1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Abortion Inactivity

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by ReformedBaptist, Sep 16, 2008.

1. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

BB,

I am putting a call out there to folks who are involved in any effort to affect change in our country toward the abolition of abortion. I have tried to get involved in the past and my options were limited to working with Roman Catholics. Does anyone know a way I can get involved in working against abortion without having to be yoked with Roman Catholics?

Any evangelical/protestant organization would fine. If the bare minimum I can do is to support them financially, I will do it.

Thanks for your help.

RB

2. SBCPreacher

SBCPreacher Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Try your local Crisis Pregnancy Center - they're a great organization (at least our local one is!).

3. ReformedBaptist

Are these groups just involved in helping women, or are they also a polical lobby group?

4. SBCPreacher

SBCPreacher Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Our local group is just involved in helping women. Let me do some checking on a national group.

5. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    In our area, we have the Chain Of Life once a year. People from all different denominations participate. You line up and stand quietly by the roadside holding signs like "Jesus heals and forgives" "abortion stops a beating heart" etc. Our church had one section of the road, another church the block beyond that, etc. so that people stand on the roadside for miles. It lasts for a few hours. It's a peaceful way to protest and involves whole families, even kids.

6. dan e.

dan e. New Member

be careful, though.....there might be a catholic working there.

7. dan e.

dan e. New Member

Just teasing a little bit...seriously though, if you are seeking to end abortion, more specifically it's legalized state, wouldn't you be willing to work with anyone who has the same vision, be it catholic, protestant, nonreligious?

8. ReformedBaptist

No. But I am not going to debate that here.

9. dan e.

dan e. New Member

Then I would question your ability and desire to actually be at a place where you see the vision as reality, and wonder if you're really just interested in seeing it your way.

10. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm sure the unborn babies appreciate any help they can get, whether from Baptists, Catholics, Carismatics, Republicans, Democrats, etc.

11. ReformedBaptist

If you guys want to debate social yoking with pagans, start a new thread about. Otherwise, stop derailing my thread.

12. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ok, but you did post this in the debate form.:saint:

13. ReformedBaptist

Then let the mods move it wherever they deem fit to put it. Debating whether or not I will or should co-labor with Roman Catholics is not hte point of the thread. Its off-topic.

14. dan e.

dan e. New Member

So not only do you want to end abortion your way....but you don't want to talk about why it has to be your way??

15. dan e.

dan e. New Member

This may interest you...

www.bound4life.com

It is based out of Atlanta, but I'm not seeing any denominational affiliation, although I'm sure they wouldn't mind if a catholic wanted to donate through their organization.

#15 dan e., Sep 16, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 16, 2008
  16. ReformedBaptist

Don't twist words. I want this thread to stay on its topic, which your other post is. Thanks. If you want to debate me on why I won't co-labor with the enemies of the Gospel, then start a thread on it.

RB

17. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your local crisis pregnancy center is a good source of info if nothing else. You could also set up fundraisers or work to start a non-ecumenical or non-pagan pregnancy center. Some times people will do the work they just need a little leadership to get going.

Make yourself aware of your representatives positions on abortion and hound them about it. Both phone calls and hand written letters are effective.

Recruit others to hound your representatives about it.

Search the internet for pro-life sites and contact them to inquire as to how you can get involved aside from financially.

#17 Revmitchell, Sep 16, 2008
  18. ReformedBaptist

this is helpful. I found a pregnancy center locally that is evangelical/protestant. Thanks.

19. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

RB, aside from pregnancy centers, the pro-life movement is rife with division and disagreement. I know because I worked in a national pro-life organization for 2 yrs. Certain pro-life groups will have nothing to do with other groups because they do not all agree on which objectives to have and how to go about achieving whatever goals they might agree on (which is not much).

For example, some groups want to focus on parental notification. Others believe this is selling out. Some want to overturn Roe v. Wade; others think this is unrealisitic. Some think there should be no contraception; others think some contraception is okay but other methods are not, since they are abortifacients (sp?). And so forth. You would not believe the extreme polarization in pro-life groups. It totally burned me out on the the prolife movement, I can tell you that.

#19 Marcia, Sep 16, 2008
  20. dan e.

dan e. New Member

Interesting post. Never thought about that. Did you find many religious divisions among those working to end abortions?