1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Active youth!

Discussion in 'Youth Forum' started by JesusInFirstPlace, Sep 3, 2004.

1. JesusInFirstPlace

JesusInFirstPlace New Member

Okay, y'all. Youth (like teenagers and stuff) are supposed to be active, fun, and exciting. So why is it that we don't have any exciting threads going on??? I dunno, so I decided to start one.

Well, you can talk about whatever you want, and I'll start by talking about school. How many of y'all have started school already (I started 4 weeks ago :rolleyes: , but some people don't start until after labor day (in only a couple days!))? What kinds of things do you do for fun? Are you in any clubs? I just want to get to know everyone, me being new to the BB, and all.

This isn't meant to be a debate thread or anything-but I'll understand if it happens. As a wise BB Member once wrote-threads have a way of changing subject... ;) Let's just prove what youthful people we are (or whatever) and have some fun with a thread!!!

In Christ,
    Becca
    [​IMG]

2. amazinglove92

amazinglove92 New Member

I am a youthful teen! I will post a comment!
    I just stated school, well, last Tuesday. I am taking a Spanish class so Olah! Amigas!I think that is right. Well, anyway I just got back from a youth activity we went put-put golfing. Good times!
    I am trying to get more kids involved in youth activites and the like. Does anyone have any advice on that? I would loved to be involved in a super youth group. Can this be achieved? If so, how?

3. JesusInFirstPlace

You were close-it's hola, amigas. ;) Putt-putt golfing is so fun! I wish my youth group did stuff like that! We do a bunch of cool stuff, but I don't think we ever did putt-putt. Well, as far as getting kids involved in the youth group, I had to deal with the same thing last year at my old church. There were a couple of people that didn't think that youth group activities were 'cool' enough, so they got the whole youth group not wanting to go. It was awful! I don't know what to tell you to do, but I (along with my sister and my best friend) made sure to be overly active in the youth group as a good example to the rest of the teens. Also, pray for the people that don't want to be involved!

In Christ,
    Becca

4. amazinglove92

amazinglove92 New Member

Thank you Becca!
    I am thoroughly embarrased about my misspelling of hola please, forgive me!
    Well, the thing is with my youth group is that we have a lot of teens (okay, twenty) but they just won't be reliable. I call them before every activity "Hey you going to be there?" " Of course Matt.Sre thing!" But are they? No!
    But, thank you so much for your input.
    I do know that growth isnt everything, and that the goal of the youth group shouldn't be to grow as in numbers wise but spiritually. So let me make that clear.
    I went to a youth group once that growth was e
    verything there! There goal was " Hey lets make this group huge!" but they had the wrong focus. It was all actvities, and special meetings, and little plans for you to go on.
    What does your youth group do Becca?

5. JesusInFirstPlace

Well, my youth group just lost a lot of its godly active leadership (all went off to Bible colleges!). But what we have left is about 60% of the teens who go to any fun activities, but none of the activities where the focus is all on growing in your relationship with God. Then the other 40% basically goes on everything (some of them because their parents make them :( ).

We do several youth conferences (focusing on preaching, rather than 'fun'), ranging from 2 hours long to 4 days long (once a year we go for 4 days to West Coast Baptist College in Lancaster California. They have a huge youth conference every year, and it's Great!!!).

Then once a month we just hang out after Sunday evening service until about 10 or 10:30. Also once a month we try to do something just for everyone to get together and have fun: we do ice-blocking, the rock gym, go-karts, paintballing, regular sports, sledding (in the winter, obviously), and stuff like that. It's a lot of fun.

But thankfully that is not the entire purpose of the youth group. Most of us are involved in other ministries at church (choir, special music, leaders in the AWANA program, nursery workers, etc). Also, some of the teens get together on Saturdays for visitation. So we are definitely active as a youth group.

What kinds of things does your youth group do? Well, I'll pray for you that your youth group will grow spiritually and just be on fire for God!!

Becca

6. amazinglove92

amazinglove92 New Member

Your youth group sounds like a lot of fun!
    To bad you lost a lot of your leaders, but God will put new ones in.
    I know about the teens who only come to the fun. We have some of them too. It is kinda annoying my church works hard to put on youth activities and then the only ones attended are the ones containing all games.
    We took our teens up to a teen conference in Charlevoix and the whole time some of the kids complained about the preaching being long. (I must admit the preaching was extremely long!) They where so caught up in complaining that no decisions where made!
    My youth group goes up to Northland Bible Baptist College to Spring Fest every year which is cool. We also are planning, Lord willing, to go to Hati next year!!!
    Well thanks for the edification, Becca. God Bless you and may the Light always shine on your path!

Long my imprisoned spirit lay, Fast bound in sin and natures night
    Thine eye diffused a quickening ray, I woke, the dungeon flamed with light
    My chains fell off, my heart was free, I rose, went forth and followed thee!

