1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

absolutely free domains

Discussion in 'Computers & Technology Forum' started by stubbornboy, Nov 25, 2005.

1. stubbornboy

stubbornboy New Member

im so upset. :mad: :mad: :mad: those guys from dot.tk wants my domain name twoedgedsword.tk w/c acording to them is FREE are being hit by others yet i havent upload my website.and they said that if i want to maintain my domain i need to pay per year.talk about free.

anyway can you recomend me a free domain.short nd easy to remember

2. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  3. stubbornboy

stubbornboy New Member

i cant afford to pay

4. kubel

kubel New Member

Nobody took me up on the offer for the domain BaptistNeighbors.com yet. If you want it, you can have it. It's registered and paid for until the end of June '06. PM me if you want it.

As far as subdomains: I used to use this until I learned nothing thats good is free except for salvation.

http://www.freedomain.co.nr/

5. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

"You get what you pay for," sadly.

6. AresMan

AresMan Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The charges for a domain name (an ICANN assignment which maps to an IP address through register.com) are separate from the charges of actual web space on disk served up through a web server.

An analogy would be that web space (where the content of Baptist Board is actually stored) would be your house. The domain name could be a mailing address.

A "free domain name" is usually a discount given in a web service package, which includes premium disk space for your site, plus the registration of your desired domain name through register.com. Since register.com has to charge for domain names, there would be no way of simply getting a free domain name without the charge somehow being buried in another part of the service.

You could pay for your own T1 line and serve your site from your own computer, but that wouldn't be free either. Then, since you would not be paying anyone else for web space, you would have to pay register.com for the domain name by itself to point to the static IP address of your own server.

So, to put this in laymen's summary:
    1. A domain name virtually always costs a certain amount of money. Register.com will be paid for every domain name, and it will be an annual fee.
    2. A "free domain name" will only exist as a discount from a combined web service plan, which is not free. The cost of the domain name is absorbed into the cost of the web space.
    3. A domain name is like a mailing address that "points to" your house. Your web site content is your house.

Make sense?

7. Aki

Aki Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    uhmmm...

let's see.

Pare! haha. yup, you read it right. i said Pare. hehe. from the Philippines here. it's been quite a while since i last posted here at BB, and it feels good to see someone around who may just be around.

what? what around? oh, never mind. it just goes round and round. haha.

anyways, for your inquiry, maybe you can do well without a domain name. try geocities, or anything that offers similar free services.

don't mind the domain name that much. what you can do is invite people whom you expect to visit your site. if you want them to go back, just make your site return-worthy through your creativity. you wouldn't need much of a domain name for that.

again, just build your site, get a free webpage space, then never mind the domain name.

at least that's what you can do for now.

hope this helps [​IMG]