1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Abstaining from Blood

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Ben W, Jul 13, 2003.

1. Karen

Karen Active Member

Okay, thanks,a little bit clearer now. I was combining yours, Superdave's brats, and Graceforever's comments.

Karen

2. Artimaeus

Artimaeus Active Member

What boggles my mind is that the Lord had to make a prohibition against this. Abstain from blood...not a problem...yeech!!!

3. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

Karen, that is a good point about female pastors and scripture and how it is taken. I had been thinking along those lines also.

If we really do take the Bible literally then it is forbidden, yet in which forms I suppose would be the question?

4. Dina

Dina New Member

1 Corinthians 8

Food Sacrificed to Idols

1Now about food sacrificed to idols: We know that we all possess knowledge.[1] Knowledge puffs up, but love builds up. 2The man who thinks he knows something does not yet know as he ought to know. 3But the man who loves God is known by God.
    4So then, about eating food sacrificed to idols: We know that an idol is nothing at all in the world and that there is no God but one. 5For even if there are so-called gods, whether in heaven or on earth (as indeed there are many "gods" and many "lords"), 6yet for us there is but one God, the Father, from whom all things came and for whom we live; and there is but one Lord, Jesus Christ, through whom all things came and through whom we live.
    7But not everyone knows this. Some people are still so accustomed to idols that when they eat such food they think of it as having been sacrificed to an idol, and since their conscience is weak, it is defiled. 8But food does not bring us near to God; we are no worse if we do not eat, and no better if we do.
    9Be careful, however, that the exercise of your freedom does not become a stumbling block to the weak. 10For if anyone with a weak conscience sees you who have this knowledge eating in an idol's temple, won't he be emboldened to eat what has been sacrificed to idols? 11So this weak brother, for whom Christ died, is destroyed by your knowledge. 12When you sin against your brothers in this way and wound their weak conscience, you sin against Christ. 13Therefore, if what I eat causes my brother to fall into sin, I will never eat meat again, so that I will not cause him to fall.

1 Corinthians 10

The Believer's Freedom

23"Everything is permissible"--but not everything is beneficial. "Everything is permissible"--but not everything is constructive. 24Nobody should seek his own good, but the good of others.
    25Eat anything sold in the meat market without raising questions of conscience, 26for, "The earth is the Lord's, and everything in it."[1]
    27If some unbeliever invites you to a meal and you want to go, eat whatever is put before you without raising questions of conscience. 28But if anyone says to you, "This has been offered in sacrifice," then do not eat it, both for the sake of the man who told you and for conscience' sake[2] -- 29the other man's conscience, I mean, not yours. For why should my freedom be judged by another's conscience? 30If I take part in the meal with thankfulness, why am I denounced because of something I thank God for?
    31So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God. 32Do not cause anyone to stumble, whether Jews, Greeks or the church of God-- 33even as I try to please everybody in every way. For I am not seeking my own good but the good of many, so that they may be saved.

Doesn't this answer the question?

5. superdave

superdave New Member

Don't want you to understand me either. I am right there with Dr. Bob. 100% inspired, and not only that, but profitble for doctrine, reproof, correction, and instruction in righteousness.

You have to interpret scripture in its literal historical context though, and recognize that sometimes, Paul's specific examples for behaviour are drawn from the cultural context of his day. There are valid principles to be drawn from it all, but the specifics do not necessarily apply to us directly without evaluating the context in which he was speaking. The meat offered to idols problem is one that I have never experienced myself, but the principle of restricting my freedom so as to not offend (cause to sin) another brother. [​IMG]