7. JesusInFirstPlace

It would be so exciting to get to go to another country! The closest I've come is a missions trip in Mexico, which was great-we got to help repair a totally broken down church building for the people, but Mexico is only 5 hours from here, so how exciting can that be? Still, I loved being able to serve God, even though all I was talented enough to do was help paint and clean up.

God bless you too. Thank you for the encouragement.
    Becca

8. Jodo Kast

Jodo Kast New Member

Any day is exciting with the Lord. I took the best shortcut of my life the other day. It was raining and I was coming off the interstate. I just got my car and I am completely not used to the front wheel drive.

So I veer on to this full 270 degree off ramp; well I start to feel the car slip. Well I am like ok "Drifting yeah fun" I've done this a thousand times before. NO. before I know it my nose is facing to the inside of the curb perpindicular to the road.

If you can't visualize well, then it basically means I was going down the off ramp sideways. I quickly and fully compensate the other way, but its too late! Physics being the wonderful force that it is allows my car to jump right over the curb and down one of those large off ramp hills.

I thank Jesus for keeping me safe, But I was quite excited, and it was really fun.

Ok, so im going down this grassy hill at 30 MPH (Idk, I wasn't really looking at the speedometer) I come down to the bottom an I see the road back in front of me. So I am like "Yeah shortcut". so I just get back on the road, do a quick (while driving tire check), and go to my favorite restraunt for a full car inspection.

Luckily there was absolutely no damage to the car. What can I say, Jesus and Myself make quite a driving team ;)

Ohh and Olah Amazinglove! [​IMG] J/K and Hi to you as well Becca.

9. Jodo Kast

Jodo Kast New Member

Losing a really inspiring leader is hard. Esspecially for many youth. I very much disliked losing my pastor to another church. All I can think to say is that God has a plan for each and everyon of those persons. and for each and everyon of the youth in your group. there time will come, they will always find someone to look up to. Even leaders look up to someone. Perhaps you yourself could be an unoffical leader to them. have them look up to you, BECAUSE who do you look up to? The Lord Almighty. There must be a way for you to invoke their respect in you, and Channel it for the Glory of God. Even if it is only one youth, that is one more eternity to be enjoyed.

10. JesusInFirstPlace

Hi!! Well, I think that is the most amazing (and pretty strange to imagine) car story I have heard. I am glad you were okay though! I hope and pray that I could be the kind of leader that my youth group needs. But I don't know if I can. I have sort of a shaky relationship with a lot of these teens (we used to not get along) so I don't think they could get past our past enough to look up to me. But as long as I'm doing what God wants I should be fine!!! Well, good night y'all, and drive safe, Jodo Kast!!!!

Becca

11. Jodo Kast

Jodo Kast New Member

Well About five years ago I was going on a ski retreat with my youth group, and several kids I did not know went. And they were the type, that just came for the fun, not for God. Well I didnt even associate with them really. Cause I didn't particulary like them. But now one of them is my roommate, and is really on fire for christ. It's weird how things work out. I was never really a part of his decision to come to Christ, because of my bias.

How old are you and the people you are having trouble with, just out of curiosity?

What I might suggest is just grab one after church, if you can, and take them out to lunch. Tell them you want to make it right, tell to there face, make a gesture. One by one you might be able gain their trust.

Wait I forgot this is the active youth thread. Lol I'll save my advice for another thread.

12. amazinglove92

amazinglove92 New Member

Jodo you need to work on your driving. My word that must have been scary! But it sounds like you took a rocking short cut!
    You give excellent advice.
    Becca's trip to Mexico sounded like fun. Do you guys now of Pastor Simson? (I think I got his name right) Well he was a missionary to Brazil for a lot more years than I am old, maybe 30!
    Well, he takes people all around the world if they want to go and have the money to go, on different trips. He tooka couple from our church to Brazil to work in an orphanage.
    It sounds like a lot of fun!
    So missions trips are always avaible no matter how old you are.

No condemnation now I dread, Jesus, and all in Him, is mine. Alive in Him, my living Head and clothed with righteousness divine!

May the Light continually guide our way!
    Matt
    Matt

13. Jodo Kast

Jodo Kast New Member

Yeah I will Work on it Matt. One day I'm going to own that turn. If you dont play CS I guess you won't understand what I just said.

14. amazinglove92

amazinglove92 New Member

CS I? Please Explain.
    Wouldn't owning a turn cost a whole lot of money?

15. amazinglove92

amazinglove92 New Member

Woops wrong button. I meant to place a smily face there. ;) Like that. Now I got it! [​IMG] yaaah for me.

