1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Accountability

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by Protestant, Jan 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You erect strawmen so frequently you don't even realize you are doing it!

Amazing!

2. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Skan,

When Arminius made this statement, it seems he was including folks already regenerate - saved ("...that a man, though already regenerate, can neither conceive..."). Therefore, he seems to place the ability of the believer to resist evil as a grace given by God.

I am not certain that it a Scriptural view.

The "fiery darts" are not resisted by grace, but by the very Word ("holding forth the word of God..."). Without the Word of God, the darts penetrate all the shields and damage the believer in every area (intellectually, physically, testimony and witness).

The insertion of "grace" is also in the last part as conditioned upon resisting the Holy Spirit or not.

This is accurate - the believer has the Holy Spirit.

However, it is inaccurate toward them that have no Holy Spirit, nor have the innate capacity to inquire after the Holy Spirit.

There is no "good" in the unredeemed, and what supposed "good" is always tainted with the seeds of decay and lusts. All the Holy Spirit is given to present to the unredeemed is conviction, judgment, and righteousness.

Is not Arminius, therefore, not placing the condition of the lost in the same light and in the same grace as those of the redeemed?

If he is, is that truly Scriptural?

#22 agedman, Jan 23, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2014
  3. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  4. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, some holding to Arminian theology have indeed made 'free will" their sacreed cow, in that the Lord helpless to save any siiner, unless that person permit and allows it!

5. Protestant

Protestant Well-Known Member

Your position has been repeated on this forum innumerable times.

Because of your verbosity I choose to distill its contents into the following easily discernable points:

1. Man is sin sick, but not to point of spiritual death and total inability to do that which is pleasing to God unto salvation.

2. The Holy Spirit enables every man by the power of the Gospel to believe if He so wills.

3. The ultimate decision pertaining to man's salvation or condemnation lies not with the eternal will of God contingent on nothing in man, having done no good or evil, but rather lies in the good or bad use of man's will.

4. Election, therefore, is determined by man's foreseen faith.

Please correct me where I have strayed from your POV.
    Please keep your reply concise, if possible.
    Thank you!

6. Protestant

7. Protestant

8. Inspector Javert

Inspector Javert Active Member

#28 Inspector Javert, Jan 24, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2014
  9. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    that is indded the majority postion held by the non calls here on the BB!

10. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Click on the Google Book link in my post and put a keyword from the except in the search box, like 'continuance' or 'Consummation' and the quote will pop up. There are no page numbers listed. Be warned that because of copyright issues Google will only allow a certain number of page views in this book (which appears to be 5 views).

11. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

I affirm the concept of 'spiritual death' as interpreted in the prodigal son story where the father concludes, "He was dead but now is alive," meaning he was separated or cut off from fellowship with me, but now has come home to be reconciled.

I also affirm that man cannot save himself and needs God's gracious provision. God must initiate the salvation process, thus in that since man is totally unable to save himself. I do reject the idea that man remains totally unable to respond even after God takes the gracious initiate to send the gospel appeal.

"He" is capitalized so I'm not sure if that is meant to be in reference to the man or God? If 'he' refers to the man, I think I would agree with this.

Very poorly worded and confusing at best. God's decision to save whosoever believes is the ultimate decision pertaining to man's salvation. God's gracious atoning work throughout history has ALWAYS been provisional. He provided the snake to be lifted in the desert but the man had to look to it in faith to be healed. God provided the passover promise, but the man had to place the blood over their door post to be saved from the angel of death. He has always worked through provisional atonement, thus it is incumbent on you to prove He is working differently since precedence in on our side.

I've regularly denied the foresight faith view. I affirm what is typically known as the 'corporate view of election.'

A decent summary can be read HERE>>>>>>>

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.