1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Access Denied-Windows XP2-Home Edition

Discussion in 'Computers & Technology Forum' started by DQuixote, May 25, 2007.

1. DQuixote

DQuixote New Member

I downloaded an UNdelete program. It says it should be run / installed on a disk other than the hard drive that the deleted files are on. I inserted a DVD into the DVD drive. I attempted to create a folder for the UNdelete program to be saved in and run from. I get "Access Denied". I can't create a folder on the DVD disk, I can't copy the executable file from C hard drive to the DVD. I've heard all about "permissions" and "administator" and so on. I've spent several hours browsing Microsoft databases for an answer.

In an effort to create a folder on my CD drive I get "drive not ready."

What do I need? A large screwdriver? A baseball bat?

2. JamieinNH

JamieinNH New Member

Hiya guy.

Just a couple of quick thoughts. Sorry if they sound silly...

1. Is your DVD drive a DVD-RW ( in other words can you write DVD's or just read them)

2. Do you have a program running to set your DVD drive up like a network drive?
    (If not, you will need a program like Nero or another DVD burning program to write files to the DVD.)

3. Have you tried another disk? (sometimes a disk, although not used is bad)

Hope everything works out for you.

Jamie

3. DQuixote

DQuixote New Member

Thanks .. I did all three suggestions, didn't work. I've got a CD-burner but I get access denied. I also get access denied when I go into DOS and try to copy there.

I'll see if one of my grandsons knows what to do.

:thumbs:

4. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are aware that you have to format the rewriteable cds and dvds? If they aren't rewriteables you have to use burning software normally to transfer files to cds and dvds.

Just some thoughts.

5. kubel

kubel New Member

If you have a CD burner, you will need a DVD burner to burn DVDs.

Windows XP has built in burning capabilities, so if the blank media is compatible with the writer, you should be able to drag and drop. The temporary destination XP uses is called the CD staging area, and it's located at C:\Documents and Settings\YOURUSERNAME\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\CD Burning. So if you want to use CMD, just copy your files there. CMD doesn't know how to stage files for burning, so it just throws out "access denied" whenever you try copying directly to the CD. But the Windows GUI should do this without a fuss. I'm not sure why it's not letting you.

I use a program called UltraISO to burn my DVDs and CDs. I think you can download a trial somewhere if Windows won't let you.

6. DQuixote

DQuixote New Member

C:\Documents and Settings\YOURUSERNAME\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\CD Burning is there. I'll try to copy the UNdelete.exe file to there.

p.s. yes I'm aware of formatting and burning, etc.

IT WORKED!! ULTRAISO RULES!! Kubel, you are worth your weight in Bibles.

THANX!!

#6 DQuixote, May 26, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2007