1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Academic Qualifications of ETS Members Seeking Teaching Positions, #1

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by UZThD, Apr 2, 2005.

1. UZThD

UZThD New Member

Sounds like you would want others to put words in your mouth ... </font>[/QUOTE]===

??

Sorry, you lost me!

What I am simply asking for is clarification of your understanding of the texts and names and offices I mentioned because it seems to me that these are related to the question of whether seminary profs must have pastoral experience or not. Obviously there were no seminaries then, but there were various offices or callings or gifts. But if not all of these were pastors, then what in the NT would say that seminary profs must be pastors?

2. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

UZ,

Do you think that the South African University would be a good option for someone living in the middle of no where?

What is the length of time? two years?

I would like to do something in historical theology.

3. UZThD

UZThD New Member

===

Paul

Your location should be no problem.

Two years is possible IF you have an accredited masters in the general area and did a thesis. But IMO three or even four years will more likely be required.

Unless one is weak in the area of research only a dissertation is required. THat is, this is a research doc, not classwork.

Still I had MA, ThM and had thought a great deal about my topic and was working only part time and researching/writing full time and it still took me three years.

My promoter, Alrah Pitchers, is very competent in historical theology.

4. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

The SBC will not let any of their seminary professors be pastors. They will allow them to be interim pastors though. Politics.

5. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

There are those who teach in seminaries and other universities who only do research and do not train pastors.

6. Broadus

Broadus Member

The SBC will not let any of their seminary professors be pastors. They will allow them to be interim pastors though. Politics. </font>[/QUOTE]SBTS has seminary profs who are pastors. Herschel York and Tom Schreiner are two who come to mind immediately.

Bill

7. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    UZTHD,

Way to go!!! Congratulations!!!!! I am proud of you if nothing more than for the "old man part!?"

"Stay by the stuff!" Maybe God will give you a full-time "teaching gig" like He did me. You are certainly much more intelligent than I. But, the major difference may be that I have two different graduate credentials. I was at the "right place right time." Plus, we are very small.

There is still time for both of us to help some younger ones in their lives to make a change.

Tell me again on board what you told me off board about getting the ThD from Unisa or your school. I think it bears repeating. It might help some of these younger ones to make a "learned decision."

I have a book deal in the works. Writing is the hardest thing I have ever tried to do. Dissertation was easier. It was "an exercise unto graduation" so it had a level of joy about it that writing does not seem to have.

Would you be open to a full time teaching position? Do you shop the Chonicle of Higher Education? Shall I look for a position for you? You are NT, correct?

Let's stay in touch on and off line. I know God will reward you for all of your truly hard work and scholarship. I think the Granville-Sharps Rule on the "Pastor-Teacher" discussion above could give a good bit of insight.

I am very proud of you and for you! Then, I am "an old dog learning new tricks myself."

sdg!

rd

8. UZThD

UZThD New Member

Tell me again on board what you told me off board about getting the ThD from Unisa or your school. I think it bears repeating. It might help some of these younger ones to make a "learned decision."

===

I'm sorry ; I don't remember what I said.

===
    You are NT, correct?

===

No I am Systematic Theology

===

Let's stay in touch on and off line. I know God will reward you for all of your truly hard work and scholarship.

===

Of course. Thanks.

===

I think the Granville-Sharps Rule on the "Pastor-Teacher" discussion above could give a good bit of insight.

===

I don't think so as that Article-Substantive-kai-substantive rule in which both refer to the same individual does NOT hold with NT usage when the substantives are plural. EG, "The Pharisees and the Sadducees" were NOT the same persons ; they only had the same purpose. IMO in Eph 4, the pastors are not the teachers.

9. RandR

RandR New Member

If I might interject into this...

I'm not sure there is any kind of theological or biblical reason why a seminary professor should also have been a pastor. But there are some practical reasons that it certainly doesn't hurt if the seminary professors have had at least some pastoral experience.

One of my own denomination's seminaries currently has as its Provost a man who has never been a pastor, never taken an interim pastor assignment, and never served on a church staff in any kind of capacity. That shouldn't disqualify him, but when one who sets the curriculum for "training pastors" has never served in any ministry capacity, certain problems inherently arise.

Don't get me wrong, the man is quite brilliant. He just has a very poor concept of ministry.

All that being said...that is but one example, and probably shouldn't be considered normative. Like I said, I can only think of practical and not theological reasons that professors who have spent some time "in the trenches" might be a better long-term option.

10. UZThD

UZThD New Member

11. Rhetorician

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    RandR,
    UZTHD,

It has been a long-standing tradition in the SBC that the seminary prof should have practical experience; i.e., the missions professor should have some time on the home or foreign.

There seems to be have been some movement away from that philosophy of teaching. As some of the SBC schools have "turned over" because of the "conservative resurgence" the administrators have gone outside the convention schools and hired scholars from the broader Evangelical camp. I don't their credentials as far as ministry is concerned.

FYI!! My two cents!!

sdg!

rd

12. Rhetorician

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    FYI!!!!

Please forgive the typos above and do some literary criticism as you read.

sorry!

rd

13. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

You are absolutely right. It is a control issue. Most of the early SBC seminary professors pastored. But today the SBC leaders will not let them. Imagine such nonsense? Such hyposcrisy!! Let the professor teach with words only but not apply what he teaches. Isn't that just what Jesus taught?

14. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

The SBC has always let them be an interim pastor but not full time. Are those you mentioned full time professors? If not, then they can pastor. All I know is what my friends who are profs tell me. That is unless things have changed in the last year.

15. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

It is at http://chronicle.com/jobs/