1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Actors and actress who claim to be Christian

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by freeatlast, May 26, 2012.

1. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

The fact is that I never expect the world to change unless they have Christ. So I hardly have enough hours in a day to reach those around me. So why would so many so called Christians spend so much time being critical of a world without Christ especially when they are not making disciples. 70-80 percent of the churches in America are plagued by one or more antagonists and that has nothing to do with the world.

2. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    OFF TOPIC:

Don't be dissing my Duck Dynasty, now Fred. That's my show!! They are from my hometown.

And no, they don't curse. And yes, they end the show with a prayer each episode and yes, the producers of the show edit out the "in Jesus' Name" everytime to the aggrevation of the family - so says the son and CEO, Willie, in an interview in our local paper.

3. Steadfast Fred

Steadfast Fred Active Member

I ain't exactly 'dissing' them. I have enjoyed a few of their shows myself. One of my favorites was where Willie found a gator on Phil and Kay's property. Hilarious.

4. Steadfast Fred

Steadfast Fred Active Member

As to the editing out of "in Jesus' name" from their evening prayers, maybe Willie can find some Churches to sponsor him so that none of the prayer is edited out?

5. GodisGreat

GodisGreat New Member

Yes, that is very good point. We should also recognize that the audience, other actors, and family all understand that it is just acting. The Romans were big into acting as they adopted that entertainment from the Greeks. It was so common during the first century (time of the early church) it seems the writers of the New Testament would have mentioned if there was some problem with the art of acting. Just about any play will have romance, anger, fighting, or even murder portrayed and any of these would exclude Christians from participating. I suspect that the early Christians were wise enough to realize the difference between acting to tell a story and living.

I remember a similar debate about real Christians should not play football because the players are not being kind to one another and turning the other cheek. :BangHead: Wow, I just don't know quite what to say about that except there MUST be more important things in life to focus on.

#25 GodisGreat, May 26, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2012
  6. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I love anything with Uncle Si as the feature. LOL!! They really are a Christian family. When Phil asks his granddaughter if her boyfriend is a Godly man, he's serious. And when he tells his grandsons that they need to find a girl who carries her Bible, he's serious.

Phil preached not too long ago at a local Church of Christ here. Everyone wore camouflage to church. I wondered just how serious his preaching was as they were filming part of their show there, so I asked one of my students whom I knew attended that church. I said, "Ethan, I heard the Duck Commander preached at your church last Sunday and that everyone wore camouflage to church."

He said, "Yes, M'am, and I got my picture taken with him."

I said, "Well, that's nice, but what did he preach about?"

He said, "He talked about the resurrection of Jesus from the dead and how we need to be saved."

I thought to myself, well, as much as that day was a lot of hype - that sermon was good enough for me.

I know that most of that stuff is staged and a little exaggerated from their actual daily life, but it's just too funny.

7. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

I never thought about it too much before.

Now that I'm thinking about it, if my husband got a job where he had to kiss someone, whether he "meant it" or not, he'd no longer be my husband and if I did, I'd expect to no longer be his wife.

He's mine, I'm his, end of story if that changes. I'm a jealous person when it comes to my spouse. Rawr!

So is it actually wrong?

Now that I think about it, well DUH! Of course it is. Married people keep their paws on their spouse. That's it.

8. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

If he plants a kiss of passion on the person I would put in the catagory of sin.

9. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

All the more reason to guard the heart and what we get into.

10. DiamondLady

DiamondLady New Member

It was widely known and a well publicized fact, before the release of Fireproof, that Kirk Cameron refused to kiss anyone other than his wife and in the scenes in Fireproof where there was kissing his real life wife stepped in to the role.

I follow 1 rule when choosing movies and television shows to watch (even books to read)....would I watch this show/movie if Jesus was sitting in the chair next to me? If I can't answer with an absolute yes then I don't watch it.

Here's a great example...someone recommended the PBS show Downton Abbey as being truly excellent. Generally speaking we enjoy things from PBS so I rented the first disc from Netflix and we sat down to watch it. It wasn't bad....until a scene where one of the servants was the lover of one of the aristocracy and they kissed. Oh...guess I forgot to mention...they were both MEN! I clicked that remote off and ejected that DVD, threw it back in the envelope, sent it back and removed the rest of the series from my queue so fast it was a blur. The person who recommended the series...a Christian.