Matt

16. JesusInFirstPlace

Okay, way back to original questions- I'm 17, and I was having trouble with people that were ages 15-19. All the older kids left, but I was already back talking to them. The younger kids (15-16) I have aready started reconnecting with (it seems like we go a long way with talking about getting permits/licenses and just cars in general because I just got one (yay!!).

So it's just a couple of people my age that I just don't click with. I always feel like I don't belong talking to them (which is so frustrating!)! But, slowly we are coming around- the girls at least. I just basically walked up during service and said 'hey, is there room by you?' and sat down. Then we got to talking and everything.

But they weren't the ones who only go to activities that are fun- they are just the teens that I never used to get along with. The ones who never come are basically a small group of 17-year old guys, who I have nothing in common with-we don't like the same music, we don't care about any of the same things, and they don't seem to have any desire to serve God (my brother is included in this group.

I am really worried about my brother most of all because he stopped going to church outright. He hooked up with the WRONG friends, and I think he started smoking (I'm not sure though). He's only 15, but I really worry about him!! Any advice would be great! I just try to be an example for him, and encourage him to come to church with me or get involved in the youth group activities (I'd do well to convince him to go to just the fun ones!).

Well, I know this whole things sounds really really complicated, and it sort of is! Maybe it will help if you know that I lived with my mom in NC last year. So I just got back to Phoenix about a month ago, and am having to start relationships with these people all over again-in one year so much has changed. The girls have gotten closer (while I have gotten farther) to eachother. I don't know-I'm just having problems! (I can't even really understand everything, so I don't blame you if you don't!!!)

Well, on a different note, what is CS??? And I don't know of Pastor Simson. I only know a few missionaries to other countries, mainly Mexico and Russia, although I have met several missionaries and pastors from the Caribbean (mainly Trinidad and Granada and Barbados).

Becca

17. JesusInFirstPlace

Oh, and on a much lighter note- Jodo Kast, where does the name Jodo Kast come from????

Becca

18. Jodo Kast

Jodo Kast New Member

My "Name"; Jodo Kast:) It is just a name I use for all my online activities. Its simple and I think it sounds cool. I just made it up, but apparentyly other people use it, hence the ten fifteen suffix. Feel free to call me Will though. And while I'm at it; my full name is William Addison Rumbaugh IV.

CS = Counter Strike. Its a warfare game in which You have to beat "The Terroist". Its a very twitchy game and dramaticly, and I mean Dramaticly inproves your reflexes. It's not a nice game by anymeans, your out to shoot each other. None the less To Own some one means to beat them ie shoot them. Its not only CS, I might use it in basketball or something else competitive. etc

Becca, You and my roomate have a lot in common. His sister is in the same situation as your brother. Honestly we have had no effect on her. we have tried everything. She still goes to church, and the likes of that, but she is hanging out with the wrong crowd.

In my honest Opinion It may take a fall from grace to teach your brother. It's risky to bide your time, and wait for something bad to happen to him. However a lot of times that is what it takes to get it in their mind. If he will not listen to you , time is one way to let him see the errors of his ways. Hopefully he will see the people around him spiraling out of control. Then he will make the decision to change. If he fails to see, what we know is wrong for him; then it is up to you to pull him out. Until then I would let him live his life, keep a close eye though. Do anything neccessary to perserve him.

Think of it this way: If you could do one thing to have your brother saved in Christ, would you do it? Even if it meant he would hate you for the rest of his life?

Meanwhile keep subtle pressur on him, in fact peer presure is best get all the others to put a little pressure on him too. This is the only advice I can give right now, I'm sure with a little more thought, I could think of something better.

19. JesusInFirstPlace

Thank you so much for the advice, Will. I just hate to see what he's doing with his life. Even though he's only 15, he could very well be making mistakes that will haunt him forever. I love him too much to just want to sit back and watch, but I can't very well just interfere-he has to make his own decisions... :(

Well, William Addison Rumbaugh IV, obviously a family name, I don't blame you for choosing a cool name like Jodo Kast (or Will for that matter!). I'm Rebecca Anne Scarborough I (jk), and it's a pleasure to meet your acquaintance! As far as CS is concerned, I guess video games do have some use in the real world-your quick reflexes saved you a bunch of damage on your car, right?!

Becca

20. Jodo Kast

Jodo Kast New Member

Well Ms. Rebecca Anne Scarborough I. I'd love to tell you it was my skill and reflexes, but...I have to hand that off to the one above us.

Well hmmm on second thought..... I mean, I could of had somethi......... yeah you are pretty much right. :D

Well I would'nt go that far; you are his sister. It's yalls job to interfere in brothers lives. lol

more seriously though, I don't know the situation fully, therefore I can't be much help. if you have more specific questions just ask me here or email or Aim.

Guten Nacht, Baptist Board
    Dienstag, september 8, 2004