1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Accredited Bible College by mail only?

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Paul1611, Jun 6, 2007.

1. Paul1611

Paul1611 New Member

Does anyone know if there happens to be an accredited Bible College out there that offers distant learning by mail only? I have a friend who is attending a small Bible Institute at his local church one night a week, this man says he is called to preach, and wants to study for the ministry. He said the small institute he is a part of is more like a shallow Sunday School lesson, he is not getting very much from it. I informed him about a number of online seminaries like Liberty, Luther Rice and so on, but he doesnt have access to a broadband/dsl line, he only has dial up where he lives, and says he isnt going to try it with dial up. He also has a lot of time at work to study, but doesnt have computer access at work. Does anyone have any suggestions? I know Covington is all book studies, but its not accredited. I have heard alot of good things about Louisiana Baptist University (even though not accredited either), but I think you have to have some internet contact with them also. Any suggestions or ideas?

2. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

Lbu

LBU does not require Internet access. He can do his work solely through correspondence.

There are a lot of factors to consider such as this man's academic background, study skills, etc. Some rather demanding degree work can be done via correspondence with UNISA or South African Theological Seminary. If interested, you can find these easily on the Internet and pass along the postal addresses. The only problem is that the snail mail is slow and the course work is quite rigorous.

Also, the individual can research this on his own by visiting his local public library which usually has Internet access for its patrons. In fact, I know a man who completed college-level courses via Internet access at his local public library. If properly motivated, one can do whatever he needs to do but it ain't always easy. :smilewinkgrin:

Does the individual have a college degree?

3. Paul1611

Paul1611 New Member

No, he doesnt have a college degree. He is 30 or 31 years old, he quit high school years ago, but did go back and get his GED. I didnt think about the public library, I dont know if he would be up to that or not. To be completely honest with you i am not sure how rigorous of a program this brother is wanting. I just know he isnt happy with his church institute, he acts like he desires more, I just dont know how much more. I will let him know about the UNISA / South African Theological Seminary. Thanks for the suggestions.

4. Humblesmith

Humblesmith Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think you should have him investigate Southern Evengelical Bible College (www.ses.edu) which is connected to Southern Evangelical Seminary. They are accredited, and have full distance education. It's not "online" but rather "distance education." This means that the classroom versions of the lectures are recorded and one can listen to MP3 files or view DVDs. He would need some internet access, but it would only be initially to sign up for the courses, then an occasional email. It could be done via dial up. Downloading the MP3s at the beginning of the courses might be a little slow, but that's only a once-per-course event. And that might could be worked around somehow.

The assignments are all done via regular mail or email, your choice.

To graduate, he would have to take a few of the courses in one-week long "modules" in Charlotte. But most courses could be done from home. Check it out.