Accusation against a Moderator

Discussion in 'Member Questions, Feedback & Suggestions' started by Martin Marprelate, Feb 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate
    Expand Collapse

On the following thread https://www.baptistboard.com/thread...erusalem-the-church.98427/page-7#post-2210876 there has been an accusation that one member has doctored the posts of another member to suggest that he has said something he hasn't. The accused member also happens to be a moderator.

Having looked back through the thread, there seems to be a prima facie case to answer. This is a very serious matter. If members cannot have confidence that their posts will not be tampered with, they can have no confidence in the Board as a whole. Will the administrators and the other moderators please give this matter their urgent attention? Whether the allegation is proved to be true or false, there will clearly be a need for discipline.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Darrell C

Darrell C
    Expand Collapse

It would depend on what you are referring to in the thread.

Here is an example:

The first quote may be correct, regardless of whether the second poster used the word translation, that is the inferred argument.

Secondly, it is just going to happen that statements like "You are saying..." arise out of the conclusion drawn from the statement of the antagonist, and shouldn't be taken to mean "I am saying you actually believe this." It is just a way to present what the offered view, concept, theology...results in.

Lastly, I would like to know if you are saying a poster's statement was directly changed, or if this change was made in a quote of a poster.

If the former, this is a serious charge. If the latter, we have to remember this is going to happen sometimes.

God bless.

3. Rob_BW

Rob_BW
    Expand Collapse

Did you link to right post? All I see is someone saying they have a screenshot of a post, not that anything has been doctored. Or is that implied elsewhere in the thread?

4. Revmitchell

Revmitchell
    Expand Collapse

This is what the report feature is for. Threads like this are not necessary and only work to inflame situations.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Darrell C

Darrell C
    Expand Collapse

Abuse of power is a serious issue, so I don't see anything wrong with it being brought to attention. Many of the forums I have been on have had a primary problem of lack of discipline, but, I have been on a few where Moderation was biased and resulted in the restraint of open discussion.

Secondly, it makes a good opportunity to actually look at the complaint, and it might be that the complaint is the result of simply misunderstanding the nature of debate. As mentioned, we post conclusions we draw from the statement/s of our antagonist, that doesn't necessarily mean we think the antagonist is guilty of the conclusion.

An example from that thread would be the discussion of Satan being the god of this world. That is just a fact. But, those who do not understand that retort with "Then Satan is your god!" It is the expected conclusion drawn, it is syllogistic.

Satan is the god of this world.

We are in this world.

Satan is our (your) god!

But I doubt one person on this forum has the slightest suspicion that anyone else here is actually a Satan worshipper.

It's just a debate. Expect this kind of thing to arise.

It's just a matter of saying, If you believe A, then what you are saying is B is true.

God bless.

• Like Like x 1
  6. TCassidy

TCassidy
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Administrator

As an Administrator I have access to the edit history of every post. I have examined every post in that thread and can't find any evidence that any post has been edited by anyone other than the original poster.

If you think a Moderator or Administrator has edited your post, or the post of another person, please give me the post number and I will look at it again.

The URL above leads to a post that was edited only by the original poster.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Santha

Santha
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Administrator

Please use the reported posts feature to log your comments in.
    Mods and Admins are actively watching the updates from the reported posts feed.
    "No one is above the law."

8. InTheLight

InTheLight
    Expand Collapse

There are two posters on BB that continually complain about a certain moderator editing, altering, or deleting their posts. I've been involved in several threads with these people claiming to have had their posts edited and I've never seen it myself. I think it's simply sour grapes.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Santha

Santha
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Administrator

Starting threads about an individual is against Board's policy.
    Posts needs to be reported to get mod/admin attention, as it is being actively monitored.

10. Internet Theologian

Internet Theologian
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

Thanks for taking this up MM. It is not as if this is all new behavior. These things have been noted and reported often. Doctoring another's post is over the top, and is not holding forth the integrity of a professing believer. It is deceitful in practice in order to 'win' and argument. It is clear that the person started Here it is. You said it. I'm not interested in the defense of this behavior.

Imagine, if you will, a regular member relentlessly lying, doctoring, accusing of being lost. Wonder how long that would last. That said this former behavior has gone on a long while and there are always those who rush in to call out those who call him on it, and overlook the lies and other that are practiced by him.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Revmitchell

Revmitchell
    Expand Collapse

I agree

12. Darrell C

Darrell C
    Expand Collapse

And this is a good policy, but there is still the matter itself which we should be able to discuss.

I have mentioned before, that if the Staff enforced with regularity one simple rule, "Address the post and not the poster," it would limit the amount of contention that arises.

But you have to stay on top of it, and this is a lot of work. Because of friendships formed not everyone is going to use the "report post" feature. I have only used it in the past just to illustrate to a few who did use it that they, if all posts reportable were reportable...would be reported fairly often. So there arises an issue where reliance on membership participation is not going to work out too well.

Again, I am not saying how the thread is presented is okay, just that the issue itself is something we should be able to discuss. And it seems that this has been addressed by an administrator, who looked for editing and didn't find any. That could not have happened if it hadn't been brought up. It's better to address these things directly with the staff, but, I can tell you that in the past some of the issues I have tried to deal with behind the scenes went ignored.

Nothing to get someone's attention better than a little publicity, eh?

;)

God bless.

13. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Administrator

With Santha's and TCassidy's posts, I am closing this thread with predjudice.

• Like Like x 1
  14. TCassidy

TCassidy
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Administrator

Please post the thread URL and post number you claim was "doctored."

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.