1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Absolute Predestination

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by rlvaughn, Feb 24, 2002.

1. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    rlvaugh:

By coincidence, I just received a copy of "The Banner of Love," A Primitive Baptist newspaper from Lubbock. There's an article by Elder Charles Holmes of Mena, Ark., taking absolute predestinarians to task. Just an excerpt:

"Many of our churches have suffered because we have had Primitive Baptists, so called, teaching absolute predestination of all things (events).

The no hell doctrine, the hollow log (no resurrection) doctrine, two seed doctrine, future reight of Chirst for a thousand years and many other departures from the faith have hurt the name Primitive Baptist."
    Do you get that paper? I could scan it for you if you're at all interested.

[ March 06, 2002, 01:23 PM: Message edited by: rsr ]

2. Christopher

Christopher New Member

Brethren,

I am a Primitive Baptist in North Carolina. I only know of one Primitive Baptist church in my area that teaches the doctrine of absolute predestination of all things. Brother Glen made a good point...If God is the author of every single even, He crucified His own Son. That is not true. While God had foreordained His Son to be crucified, Peter clearly told the Jews they killed Jesus by their own wicked hands. God uses the pre-existing evil to sometimes bring about his predetermined will. He does not make the wicked do wicked stuff. God knows they will, so He uses them to bring about His will. I believe that some events were maybe predetermined to happen before the foundation of the world, such as the rejection of Christ by the Jews, and of course the crucifixion of His precious Son, our Lord Jesus Christ. Only those events that God needed in order to accomplish His will did He foreordain. At least this is what I believe. However, I do not know the mind of he Lord. I cannot, therefore, make a 100% accurate statement as to God's ways.

To God be the glory, Christopher

3. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So step up to the plate and declare weather you are a Primitive Baptist or not! Come out of the shadows brother and join your Primitive Baptist brethren. I'm proud to be and will defend our doctrine and practices... When you mentioned the Banner of Love you showed your colors... Brother Glen

4. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    Brother Glen:

Can't step up to the plate. I'm not Primitive Baptist but have learned much about them from the board. I enjoy reading The Banner of Love, mostly for accounts of annual meetings and other events.

For one thing, I don't know of any Primitive Baptist churches near here. And I'm not convinced on the PB view of election. I would love to visit one of the churches, though. [​IMG]

5. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I subscribe to several Primitive Baptist papers, but I don't get that one. I am interested that Elder Holmes links the 1000 reign in the same sentence with the no hell doctrine, et. al. I would be shocked to find any PB's that hold the first three mentioned "departures" also holding the premillennial reign of Christ. In fact, I have never known any Primitive Baptist individual or church that holds premillennialism (not saying it isn't so, just that it's totally outside my experience). Perhaps he is just lumping together many things he sees as departures though not necessarily connected. These others, though, often have a lot of interconnectedness (absolute predestination, no hell, no resurrection, two-seeds).

6. Jeff Weaver

Jeff Weaver New Member

Bro. R

I suspect he was listing thing we would consider heresy. Holding a Premillenial postion will get you tossed from the Primitive Baptist Churches I know anything about. I had a very good friend, and fellow minister in Eastern Kentucky who started with this, and he was excommunicated.

Jeff