1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Abraham

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by C.S. Murphy, Jan 12, 2003.

1. C.S. Murphy

C.S. Murphy New Member

Tonight I began a Bible study in which I hope to cover the complete Bible in 52 Sunday evening services. It went well and I had alot of interest. I made it all the way thru chapter 10, only the highlights ofcourse. next week I want to look at Abraham and I thought I would ask peoples opinions as to what they feel to be the most important events of his life.Ofcourse I will be looking for help on Jacob and Issac and Joseph as well.
    Murph

2. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    He offered his son Isaac when his boy was 12.

Why do we know Isaac wasn't a teenager?

If he'd tried to kill a teenager, it wouldn't have been a "sacrifice". :eek: :eek: :eek:

3. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Brother Murph--
    Concernin' Abraham--go to your library and study up on the name change--from Abram to Abraham--that little word --ham-- tacked on--its the tail that keeps the kite in the air----

Your Southern Baptist preacher buddy,
    Blackbird

4. TheOliveBranch

TheOliveBranch New Member

I don't know if you are looking for the opinion of non-pastors. But I think the most important was when God told him to go. And he went. Best place to start is right from the beginning and show the importance of obedience. He really believed. [​IMG]

5. russell55

russell55 New Member

I find the comments in the NT about Abraham a bit mysterious and quite fascinating.

"Abraham saw my day and was glad...."

When did Abraham see Christ's day? When the ram was provided as a substitute for Isaac?

"Abraham lived as an alien in the land of promise..for he was looking for a city whose architect and builder is God...Those who say such things make it clear that they are seeking a country of their own..they desire a better country, that is a heavenly one."

What does this mean? Did Abraham realize that the physical land was not the promise that counted the most, but there was something more, something better, something "heavenly" still to come?

6. Wisdom Seeker

Wisdom Seeker New Member

I think the name change was what impacted me the most. And what his new name meant. Father of a nation especially since his wife had been barren and was then past her child bearing years. I thought this showed the awesomeness of God.

Being asked to sacrifice that son who he had waited so long to have ...showed great faith and obedience when he had every intention of doing it, he was surrendered to God's will, and had hope that God would provide another sacrifice...which he did.

7. Pastor_Bob

Pastor_Bob Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Two very important aspects of Abraham's life IMO are these quotes about Abraham by someone else.

1. James 2:23 And the scripture was fulfilled which saith, Abraham believed God, and it was imputed unto him for righteousness: and he was called the Friend of God. (KJV)

Obviously, his relationship to God was his highest priority. He had faith, he believed God and obeyed God, he was the only man in the Word of God that is referred to as "the Friend of God."

2. Gen 18:17 And the LORD said, Shall I hide from Abraham that thing which I do;
    18 Seeing that Abraham shall surely become a great and mighty nation, and all the nations of the earth shall be blessed in him?
    19 For I know him, that he will command his children and his household after him, and they shall keep the way of the LORD, to do justice and judgment; that the LORD may bring upon Abraham that which he hath spoken of him. (KJV)

God had confidence in Abraham. God knew Abraham would do right and teach his children right. What tremendous trust God had in Abraham.

Abraham had such a relationship with God, I'm convinced that God would have spared the cities if Abraham would have asked Him to. As it was, Abraham talked him down from 50 to 10. I believe Abraham was so close to God he could have asked, "God, would you spare them for my sake?" and God would have spared them. Talk about the power of intercession! Are there any Abrahams on the BB? If so, can I add you to my prayer chain?

[ January 14, 2003, 02:25 PM: Message edited by: Pastor Bob 63 ]

8. C.S. Murphy

C.S. Murphy New Member

Thanks for the help everyone and yes Olive Branch I am interested in the opinions of non Pastors.
    Keep it coming.
    Murph

9. VICWAY

VICWAY Guest

Just a note.
    Abraham is important, but "in Isaac shall thy seed be called" Rom 9:7
    I to like to study in Genesis...
    This is my first reply, just testing the waters..

10. Ps104_33

Ps104_33 New Member

Murph,
    Here is a link to a post on the other religions forum that developed into a discussion on Abraham. It starts about halfway down the second page. Carson's beginning post is rather lengthy but it is worthwhile reading even though I disagree. I have developed alot of respect for Carson's intellect and knowledge and he definitly is a good apologist for his cause.

http://www.baptistboard.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=28;t=001258;p=1

11. C.S. Murphy

C.S. Murphy New Member

Glad to have you with us VICWAY, how does the water feel [​IMG]
    Murph

12. Bob Farnaby

Bob Farnaby Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Glad to have you with us VICWAY, how does the water feel [​IMG]
    Murph[/QB][/QUOTE]

Just remember, testing the waters here requires TOTAL immersion ... :D

Abraham, to me the big lesson is that following God is a lifetime event, some easy times, some hard times, some failings, always God's faithfulness.

Regards
    Bob