I weigh what I see and hear against what I believe God wants me to see and hear. It means I quite often don't watch the "popular" movies and shows, or read the most current bestsellers. However, I am at peace knowing if Jesus walked into my house today I would not stand before him in shame for the books on my bookshelf, the movies in my DVD player, or what is playing on my television.

11. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

I am not sure how you got any of that out of the OP or anything that has been stated to this point. It kind of reminds me of the person who hears that women should dress modestly and they respond with "I suppose you think they should all wear a burqa."
    Entertainment is one thing, but being unfaithful to acquire money is another. If it is wrong for your spouse to kiss another with passion just for fun, then it is doubly wrong to do it for pay.

12. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If a person thinks it is a sin, then to that person it is a sin would be the principle that is applicable to this thread.

HOWEVER, not everyone would agree with the premiss that it is wrong to kiss another with passion for pay.

Kissing booths have been around about as long as county fairs, and not a few have engaged in kissing long before marriage.

The point being that in areas such as this personal opinion does not a sin make of the situation.

Do I think it healthy on a relationship for an actor to kiss a non-spouse? No

Do I think it particularly edifying of the Christian character for an actor to kiss a non-spouse? No

Do I think it is a sin for an actor to kiss a non-spouse? No, but neither would I allow such if I were in charge of the world, and women and men would not go to swim in what passes for contemporary bathing suites, either.

13. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

So if a person thinks an open marriage is not a sin it is not a sin to them and not sin correct? Or if a person thinks it is alright to cheat on their taxes it is alright for them and not sin, correct?

14. DiamondLady

DiamondLady New Member

That is not at all what agedman said, Free. What he said is that personal opinion doesn't make it sin. Not everyone has the same level of understanding, or are at a place in their life where something is sin to them.

To me drinking alcohol in any form is sin. Smoking cigarettes or any tobacco use is sin. (although the tobacco does work effectively on bee stings). To walk on the beach in a skimpy bathing suit is sin...TO ME. Not everyone is at that place in their lives, as evidenced even here on the Baptist Board where many smoke and drink. God has convicted ME of these things, evidently not them.

I kiss other men all the time....not romantically, but in a family way...on the cheek...a Christian salute. My husband and I certainly don't have an "open" marriage but I have not been convicted by God that this is a wrong or sinful practice.

We must be careful not to judge the motives of others based upon our opinions.

15. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    REally?

I could have used it a few times!

Do you blow the smoke, rub out the cigaret, spit some chew or grab a big cigar to lite up and relax until the pain goes away?

I would assume you mean put a leaf on the sting?

I wonder if marijuana would work the same way?

16. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

So like I said,
    So if a person thinks an open marriage is not a sin it is not a sin to them and not sin correct? Or if a person thinks it is alright to cheat on their taxes it is alright for them and not sin, correct?

17. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    For someone (posting as you do) who holds to the "commandments" would you show were a man is in sin to have an "open marriage" and then compare that to the expressions of the OP?

Do the same with the taxes, please.

No doubt you will see that those items are specifically stated as sinful deeds, but the OP has no such joining in Scriptures.

If you determine something to be sin, then for you it is sin. However, Paul states twice that "all things are lawful, but not all things are expedient."

Paul certainly does not give license to sin, nor does he condone sin in that statement. For such a person would be one to take Paul's statement, "Let no man seek his own, but every man another's wealth" as meaning we can rightfully steal and rob the rich and poor alike.

18. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well said, DL - the whole post. :thumbs:

Somethings are blatant sins and others can be just an opinion. The best way to discern those things is to read the Word, listen to the Lord, and lastly - definitely lastly, but also a valid way - is to discuss and reason with other discerning Christians.

For example. An open marriage - where the husband and the wife are free to have relations with whomever they want whenever they want is obviously and concretely a sin.

However, kissing another man or woman in a play or as a benign greeting being a sin is only one's personal opinion and certainly does not constitute an open marriage.

19. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Then you have answered my question and it is yes based on your belief. if a person thinks an open marriage is not a sin it is not a sin to them and not sin. Or if a person thinks it is alright to cheat on their taxes it is alright for them and not sin.

20. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

There is a difference between acting and reality. Seems that they are doing a good job to fool people commenting on this topic.