1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Acc: 4 sec: 0

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by FriendofSpurgeon, Dec 1, 2014.

1. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Interesting week --

Clemson over South Carolina
    FSU over Florida
    Louisville over Kentucky
    GT over UGA

Can we now put to rest the "superiority myth" of the SEC?

Yes, they have some good teams, but with 14 universities in the conference, one would think they would have some.

In looking at the current top ten (AP), this is what we have by conference:

SEC (14 teams) - two teams -- Alabama and Miss State
    PAC 12 (12 teams) - two teams -- Oregon and Arizona
    Big 10 (14 teams) - two teams -- OSU and Michigan State
    ACC (14 teams) - one team -- FSU
    Big 12 (10 teams) - three teams -- TCU, Baylor and Kansas State

2. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    and don't even discuss Syracuse.....:tear:

We will be doing a lot of :praying: during the off season.

Now, how will Jim Boeheim do?

3. Thousand Hills

Thousand Hills Active Member

No :rolleyes:, the SEC is superior

All four games you mentioned involved SEC East teams, the East is really weak this year for some strange reason. Lets take a look:

South Carolina- horrible defense, old ball coach is worn out
    Florida - Muschump? still only lost by 5 to Free Shoes U
    Kentucky - They've looked really good earlier this year and are improving, but they are still Kentucky, only lost by 4
    Georgia - OT loss, deflated because they aren't winning the East/Gurley

FSU and GT are the highest rated teams in these rankings, and have the 46th and 49th toughest schedules. Compare that to the schedule rankings of the SEC teams, puts everything in perspective.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/ncaaf/sagarin/

4. PreachTony

PreachTony Active Member

Don't bother, ThousandHills. I've seen this argument play out many times. You say the SEC is still superior, which we all know they are, and the anti-SEC fan will say the SEC is simply over-rated in the preseason polls. There is no way to win this argument. Just rest easy knowing the SEC is the best conference in all of college football.

All things are cyclical. Eventually the SEC East will re-emerge as a power. Like you said, Kentucky took Louisville to the brink, Florida very nearly defeated FSU, Georgia beat themselves in losing to Tech in OT. Only Clemson was convincing in their win, and anyone who follows football will tell you that the Gamecocks were way down this year.

Don't be surprised if Georgia Tech knocks off Florida State this weekend. The Noles have danced on the edge of disaster all season. Don't be surprised if Arizona defeats Oregon again. The Wildcats seem to have the Ducks number. Wisconsin will probably take down Ohio State. It's sad what's happened to the Buckeyes, with Barrett getting hurt and then Kosta Karageorge committing suicide, all of which will probably hurt the Buckeyes, unfortunately.

There is no truly dominant team in college football this year.

5. FriendofSpurgeon

Site Supporter

I get it --- the SEC is great -- it's just that darn SEC East that is weak. Note to file -- the SEC East is 50% of the SEC. So, according to your argument, 1/2 of the SEC is really weak this year -- that just shouldn't matter.

Again, with 14 universities, the SEC has only two (count 'em, two) teams in the top ten (14%). Pac 12 (also with 12 universities) also has two teams (17%) and the Big 12 (with 10 universities) has three teams (30%).

Not that the SEC doesn't have great teams, they do. But at least this year, they are not showing any real dominance. Agree?

BTW, I would be really happy if GT knocks off FSU and if Arizona knocks off Oregon.

6. PreachTony

PreachTony Active Member

No one has shown any real dominance this year. No particular team or conference has truly separated from the pack.

And I agree, for as much as I can't stand Georgia Tech, I hope they take down FSU.

7. FriendofSpurgeon

Site Supporter

1. Agree

2. Thanks for pulling for GT! Please don't be a hater. As time as gone on, with family and friends making the trek to Athens, I've even learned how to pull for UGA.

8. PreachTony

PreachTony Active Member

I'm a bit of an oddity when it comes to college football. I want my Dawgs to win every game they play, obviously. But I want the other teams on Georgia's schedule to do well, so that Georgia looks better when they beat them. Having Georgia win over a winless Florida or Georgia Tech wouldn't do anyone any good.

I prefer the SEC over any other conference, but if I'm sitting down to watch a football game and no SEC game is on I prefer to watch the Big Ten.

9. Thousand Hills

Thousand Hills Active Member

Tony, what's your take on Richt and his future in Athens. He seems to be a good guy, but has had a lot of talent come and go and not much to show for it. Will he jump ship if Michigan or Nebraska come calling, or will he hang around as long as he can. Are the natives restless?

10. PreachTony

PreachTony Active Member

Mark Richt is one of the nicest human beings you'll ever meet. There are people in the UGA area who are calling for his head. Personally, I think he's done a great job, but because he's so nice, and because he's so quick to take his foot off the gas once the Dawgs establish a lead, I don't believe Georgia will ever win a National Championship with him as head coach.

I don't see Richt going anywhere though. Certainly not Michigan or Nebraska. Of the two, he would go Nebraska first. Michigan is a 2-3 year rebuilding job and the fans just have to own that. I don't think UGA fires him unless the wheels absolutely fall off in the next 3 years. Georgia will have a great offense against next year, and the year after that they've already locked up the top pocket-passer QB of the incoming class.

11. Use of Time

Use of Time Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm a Virginia Tech fan and even I know that the SEC is vastly superior to the ACC or just about any other conference. Virginia Tech is no longer the flag carrier for the ACC and Miami is still down. Clemson ended up being of little help this year to beef up the conference and Georgia Tech ran a gimmicky offense that is a pain to defend if they are winning but laughable when they have to throw the ball to catch up late. Even Florida State looked extremely shaky against a terrible Florida team.