1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Acedemic Freedom versus Indoctrination

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Mark Osgatharp, Feb 1, 2006.

1. bapmom

bapmom New Member

Wouldn't another good solution be to have a college started and run by a particular church? I mean then who the college hires is dictated by one particular local body of believers, it is teaching according to that church's particular standards, and when you decide if you want to go there or not you'd have a better understanding of what you'd be getting going in. This seems to be a trend among IFB more and more now.

For now I even see it as more Biblical. Letting the local church be the guide of the education even up through college.

I know what shannonL is saying about those colleges. My brother-in-law went to one of those and it was Christian in name only, much less Baptistic. But if they were under the authority of a local church, wouldn't they have a greater capacity for staying straight and true to God's Word and standards?

Honest question......

2. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    bapmom, what you mention is a "solution" or method that is used by a number of Baptist churches. I believe almost all of the schools in the American Baptist Association are local church owned & operated, and a number of independent Baptist churches own/run schools. I'm sure it offers advantages and disadvantages. The problem I see is that the church is adopting the trappings of the secular education model, all the way from the setting to the degrees.

Baptist Believer, I'm curious about your mention here of seminary allowing "the student to test their views and mental discipline against a much larger subset of society." Larger is what sense? Number? Variety? What kind of subset? Thanks.