1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

ACCREDITED?

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Paul1611, Oct 6, 2005.

1. dcorbett

dcorbett Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    West Coast Bible College in Lancaster Calif is not accredited, and I don't believe that Dr Chappell feels a strong urge to get it. And you would get the best Bible education ever.

Debbie C

2. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

Well, I don’t like compulsory accreditation either. IMHO, it should be a voluntary choice. Furthermore, I do not like the a priori assumption that unaccredited necessarily means poor or substandard. BJU, IHMO, is all we need to establish this is untrue. However, accreditation is good when it is properly and rightfully used. I am against all the little bogus accreditors that have sprung up with the proliferation of the degree mills. All the degree mill operators can claim accreditation even though their brother-in-law runs the accreditor.

I do support accredtitation as a voluntary process. (BTW, I am presently serving on an accreditation committee.) On the other hand, we cannot accept accreditation as the final word in academic quality control. There are weaknesses and drawbacks. We must see accreditation for what it is and not assume that it is the panacea for all our academic issues. Here are some faults:
    1. We tend to trust accreditation too much. There are some poor accredited schools. caveat emptor
    2. There are politics in accreditation. Money and prestige count here too.
    3. The accreditation process is lacking in real ability to measure quality. Accreditation is more about things accompanying quality than the direct measurement of quality.
    4. Accreditation can be limiting on innovation and creativity. It is slow to change although it does change over a period of time (e.g. distance ed).
    5. Accreditation can be prejudicial toward certain viewpoints (e.g. creationism).
    6. Accreditation can be used to force one’s own agenda upon another (e.g. Semex).

3. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

How very well put.Kudos Paidagogos for clarity,forthrightness, and just plain old intetinal fortitude.

4. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

Here's the "s" for intestinal.

5. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

Personal observation:
    There appears to be an inbred bias, with some reason, against accreditation within certain Christian circles, especially Fundamentalism. There were several cases in the last century when a Christian school tried to fire liberal, unbelieving, or heretical instructors. If the instructor cried foul and took his case to the accreditor citing violation of academic freedom, the accreditor generally sided with academic freedom over doctrinal purity. Secular accrediting agencies have no feel for doctrinal matters. Accreditation was seen as the harbinger of liberalism. Therefore, the Fundamentalists, who value doctrinal purity over all else, reasoned that it was easier not to seek accreditation. Other arguments and justifications grew up around this.

One of the initial reasons that Bob Jones College gave for not seeking accreditation was that SACS would require them to have smoking lounges for their students. Dr. Bob, Sr. repeatedly said that they would be happy to seek accreditation if it was based on their results. (BTW, BJU with others did try to start their own accrediting agency but they couldn't get DoE approval.) What they did not want to sacrifice was autonomy over their procedures. After all, accreditation is a trade-off: you give up something to get something.

Today, the Fundamentalist’s case against accreditation is not as strong due to changing circumstances (i.e. new accreditors, new attitudes toward academic freedom and employment, etc.) although I will staunchly defend the right of any school, religious or secular, to forego accreditation for whatever reason. This is my concept of academic freedom—anyone is free to start their own school teaching whatever doctrine but they are not free to do it in my school.

6. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

Many Fundamentalist schools still view accreditation as control over a religious entity by a secular body. Fundamentalists see the church and school in the same light--both are under God's control. Like the autonomy of the local Baptist church, they wish to preserve the autonomy of the Christian school whether day school, college, or seminary.

7. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

That's because you're a Southerner, dude!

8. UZThD

UZThD New Member

9. UZThD

UZThD New Member

==

What is your evidence of that?

10. Pipedude

Pipedude Active Member

It's okay. I sensed nothing sinister. And I think that your views are well founded and sensible.

11. UZThD

UZThD New Member

Thanks Pipedude. BTW are you a smoker or a plumber? [​IMG]

12. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

Yeah, there is a little bit of an enigma with TRACS. They accept a lot of unaccredited degrees. Mind you, I am not saying degree mill, just unaccredited. Take BJU for instance. They have a high percentage of guys with terminal degrees from BJU. Prior to TRACS candidacy, they were unaccredited. Check out some of the other colleges accredited by TRACS with faculty sporting unaccredited doctorates from none other than unaccredited BJU. Some of these small college faculties are depending on these BJU doctors for their academic rigor.

Since it takes a doctor to make a doctor, the question is whether an unaccredited doctorate can make an accredited doctorate? I posed this question years ago about accredited Union Institute that offered a doctorate in psychotherapy. Their only doctorate on faculty in psychotherapy was an individual with a doctorate from HEED, an unaccredited external degree school. Can an unaccredited doctor make an accredited doctor?

Does anyone care to tackle this one?

13. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Paidagogos,

The standard would probably be (it is my assumption and I believe a good one), for an RA or ATS accredited agency school that an unaccredited degreed doctor could not rise above "his raisings" as it were and direct doctorates at an RA/RTS school.

That is not in any way to discount the person's own professional, personal, and experiential learning. But, usually one has to hold at least one degree higher than they are teaching or directing.

In the case of the PhD/ThD, everyone on the committee must hold the terminal degree. Generally, there are also internal university or seminary requirements for the comm. members to have or hold in order to sit on the grad comm. of the doctoral candidate. Such as: having taught grad courses in the discipline for "X Number" of years. Also, at the university where I did my PhD work in Rhetoric, we had to have someone from another dept. in a cognate discipline come and sit on the comm. so the work would be well rounded. In Rhetoric, I had a PhD prof from the history dept. who was on the committee.

There can always be exceptions or exclusions I suppose.

I hope this helps.

sdg!

rd

14. dcorbett

dcorbett Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==
    What is your evidence of that? [/QB]</font>[/QUOTE]By the volume of missionaries and young preachers that are coming out of that school with very good knowledge of the King James Bible.
    I went with our youth group to a youth conference there lasy Spring and saw the music program, met and listened to the teaching staff, and saw a church that had grown from 5 people to well over 5,000. (Lancaster Baptist Church)

Check out the school's website.

West Coast Baptist College

15. PHM

PHM New Member

Since when does God need a secular state institution to accredit His workers. If
    Christians want to have Christian acceditng associations thats fine. answer me this who accredited, Jesus, and the Apostles, and Church Fathers?
    Listen to my sermons at:
    http://www.sermonaudio.com/phm

16. UZThD

UZThD New Member

===

I'm not inspired like Jesus and His apostles so I wish to get a good education like the church fathers had.

17. UZThD

UZThD New Member

By the volume of missionaries and young preachers that are coming out of that school with very good knowledge of the King James Bible.

===

Thanks for responding. To follow-up:

1)Does that school put out more missionaries and pastors than does, say, Multnomah?

2)Why is a knowledge of the KJV THE criterion for "the best Bible education" when many other very fine, Christian schools do not make that translation any part of a measure for determining quality in Bible knowledge ?

18. UZThD

UZThD New Member

19. UZThD

UZThD New Member

===

Did Jesus and the apostles record their sermons and advertize them on the net [​IMG]

20. Pipedude

Pipedude Active Member

The "pipe" actually refers to a bubble pipe, so I'd best be described as a blowhard.