1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

abiogenesis or special creation?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Helen, Feb 16, 2007.

1. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The point of this thread however is to point out the "extremes" of atheist darwinist "Abiogenesis" imaginings vs the actual dictates of God's Word --

The result was shown to us by Rew_10

2. Faith alone

Faith alone New Member

Bob,

This is the account of God creating an environment for man - who was created in God's image. It introduces the plan for salvation. I think either option could be argued effectively. But just because it may mean that Christ "placed them in the visisble sky" - having been created much earlier - does not mean that this would at all be a contradiction of John 1 ("...nothing had come into existence apart from the Word") since God would have brought it into existence earlier.

So I agree that it is more likely that the galaxies and stars were created before the 6 days of creation. The Bible Knowledge Commentary allows for that possibility:
    A couple of relevant CRefs:

Psalm 136:5-9
    who by his understanding made the heavens, His love endures forever. who spread out the earth upon the waters, His love endures forever. who made the great lights-- His love endures forever. the sun to govern the day, His love endures forever. the moon and the stars to govern the night; His love endures forever.

So both the moon and the stars were to govern the night.

Psalm 8:3, 4 When I observe Your heavens, the work of Your fingers, the moon and the stars, which You set in place, what is man that You remember him, the son of man that You look after him?

Here the focus seems to be setting the moon and the stars in place in the sky.

Interesting.

FA

3. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I agree - God MAde THE STARS - but that probably took place before Gen 1:2.

However - on Day 4 "HE MADE TWO great lights".

In Christ,

Bob

4. Faith alone

Faith alone New Member

Sounds reasonable. I'm not so sure that the "made" needs to disallow the possibility that the sun and moon were also created previously, or that the earth was not re-created. Perhaos thatwas true of all 3.

FA

5. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    God "MADE" TWO not a zillion and two. But IF a zillion and two ALREADY existed (as in stars already there AND Sun and MOON already there) then "MADE TWO" does not make much sense. Furthermore historically it is well accepted that this text was used to describe the making of the Sun and the moon.

Exegesis demans that we admit to the primary and clear meaning the words of Moses had for his intended readers. He intended to convey the meaning that God MADE the sun and the moon on day 4 (at the very least).

So what you are really left with is the argument that God intended to mislead if in fact it is NOT true that He MADE the TWO lights the sun and the moon on day 4.

In Christ,

Bob