1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured About to hit the fan in the SBC

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Greektim, May 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    everything in the statement contradicts the truth, they denied romans 5
    re read that statement and be honest

2. HAMel

HAMel Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It does appear to me the SBC (itself) is often considered to be held in higher esteem than our Lord, to begin with.

What is the SBC? We attended a SBC Church many years ago and the obvious position of that local church was to adhere specifically to the mandates of the SBC. As if the local church could not think for themselves! Our preacher almost always offered messages that were compatible to and in conjunction with the Sunday School literature for that Sunday morning..., which came from the Home Office, if you will.

Do many really look toward the SBC for all things? Has the SBC become the Head Quarters much as the Vatican has? Has the SBC been elevated to that of cult status?

I know of a lady right now who was raised in a SB church all her life. She supports abortion rights; homosexual and lesbian marriage; legalizing drugs; and she will fight to her last breath in defense of these positions. Course, she is but one out of many but somewhere along the lines she missed the boat.

What is the SBC?

3. Greektim

Greektim Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    To be clear... this is not a mandate that came down from the SBC per se. But many non-Calvinistic pastors and professors (even saw a student on the list?) signed the statement. It is not an official position for the denomination. It is an official position for certain folks within the denomination.

4. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

Winman

You are demonstrating your ignorance of Southern Baptists.

Winman,

Once again you are demonstrating your ignorance of the Doctrine of Grace.

5. OldRegular

That is NOT an SBC statement.

6. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

The highlighted reminds me of something Jesus said in Luke 13:23,24.

7. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

Iconolast...

I just read the entirety of Romans 5. There is nothing...NOTHING...in Romans 5 that is not supported beautifully by the doctrinal statement in question.

You are so confused, Icon. Amazingly confused.

8. SolaSaint

SolaSaint Well-Known Member

Great Post Icon

9. SolaSaint

SolaSaint Well-Known Member

Maybe so but I have a problem with the language used in the preamble where they are claiming new Calvinists are pushing an agenda upon the SBC.

10. glazer1972

glazer1972 Member

He should be talking about how the Calvinists are trying to get the SBC back to the roots of the Baptist Faith.

He should read the the LBC of 1689 sometime.

11. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

I'm still not sure what New Calvinists are. Are they young Calvinists, or those who have recently discovered the DoG? Do they believe differently from us old Calvinists?

I'm not quite sure who these NCs are targeted by the statement under discussion.

12. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
  13. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  14. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

I'm assuming that those who signed the statement in question also embrace the Baptist Faith and Message, which is the general doctrinal statement of Southern Baptists.

If my assumption is right, then it appears they are attacking what they embrace.

Here is what section IV-a says:
    And here is the first paragraph of Section V on Election:
    I can comfortably embrace these statements, and I'm a Calvinist. They're not, so can they?

15. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you, kyredneck. You're right that it's a throwback to hyper and hardshell innovations that regular Baptists repudiated long ago.

Bob Ross explains:

http://writingsofbobross.tripod.com/0004.htm

16. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Apparently, the BF&M is just a little too “general” as it allows hyper-determinists to pull their doctrines out from within it.

That’s because it is your assumption that it allows for the Doctrine of Determinisic Grace and embraces it.

It has come to a point in time (because of overzealous “New Calvinist” agendas who have it to subscribe to Calvinist soteriology) that some clarifications are needed to filter out some of the deterministic presumptions that could be drawn out of the BF&M that were originally intended to cover a plurality of views pertaining to soteriology.

Case in point:
    "Here is what section IV-a says:"

"And here is the first paragraph of Section V on Election:"

From the first paragraph I, a non-Calvinist see the new birth as a result of response to the influence of the Holy Spirit and the change to “freely” come from my heart and would agree that faith is inseparable from the experiences of grace.

But the Calvinist reads it as God’s work forcibly “causes” some of the specially pre-selected few to have faith and that their idea of the means of faith is inseparable from their idealogy of His grace.

In the second paragraph, a non-Calvinist perceives election as a gracious purpose of God which is genuinely offered to all men which is consistent with the “free agency of man” meaning they have the true ability to respond in faith whereby God regenerates them. This glorious display of God’s sovereign “goodness” is unchangeable.

But the Calvinist reads it as those who have been specially pre-selected are elected and this is according to God’s predestinating purpose to which He “then” regenerates them and this procedure is consistent with the free agency because "God is Sovereign”…Booyah! This deterministic doctrine that declares this form of election is consistent with free agency is unchangeable and BTW belief in it excludes boosting and promotes humility!

I think the Articles of Affirmation and Denial do a mighty fine job of clarifying just how far the BF&M should be allowed to be interpreted toward being falsely perceived to promote that the general assembly believes these to have deterministic values which deny free will and thereby the ability for any man to “truly” respond to God’s calling of Grace.

Article Five: The Regeneration of the Sinner

We affirm that any person who responds to the Gospel with repentance and faith is born again through the power of the Holy Spirit. He is a new creation in Christ and enters, at the moment he believes, into eternal life.

