1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Above the Law...

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Baptist in Richmond, Jul 20, 2007.

1. Baptist in Richmond

Baptist in Richmond Active Member

Ah, the as-expected juvenile contumely I have grown to expect from you.

I know: it's tough when everything you allege comes crashing down by the evidence contained in your own post.

Simple - just look at the behavior of Harriet Miers. She received a Congressional subpoena. She has no basis for simply ignoring it. She could have shown up and exercised her fifth-amendment rights; however, she opted to simply avoid making an appearance.

Nice try, carpro. I suppose that when faced with your own postings refuting what you allege, it does sting a little.

:tonofbricks:

2. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hardly.

That point was defeated immediately by the Supreme Court ruling from 1959.

The democrats can't win. All they can do is make noise.

3. Baptist in Richmond

They can ignore a Congressional subpoena?

Yep, heard that on several of the radio programs on XM channel 166 today........

Found this article interesting:
    http://writ.news.findlaw.com/dean/20070713.html

#23 Baptist in Richmond, Jul 26, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2007
  4. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yep.

One Congress had no legal grounds to issue.

Now Congress will issue a contempt citation and nothing will come of it. Paper tiger. Smoke and mirrors. Playing politics.

Perish the thought that they would actually try to legislate:BangHead: instead of issue subpoenas to investigate firings of political appointees fired by the people that appointed them.

I'm sure you found Ex con John Dean's article interesting. You agree with the ramblings of his opinion column.

Find us some legal justification for your position that this was against the law and not just your opinion that they think they are "above the law". So far, you have provided none at all.

#24 carpro, Jul 27, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2007
  5. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Kinda like liberals in general, eh!!??

I must admit that I've rarely seen/heard/read any poster that can use so many words to say nothing! (But he says it real nice!)

Edited to correct above "nothing"

Should read --"use so many words to say so little!"

#25 just-want-peace, Jul 27, 2007
  6. Baptist in Richmond

A point worth noting is that nothing you have offered gives any credence to such an assertion.
    Harriet Miers has no legal justification to simply ignore a Congressional subpoena.

Yes, like the Congress that went after Clinton for Whitewater, right? Care to give us the justification for that witchhunt?

:laugh: <---- This is me laughing at you.
    The "proof" you offered was the legal opinion of Janet Reno.
    The comment you made about John Dean shows us that you didn't read his article.

That is up to Congress, and they will if there was anything that "was against the law." I am sure that, as a well-document acolyte, you believe in the concept of the "unitary executive."

#26 Baptist in Richmond, Jul 27, 2007
  7. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Congress is conducting an investigation beyond the scope of their Constitutional authority. They know it, and they know they are bound to be defeated. It's all for show. Political theater.

8. Baptist in Richmond

Who confirms these appointments, carpro?
    Who confirmed the appointments who succeeded the ones who were fired?

9. Baptist in Richmond

Still waiting for an answer.....

10. 2 Timothy2:1-4

2 Timothy2:1-4 New Member

No one here has produced evidences showing from a statute or the Constitution that they are compelled to answer these subpoenas.

"the White House has remained staunch in its stance that it has the right at any time to fire attorneys. Furthermore, it has rebuffed attempts to bring any more White House officials before public hearings using the claim to executive privilege."

#30 2 Timothy2:1-4, Aug 1, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2007
  11. Baptist in Richmond

Are you sure about that?

Where in the Constitution is there an allowance to simply disregard a Congressional subpoena? While they may show up and plead the Fifth, there is no support for the action of simply disregarding a subpoena.

12. hillclimber1

hillclimber1 Active Member
    Site Supporter

And that is their only intent. To cast yet more doubt, and suspicion on the WH. The Dems are despicable, thank you slick willy.

13. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

And the wiggety wack right continues to blame President Clinton for the world's problems, even though he has not been in public office in nearly 7 years. When does the current administration start being responsible? And what about all the "noise" made by the GOP during the last Democratic administration?

#33 Magnetic Poles, Aug 2, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2007
  14. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

Why would you show up to honor an illegitimate subpoena? Simply by showing up, you are giving credence to the legitimacy of it.

I tend to agree that she should have showed up and refused to speak. Tell them, "That's none of your business. If you want to know what goes on in the WH, win an election."

But I still wonder why one should show up in honor of a subpoena that should have never been issued.

15. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

Larry, our government is not (or is not supposed to be) a covert, secretive club making decisions in the dark with no accountability. The White House is accountable to "We the People", and "We the People" are represented by our congressional delegation. Congress DID win an election, and they have a duty to perform the checks and balances required for open, honest government. All 3 branches have a role to play in that.

Despite the opinion of those who look to a single leader, this is not a dictatorship, nor even a country ruled by mandate of the President. He is not stronger than Congress or the SCOTUS...all are co-equal branches, by design.

16. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

I don't think anyone disagrees. I certainly don't.

But do those checks and balances come into play here? The congress is operating unchecked, and when the WH checks them by refusing to comply with an illegitimate subpoena, they cry foul.

What would the Congress think if Bush starting calling in Congressional aides to ask about discussions that were going on in congressional offices? I bet they wouldn't be too happy.

So under what rationale do they think it is okay to do this? Simple: It's politics.

I don't know of any who look to a single leader. But the point is, if they are equal, the Congress cannot pull rank over the WH in this way. Congress has no more right to call WH aides to testify about internal communications than they have to call SCOTUS clerks to testify about what goes on in deliberations. Separations of powers still exists.

Remember, there are no allegations or suspicions of actual wrongdoing. The US attorneys work at the pleasure of the president. He can get rid of them at any time he chooses.

The Dems complain that Bush politicized the attorney's office. They are doing the same thing by politicizing this.

Remember, Bush offered to make these witnesses available, and the Dems refused. Then they turn around an issue a subpoena.

17. 2 Timothy2:1-4

There is also separation of powers and congress cannot just infringe on the executive powers because of "suspicion". If this were the case then the agendas could be used to delay, convolute, or undermine the duties of the President.

18. Baptist in Richmond

Um, you answered my question with a question.
    Again, what is the basis for such a claim? Whether or not you want to acknowledge the legitimacy of the subpoena, it was indeed issued. One cannot simply ignore the subpoena. I am surprised that all the "law and order" types don't see this (last sentence not directed at you, Pastor Larry).

Hope all is well with you and your ministry,
    BiR

19. Baptist in Richmond

That didn't stop the Whitewater investigation, did it?

20. 2 Timothy2:1-4

'

Did the Watergate investigation begin because of evidence or suspicion?