1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Accountability of believers

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by npetreley, Jul 29, 2007.

1. npetreley

npetreley New Member

First: This thread is NOT for discussing Kingdom Salvation or Millenial Exclusion. If you want to promote or discuss those heretical doctrines, start your own thread on them. Please do not contaminate this thread with your views.

The goal of this thread is to discuss the Biblical concept of the accoutability of believers. I happen to believe there are a number of ways in which believers are and will be held accountable for their behavior.

Here are some of the consequences - in this life - of bad behavior (Note my use of "may", since it is ultimately up to God whether or not we experience these consequences):

1. We may experience the direct consequences of our sin. For example, if we steal, we may get caught and (pay fine, go to jail, etc.). We get drunk, our body may suffer. And so on...

2. God may chasten us. For example, the Corinthians were taking the Lord's Supper without respecting or discerning the Lord's body. As a result, many were sick and some had fallen asleep.

3. Our Christian friends or church may discipline us. Obviously, this depends upon whether or not we're attending a good church.

Okay, your turn. Can you add to this list as to our accountability in this life? What accountability, if any, is there afterward?

2. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    KJV Revelation 3:19 As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten: be zealous therefore, and repent.

NKJV Hebrews 12
    5 And you have forgotten the exhortation which speaks to you as to sons: "My son, do not despise the chastening of the LORD, Nor be discouraged when you are rebuked by Him;
    6 For whom the LORD loves He chastens, And scourges every son whom He receives."
    7 If you endure chastening, God deals with you as with sons; for what son is there whom a father does not chasten?
    8 But if you are without chastening, of which all have become partakers, then you are illegitimate and not sons.
    9 Furthermore, we have had human fathers who corrected us, and we paid them respect. Shall we not much more readily be in subjection to the Father of spirits and live?
    10 For they indeed for a few days chastened us as seemed best to them, but He for our profit, that we may be partakers of His holiness.
    11 Now no chastening seems to be joyful for the present, but painful; nevertheless, afterward it yields the peaceable fruit of righteousness to those who have been trained by it.

1 Corinthians 3
    13 Every man's work shall be made manifest: for the day shall declare it, because it shall be revealed by fire; and the fire shall try every man's work of what sort it is.
    14 If any man's work abide which he hath built thereupon, he shall receive a reward.
    15 If any man's work shall be burned, he shall suffer loss: but he himself shall be saved; yet so as by fire.
    16 Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you?
    17 If any man defile the temple of God, him shall God destroy; for the temple of God is holy, which temple ye are.​

3. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

You won't win the prize!

4. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

1. Thanks for reminding us of these truths.

2. I will add that church attendance to encourage fellow believers is part of our accountibility as believers (Hebs 10:24, 25).

5. skypair

skypair Active Member

npetrely,

The only thing I can think of that we will be accountable for in the resurrection to heaven is our false beliefs -- things built on the foundation of Christ which were NOT godly. Instead of building with "gold, silver, and precious stones" (God's wisdom, thoughts, and glory) we will all be accountable for building upon Christ with men's wisdom, thoughts, and glory (wood, hay, and stubble). That is, we're all gonna have some things that will "burn."

Imagine, if you will, all the vain imaginations of men being consumed right down to the Foundation of truth! But this is a SPIRITUAL purgation, not a physical one. It is a cleansing of our minds, if you will -- according as we "seared" our own consciences with false beliefs of men, those thoughts will be seared away by the Truth!!

skypair

6. Steven2006

Steven2006 New Member

Good list, I agree with it completely. I would also add the loss of rewards. Plus even though some may not think of this as a "penalty", I believe shame. When we face the Lord, I believe there will be a lot of shame for things both done and not done. I think genuine sorrow and shame at failing our Lord Jesus will be a very real consequence.

7. Hopeful

Hopeful New Member

Amen to that! I want to be a :saint: , but I fail miserably many times. :tear: