1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Accepting Christ as your Savior

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by JustChristian, Jul 24, 2008.

?
  1. Yes. I accepted Christ as my Savior by answering yes to that question or a similar one.

6 vote(s)
    28.6%
  2. No. I was not asked that question.

9 vote(s)
    42.9%
  3. I don't remember.

6 vote(s)
    28.6%
  1. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

When you personally accepted Christ did the pastor ask the following quesation:

Do you accept Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior?

2. jdlongmire

jdlongmire New Member

He accepted me. I surrendered to Him as my Lord and Savior. :)

3. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Amen!:godisgood:

4. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

I ask, if they feel in their heart that God has forgiven them of all their sins?

Salvation is of the Lord, not the Pastor or anyone else.

We don't have it to give.

I didn't vote.

BBob,

5. Pastor Trent

Pastor Trent New Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think you have missed the point. He seems to be asking what did your Pastor (assuming his involvement) ask you when you personally passed from darkness to light.

It wasn't my pastor, it was my mother and she asked me if I wanted to accept the gift of forgiveness for my sin. This was after she explained to me what Jesus had accomplished through the cross and His resurrection.

I said "yes".
    -------------------------------------------
    But to him who does not work but believes on Him who justifies the ungodly,
    his faith is accounted for righteousness. -Romans 4:5

6. Allan

Allan Active Member

IOW - You did 'accept' Him as your Lord and Saviour. This is stated because you chose to 'surrender' unto Him. If you had not surrendered (accepted) you would not be recieved by Him.

See that was easy wasn't it?

7. Allan

Allan Active Member

Is this relating to the Lordship Salvation threads?

I ask because of the question you are posing after a person has presumably been graciously saved includes a specific request for information.

8. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Old Testament picture of the sinner laying hand on the living sacrifice about to be killed might work into the discussion. :thumbs:

9. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

I invoke Eph 2:8. :thumbs:

10. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

I could not answer the poll. When I trusted in the Lord Jesus Christ, when He accepted me, I didn't have a pastor. I was still attending services at the Church of England, where it was assumed that I had been made a Christian when I was "baptized" as a baby. If the question had been something like: "Did you trust in Jesus Christ as Saviour before trusting Him as Lord?" my answer would have been no.

11. jdlongmire

jdlongmire New Member

Behold the rationale of flawed soteriology. My "choice" to surrender was predestined since I was foreknown by God. "Accepting" implies that I somehow had some autonomous capability.

Which I didn't.

And you know what?

Praise the Lord!

12. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In my case in 1973 I was a professed atheist who wanted to get a New Testament the church I went into was offering those who would come forward to accept Christ as Savior.
    It was the New Testament I wanted and just went along with the Roman Road ride, and the Sinner's Prayer.
    As soon as the pastor was told I had been "born again", he gave me the New Testament, and I was out of there in a flash.
    I read and reread that New Testament three times from that Sunday to the next Saturday.
    During that time I understood in my heart the following:

1. I was a child of God, and had always been his sheep;
    2. If Jesus came that moment I would meet him in the air;
    3. That if I loved Him, then I would follow Him in the waters of baptism which I did within the month;
    4. That Jesus Christ is God and Man, sinless, perfect, holy, gracious and kind, and that He is Lord whether I accept that or not.
    Your poll assumes that everyone has a uniform experience.
    Didn't vote.

13. Allan

Allan Active Member

Oh I see, so you 'didn't' surrender to Him like you said.

**nodding patronizingly** :laugh:

Seriously sorry, but the stuff you guys come up with to try and back-peddle from the truth some times just cracks me up. If you 'do nothing' then you would have been saved without 'you' ever having to place any faith in Him.

#13 Allan, Jul 25, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2008
  14. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

We as a church do place much emphasis on them giving their own testimony, rather than us giving it for them.

BBob,:thumbs:

15. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

You learned all that as an atheist and yet didn't learn that you were a sinner in need of a Savior? :confused:

16. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

You beat me to it. hahaha. I have really grown to dislike the "accept Jesus" preaching.

17. skypair

skypair Active Member

I'm amazed...

jdlongmire still hasn't made a personal decision in the matter...

pinoy "received" a NT and full-blown Calvinism by studying it for less than one week even to the point of understanding "it's true whether I accept it or not" (which I surmise means he didn't feel he needed to make a decision about his salvation)...

DavidLamb gives the testimony of many "elect" who thought they were saved by baptism or church membership, but thankfully, he did later choose to put his "trust in the Lord Jesus Christ."

People ... belief in the "Roman's Road"/gospel is "in vain" if it is not accompanied by the "sinner's prayer"/"confession of the mouth" (Rom 10:9-10) I know many of you want to just assume you are "elect", therefore, saved, and in "need of nothing," Rev 3:17.

I know many of you espouse the soul music theology of "People Get Ready, There's a Train A'comin' It's pickin' up passengers from coast to coast, all you need is faith, to hear the diesel hummin', you don't need not ticket, you just praise the Lord."

But you DO need a ticket. So while you're still "at the station," "buy" (Rev 3:18) one from Jesus.
    :praying:

skypair

#17 skypair, Jul 25, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2008
  18. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Luk 18:10 "Two men went up to the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector.
    Luk 18:11 "The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, 'God, I thank You that I am not like other men--extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this tax collector.
    Luk 18:12 'I fast twice a week; I give tithes of all that I possess.'
    Luk 18:13 "And the tax collector, standing afar off, would not so much as raise his eyes to heaven, but beat his breast, saying, 'God, be merciful to me a sinner!' Luk 18:14 "I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other; for everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted."

To say that an atheist can read the Bible and find out he's already saved, without crying out for God's mercy is well.......just beyond my comprehension.

19. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

God chooses, not men.

Matt 22:14
    For many are called, but few are chosen.

John 13:18
    I speak not of you all: I know whom I have chosen: but that the scripture may be fulfilled, He that eateth bread with me hath lifted up his heel against me.

John 15:16
    Ye have not chosen me, but I have chosen you, and ordained you, that ye should go and bring forth fruit, and that your fruit should remain: that whatsoever ye shall ask of the Father in my name, he may give it you.

Romans 16:13
    Salute Rufus chosen in the Lord, and his mother and mine.

1 Cor 1:27
    But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty;

Eph 1:4
    According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love:

2 Thess 2:13
    But we are bound to give thanks alway to God for you, brethren beloved of the Lord, because God hath from the beginning chosen you to salvation through sanctification of the Spirit and belief of the truth:

2 Tim 2:4
    No man that warreth entangleth himself with the affairs of this life; that he may please him who hath chosen him to be a soldier.

James 2:5
    Hearken, my beloved brethren, Hath not God chosen the poor of this world rich in faith, and heirs of the kingdom which he hath promised to them that love him?

1 Peter 2:9
    But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light;

Rev 17:14
    These shall make war with the Lamb, and the Lamb shall overcome them: for he is Lord of lords, and King of kings: and they that are with him are called, and chosen, and faithful.

20. skypair

skypair Active Member

Let's get some definitions straight before we slog into tons of verses that use the terms.

God chooses believers (like the disciples or the weak things, etc.) to ministry or purpose.

God calls all mankind to salvation.

When we make a decision, it is OUR choice, not God's. It may be in conformity to God's will or it may not.

skypair