamed light source on one side of earth only - rotation of the planet - and "evening and morning" being the 2nd day.

Day 4 - God makes TWO great lights. Exactly Two. The newly made Sun then becomes the NAMED light source on one side of earth.

Me too.

Yes I did

Agreed. Creation Week's context is the Earth and it's solar system only.

True - However since Adam was created on Day 6 and God said He created all the earth and "everything IN IT" in that literal 7 day week -- it is hard to "put Adam some place else" in that literal week that is equated exactly with the literal week at Sinai by God Himself.

I agree - don't think we have a good case for a Universe that is only as old as the living systems created on Planet Earth.

The problem is that the "pattern" IS that it is a Chronology "And evening and morning where the Nth day" is a repeated pattern. Arguing that the pattern negates the chronology is like arguing "because God's Word keeps saying it is a chronological sequence we have proof that it is not" - and that is just too much of a stretch for me to swallow.

Furthermore with the Exodus 20:8-11 "hard wire" straight to the literal week of Sinai - there is no escaping this 7 day event. God summarizes Gen 1-2:3 and then shows that this is exactly the timeline sequence that Israel is to honor and follow.

Even the evolutionist Orthodox Rabbis agree that the language in the commandment does not allow for any other spin.

In Christ,

Bob

14. Faith alone

Faith alone New Member

I do not know the Hebrew. But the translators of the NET Bible are superb translators. Daniel Wallace is the editor of the NET Bible. Here's the text:god was here...

Genesis 1:14, 15Then God said, "Let there be lights in the expanse of the sky to separate the day from the night. They will serve as signs for festivals and for days and years. They will be lights in the expanse of the sky to provide light on the earth." And it was so.

In vs. 17 it says that, "[FONT=Arial, Geneva, Helvetica]God placed them in the expanse of the sky to provide light on the earth" Now it does not say that God "made" those lights anywhere, but that He placed them in the expanse (sky). It is reasonable to take this as causing the lights to appear. I'm talking about the stars/galaxies here, as you were below; so I think we're on the same page here. Or, perhaps I should say that the NET is on the same page.

[/FONT]
    Bob,

Interesting. I still see such a pattern in how Genesis 1 is written so as to preclude us from assuming that it is strictly literal. I do not mean by this that it is highly allegorical in nature, but simply that the chronology may be suspect - intentionally.

FA

15. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    It is one thing to read a chronological sequence as in Gen 1-2:3 where each unit is given as "evening and morning - day-N" but then we when see "SIX days you SHALL...work and rest the seventh day ... FOR IN SIX days the LORD MADE... and Rested the Seventh day".. it is entirely impossible to turn it any other way.

The only way it is ever done is by first bringing another bias into the text and secondly by ignoring the "summary of Gen 1-2:3" that God Gives in Exodus 20:8-11.

I don't think you bring another bias to the text - but I do think you are looking at it "alone" without that hard-wired link to God's own Summary of the Gen 1-2:3 chronological sequence. Given that link - it is innescapable.

In Christ,

Bob

16. Faith alone

Faith alone New Member

Bob,

I understood what you were saying there, and I agree that this supports 6 24-hr. days. But again the Lord could be stating the creation story in a manner as to keep it basic for us. If in doing so the actual creation took over 6 days, that would not keep a statement in Exodus of referring to the Sabbath as the 7th day based on the creation story from being valid.

The statement of what was done in Genesis 2 is in a different chronological order, and though there are explanations for that, it does open it up to a non-chronological format. The 4 gospels tell the same story from different perspectives. But the Spirit is trying to accomplish something in each of the gospels. They are all in different chronological order. It's not like one of them is "wrong." We don't need to have the same event happen more than once IOT preserve the accuracy of the 4 Gospels... Why could not the Spirit be doing something similar in Genesis 1?

Now, I am playing the devil's advocate here, since I hold to 6 24-hr. days. But I am trying to keep an open mind to other possibilities. Mark 10:6 is pretty strong evidence that those 6 days are 24-hr., normal days.

FA

#76 Faith alone, Feb 23, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2007
  17. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    [FONT=Arial, Geneva, Helvetica]

[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Arial, Geneva]1:16 God made the two great lights, the greater light to govern the day, and the lesser light to govern the night; He made the stars also.
    ldGh rw)Mh eyldGh tr)Mh yen$ [FONT=Trebuchet MS, Arial, Geneva](8799)-t) eyhl) &(Yw [/FONT]​

[/FONT]
    [/FONT]

The reference to stars seems to in parenthetical - but the number made on Day 4 seems to be listed explicitly -- 2.

If you click on the word "MADE" you get Strongs 6213

to do, fashion, accomplish, make
    1. (Qal)
      1. to do, work, make, produce 1a
    In Christ,

Bob

#77 BobRyan, Feb 23, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2007
  18. Faith alone

Faith alone New Member

Bob,

One problem... "made" is not there. It's just, "...the stars." That's why it is not in blue and listed above. (I put it in red to make it clear.) It simply says, "God made two great lights. The greater light to govern the day, and the lesser light to govern the night. ...the stars also."

Now, is this saying that he made the two great lights... and the stars also? Or does it mean that he made the greater light to govern the day and the lsser light to govern the night, the stars (to govern the night) also?

FA

19. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    God's Word is our "source" text for what God did. You and I both agree that the text "says" God did it in seven actual days - places that in LAW and insists that the people DO likewise -- literally.

Your suggestion is that "maybe God said one thing - but DID another" even though His own Law highlights the "fact" of the literal 24 day sequence as the main "detail" to be "observed". You are saying "What if this is the VERY detail that is most untrue" about the Genesis account of Gen 1-2:3.

I think that line of reasoning argues "in spite of the text" that explicitly and deliberately links the literal 24 day "detail" of Gen 1-2:3 so hard that it wires it into LAW.

Given that there is no chronological sequence in Gen 2 and given that the Gen 1-2:3 sequence has it's "7 literal day" detail highlighted, repeated, and turned into LAW -- I see no way to dodge it.

Though I appreciate your objective approach to seeing just how much wiggle room there really is in the text.

In Christ,

Bob

20. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    It could be that he means that the stars also shine at night but since this is the description of God "making" things over a 7 day period of time - it seems reasonable to conclude that the text is arguing for God as creator of the stars. In John 1 we are told that "nothing has come into existence" apart from Christ making it.

However the fact that the number of things "made" on Day 4 is "two" and not "A zillion and two" leads me to conclude that the making of the stars had happened at some other time.

in Christ,

Bob