1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Act II

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by carpro, Feb 4, 2008.

1. Baptist in Richmond

Baptist in Richmond Active Member

Your statement simply reinforces the notion that you have a complete and total lack of understanding of Marxism.

That is what is most "obvious." You really don't know when to quit.

2. Baptist in Richmond

Ed,
    This is a well-written response, and I appreciate that you took time out of your schedule to reply to me.

Actually, that is indeed an accurate statement.
    This is a well-known quote here in the Commonwealth, and if you ever make the trip to the Jamestown Settlement [the recreation, not the actual site (I highly recommend both, by the way)], you will find this prominently displayed. The United States as we know it sprang from 13 original colonies. The first permanent English settlement was in Jamestown. All other areas of the United States were merged into the colonies that started here in Virginia.

Sure.

Ah, that is true; however, who is it that takes credit for the tax cut at every turn? Who is it that is demanding that the tax cuts be made permanent?

This is in direct relation to the audience. In other words, the decision was made based upon the audience to which the comments were addressed. That's an easy one, Ed.

I guess you would have to read the transcript in its entirety.

This is precisely why the quote was taken out of context - to elicit this reaction.

I am one of those who would qualify, and I agree with her. I have never understood this selfish sense of entitlement that some have with their success. There is not other country like the United States, and that is the real reason for anyone's success, moreso than their ability. If someone thinks that his/her ability alone is the reason for their success, let's see them move to another country and attempt to duplicate that prosperity. In almost every case, it won't happen. Let's use the coutries that you offered in your response: "Paraguay, Afghanistan, Benin, Rwanda, Chad, Vietnam or the Central African Republic." Are any of those countries called the "Land of Opportunity?" I have also heard of people touting life back in the Fifties, when we didn't have all this liberalism. Check out the tax rates back in the Fifties. I am sure we are all aware of the statement by Colonel Tom Parker (talking to Elvis): "I consider it my patriotic duty to keep Elvis up in the 90 percent tax bracket." [Source: http://www.nytimes.com/books/99/01/03/specials/presley-obit.html]

This is wholly and completely wrong. The quote that you have repeated has absolutely nothing to do with tax rates. Please show us where Marx ever discussed the manipulation of tax rates for the redistribution of wealth. My knowledge of Karl Marx is somewhat limited, but it is glaringly apparent that most of the people who have mentioned Marx have absolutely no understanding of who he was or what he wrote. I have studied enough to know that this is indeed the case. During the Holidays, one of the lesser-known hosts who filled in for Rush Limbaugh was talking about Karl Marx, and made it clear that he was completely ignorant with respect to what Marx wrote. The fact is: Clinton is not a Marxist. Any claim to the contrary is not only wrong, it is intellectually dishonest.

So, with respect to the carpro quote, either:

1. carpro received the email that is making the rounds in cyberspace, and simply cut and pasted it into the signature line without really checking out the quote for accuracy.

or

2. carpro made an effort to find the quote and then used just a section of the comments to further an agenda.

Either way, the perception generated by the way the quote is utilized is incorrect.

Again, thanks for the reply. I strongly disagree with you, but appreciate the effort to correspond.

Hope all is well,
    BiR

#22 Baptist in Richmond, Feb 6, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2008
  3. Baptist in Richmond

That is not true, carpro.

To quote the late former Senator Daniel Patrick Moynihan:
    [quote"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." [/quote]
    http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Daniel_Patrick_Moynihan

Since you have never offered any proof for your accusations/assertions (and in some cases your wildly egregious statements), it is nothing more than your opinion, rooted in your perception of reality.

4. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Except to the willfully blind, it is.

Proof has been provided, but charistically, you ignored it and I won't provide it again.

#24 carpro, Feb 8, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2008
  5. Baptist in Richmond

:laugh: <----- This is me laughing at you.

As usual, you have provided absolutely nothing, other than baseless claims to the contrary. You can claim it all you want, but it doesn't change that fact. Here's some advice: at least try to utillize a spell check program before you falsely claim something. Granted, it makes your responses less humorous, but you don't look quite so bad.

There are some on this board who are quite engaging and offer some very keen insight, writing well-thought-out responses. You are not one of those people.

6. Ivon Denosovich

Ivon Denosovich New Member

See, I thought the whole point of smilies was to communicate something so obvious that no further explanation was necessary.

:1_grouphug: <------ This is me hugging everyone in this thread. (I'm a social leftist, we do that sorta thing.)

7. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

You are entitled to present your view. And I am not really concerned about it.

8. Baptist in Richmond

Not sure why you insist upon making more comments that simply validate my observation, but thanks............. I guess.

BTW, you never provided any proof for your contentions.

9. Baptist in Richmond

Smiles, yes. But I was laughing.

Sure, and I am the one in green! But what makes you think that some of those on the right would ever hug a "social leftist?"

Regards Ivon, hope you and yours are well,
    BiR
    ..............and thanks for the hug.

10. Ivon Denosovich

Ivon Denosovich New Member

Ah! Point taken.