We deny that any person is regenerated prior to or apart from hearing and responding to the Gospel.

Luke 15:24; John 3:3; 7:37-39; 10:10; 16:7-14; Acts 2:37-39; Romans 6:4-11; 10:14; 1 Corinthians 15:22; 2 Corinthians 5:17; Galatians 2:20; 6:15; Colossians 2:13; 1 Peter 3:18

Article Six: The Election to Salvation

We affirm that, in reference to salvation, election speaks of God’s eternal, gracious, and certain plan in Christ to have a people who are His by repentance and faith.

We deny that election means that, from eternity, God predestined certain people for salvation and others for condemnation.

Genesis 1:26-28; 12:1-3; Exodus 19:6; Jeremiah 31:31-33; Matthew 24:31; 25:34; John 6:70; 15:16; Romans 8:29-30, 33;9:6-8; 11:7; 1 Corinthians 1:1-2; Ephesians 1:4-6; 2:11-22; 3:1-11; 4:4-13; 1 Timothy 2:3-4; 1 Peter 1:1-2; 1 Peter 2:9; 2 Peter 3:9; Revelation 7:9-10

Article Seven: The Sovereignty of God

We affirm God’s eternal knowledge of and sovereignty over every person’s salvation or condemnation.

We deny that God’s sovereignty and knowledge require Him to cause a person’s acceptance or rejection of faith in Christ.

Genesis 1:1; 6:5-8; 18:16-33; 22; 2 Samuel 24:13-14; 1 Chronicles 29:10-20; 2 Chronicles 7:14; Joel 2:32; Psalm 23; 51:4; 139:1-6; Proverbs 15:3; John 6:44; Romans 11:3; Titus 3:3-7; James 1:13-15; Hebrews 11:6, 12:28; 1 Peter 1:17

Article Eight: The Free Will of Man

We affirm that God, as an expression of His sovereignty, endows each person with actual free will (the ability to choose between two options), which must be exercised in accepting or rejecting God’s gracious call to salvation by the Holy Spirit through the Gospel.

We deny that the decision of faith is an act of God rather than a response of the person. We deny that there is an “effectual call” for certain people that is different from a “general call” to any person who hears and understands the Gospel.

Genesis 1:26-28; Numbers 21:8-9; Deuteronomy 30:19; Joshua 24:15; 1 Samuel 8:1-22; 2 Samuel 24:13-14; Esther 3:12-14; Matthew 7:13-14; 11:20-24; Mark 10:17-22; Luke 9:23-24; 13:34; 15:17-20; Romans 10:9-10; Titus 2:12; Revelation 22:17

Thanks and blessings to the Godly men with the fortitude to stand up against the agendas of those (“New Calvinist”) who would “modify its teachings in order to mitigate certain unacceptable conclusions (e.g., anti-missionism, hyper-Calvinism, double predestination, limited atonement, etc.)." May God strengthen and comfort them as they endeavor in this righteous pursuit to maintain that God’s offer of salvation “truly” extends to all men. Amen.

No, not any longer as they are written for they are being abused and need clarification on these issues in these new times. That's the point!

#96 Benjamin, Jun 1, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2012
  17. Winman

Winman Active Member

And what you are slow to understand (very slow) is that folks DO understand Calvinism and are rejecting it.

You fellas think it is still 1550 and you are in Geneva.

Regardless of what the SBC believed in the past, now the majority do not hold to a Calvinistic interpretation of the scriptures.

This has nothing to do with me, my church does not belong to the SBC, but from what I have read, I agree with this new "creed" if that is what you want to call it. I believe it is very scriptural.

It really doesn't matter what you or I believe, the SBC has made a stand here.

One thing I will say though, these guys are pretending to be nice. That is not true, they are giving you the boot.

#97 Winman, Jun 1, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2012
  18. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This need that SBC leaders have to have an enemy is as striking now as it was 20-30 years ago. Now everyone is trying to claim the title of most traditional. See what happens when you try to out conservative everyone?!!?

19. glazer1972

glazer1972 Member

Some of us find fault in that.

20. OldRegular

Winman
    You have no idea what the majority of Southern Baptists believe!

These people do not speak for the Southern Baptist Convention. That is why I say you are ignorant about the Southern Baptist Convention.

As to your understanding of the Doctrine of Grace you ignorantly believe that God drags his elect kicking and screaming to Salvation. The work of God the Holy Spirit is to apply the Cross Work of Jesus Christ to the elect. Scripture tells us:

Ezekiel 36:26, KJV
    26 A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh.

Hebrews 8:10, KJV
    10 For this [is] the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, saith the Lord; I will put my laws into their mind, and write them in their hearts: and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to me a people:

John 6:63, KJV
    63 It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, [they] are spirit, and [they] are life.

John 5:21, KJV
    21 For as the Father raiseth up the dead, and quickeneth [them]; even so the Son quickeneth whom he will.

Note, Winman, that the recipient of this Grace, this life, is passive!

Once the Holy Spirit "New Births", regenerates, makes spiritually alive the elect person they exercise their God given faith and respond to the Gospel in Conversion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.