1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Abstinence should be the only policy!

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by TexasSky, Jul 28, 2005.

1. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

Pray that they would turn from their sin and trust Christ as Savior.

2. Johnv

Johnv New Member

You miss an important aspect. Even if we assume the rhythm method is 100% effective in preventing pregnancy, it is 0% effective in preventing the spread of STD's.

When used correctly:

Condoms have a 12% failure rate per year on both pregnancy and disease.
    Natural family planning methods combind have a 13% failure rate per year on pregnancy, and 100% on disease.
    "Withdrawal" has a failure rate of 21% per year on pregnancy, and 99% on disease.

Abstinence has a 0% failure rate on pregnancy and 0% failure rate on pregnancy.

The most effective birth controls are those where combinations are used. For example, NFP with a condom, or a condom and a spermicide. Effectiveness with combinations shoots up to the nid 90% range. Abstinence is the only method which has a 100% effectiveness rate in preventing pregnancy and disease.

(statistics courtesy the Pregnancy Resource Center of Washington State).

3. Petrel

Petrel New Member

How am I being unbiblical? I tell a man to be faithful to his wife, but if he chooses not to be should I just turn my back? I think it is more biblical to tell him to be faithful, but then if he chooses not to be to warn him to take steps to prevent taking home STDs to his wife. Likewise, I tell a man not to get drunk, but if he decides to anyways, I should tell him to get someone else to drive him home rather than driving himself and possibly killing someone. How is this objectionable?

What is your alternative? In Africa cultural practices help to spread HIV. Women and young girls there aren't really in the position to refuse sex. What do you have to offer them? You can tell their husbands to be faithful all you like, but as long as they refuse monogamy their wives are at risk. So far it looks like your only option is to say, "Too bad, so sad!"

4. Petrel

Petrel New Member

5. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

Nope, I love them and tell them about the Gospel. If they get sick with Aids or whatever, I love them by offering aid and help, and I tell them about the Gospel.

You can go ahead and pass out condoms.

6. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I don't believe anybody in this discussion would disagree with this advice.

7. Johnv

Johnv New Member

The problem, Andy, is that, by that time, innocent people are affected.

I'm not belittling your point. But to say that it goes against scripture to educate people on condom use, or to encourage people to not add carelessness to stupidity, is a little off base.

8. TexasSky

TexasSky Guest

John,

Your statistics say 12% failure rate, but this whole thread is based on the lastest study which says:

"FRIDAY, Sept. 17 (HealthDayNews) — A new study of people who visited a Colorado sexually transmitted disease clinic found that about half of those who regularly used condoms reported mishaps ranging from breakage to slippage."

So that means 50% of the people reporting STD's are blaiming condom failure.

9. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

After Jesus forgave the adulterous woman in John 8, He said, "Go and sin no more." He didn't say "Go and sin no more...but if you do, just make sure you are careful about it."

"Go and sin no more" is the biblical model for the forgiven person. For the unforgiven person, it is, "Repent and believe." Your approach of telling people to sin carefully is patently unbiblical.

10. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

I don't think that weakens the message. It is unnecessary adn shouldn't be done. But hte message is still the right one.

You ask about those who won't listen. The answer is, We tell them that abstinence is the only safe sex and the only thing pleasing to God. There is no back up message. When people make choices, they have to live with the consequences of those choices.

11. Rachel

Rachel New Member

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/Healthology/story?id=44415

Among women, 57 percent reported condom mishaps, compared to 48 percent of heterosexual men and 33 percent of gay men. Condom breakage was the most commonly reported problem.
    The next most common mishaps were slippage and failing to put on a condom before intercourse; other problems included leakage and putting the condom on inside-out.

So what should condom users do to reduce the risk of problems? Experts advise users to avoid oil-based lubricants, make sure to put on a condom before intercourse starts, and hold the base of the condom during removal to prevent spillage.

"Practice makes perfect. The more you use condoms, the less likely you are to encounter problems," said Markus Steiner, a senior epidemiologist at Family Health International, which advocates the prevention of STDs.

12. Gold Dragon

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I don't give a backup message. I encourage giving the truth about the consequence of those choices which includes the failure rates of contraception and STD prevention with and without a condom.

I don't encourage misleading or leaving people ignorant of the consequences of their actions or lack of action.

13. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

Ergo, go have lots of illicit sex, people! Because the more you practice, the better you will get at using condoms and the less likely you will transmit diseases.

That is the world's way of thinking, and sad to say, many Christians have adopted this worldly thinking.

On a lighter note, I thought this was funny, in a sick, ironic sort of way:

I mean, what is that about?

14. Rachel

Rachel New Member

It is sad, but people in the world are going to keep having sex no matter what. The least they could do is find out how to use a 'raincoat' and use it, to cut down on disease. It really shouldn't be that difficult.

15. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

It is sad, but people in the world are going to keep stealing from their employer no matter what. The least they could do is find a way to not steal so much, to cut down on the number of companies that go under due to these embezzlements. It really shouldn't be that difficult.

16. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

Welcome to the Baptist Board's latest game...

Yes its, "The Bad Analogy Show", the game where people come up with the worst analogies to a particular situation.

17. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

Welcome to the Baptist Board's latest game...

Yes its, "The Worldly Thinking Show", the game where people come up with the most desperate ways to be relevant to the world, all while they lose their saltiness.

18. JamesJ

JamesJ New Member

Well said Andy...

19. Gold Dragon

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Let's leave the sarcastic insults out of this otherwise civil and challenging discussion.

MP, do you mind removing your comment?

20. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

On the previous page you said, What do you think is the biblical approach to advise those who refuse abstinence? How is that not asking for a backup message? It seems to me you are admitting that you are looking for a back up message for those "who refuse to practice abstinence." How do you now say you aren't?

The truth should be told: If you practice sex, you are disobeying God who created you and who will judge you, and you are playing russian roulette with your life.

The consequences of their action is judgment, possible death or health problems, unwed pregnancy, and emotional entanglement that will last for life. The only way to avoid that is abstinence.