1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Actors and actress who claim to be Christian

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by freeatlast, May 26, 2012.

1. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

Seems to me that I remember reading somewhere where someone said, "Abstain from ALL APPEARANCE of evil."

Oh yeah, it was God the Holy Spirit who said that!!! :thumbs: [I Thessalonians 5:21]

2. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you got that from what I posted, you are most incorrect.

You will not find such proof in my post, nor would anyone else except someone who desires to read into a post whatever they design irregardless of the truth.

Perhaps, you would be so kind as to specifically point to the exact phrase in which I made the answer to your question a positive?

Perhaps, in your zeal to claim ground in the thread, you are misreading, and as I have done and made an open apology for doing on a thread or two, assumed a view that is not characteristic with the post.

3. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

If that is not what you meant then answer what I asked.
    if a person thinks an open marriage is not a sin it is not a sin to them and not sin? Or if a person thinks it is alright to cheat on their taxes it is alright for them and not sin?

4. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

:thumbs::thumbs:

5. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here, freeatlast.

I have placed both quotes without editing, that you might see more clearly that I stated, "No doubt you will see that those items are specifically stated as sinful deeds, but the OP has no such joining in Scriptures."

Meaning that those sins in which you asked ARE specific to the Scriptures as actual sin, but that the OP has no such foundation in Scriptures.

6. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Could you define that in terms of every day application for everyone?

7. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

It is hard to relate this thread at all to everyday life or average people. People who make a living of being the center of attention basically contribute nothing to society, Christian or non Christian. As said before, the only way I can relate to a Hollywood star is the off switch.

8. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yep, along with "great everyone with a holy kiss" which is in that same closing remarks of Paul in his letter.

I have yet to understand how anyone would want someone else kissing their beloved - even on the cheek. Paul and I would have a bit of a culture shock experience had he tried anything like that with My Bride.

Someone merely blowing a kiss toward my beloved would be a problem.

You wouldn't think of me as possessive and aggressively so. :)

9. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I used to struggle with a lot of things that I do not any more. For example I used to struggle with building for the rich but then I thought about the skills I have and how God has provided I became glad that I could give the rich pleasure by the work I did and give my money to the church. Otherwise it might have ended in the hands of someone else. It has given me many opportunities to share my faith in arenas that few have the opportunity. Among some of the rich I have seen generosity and among some of the poorer I have seen greed. All of the things scripture talks about is not limited to a particular class of people.

Today I feel blessed that God opens doors for me.

My skills allow me to work for the rich and also to do work for little or nothing for those who have need. It allows me to do the same kind of level of work for organizations such as churches who need help.

10. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

I have always had a problem relating to the rich, those that thought they were rich, and those seeking to be the center of attention. Working with and mingling with average, everyday folks makes me feel more comfortable. I guess it really does not have so much to do with wealth, but those that take for themselves and never give.

I understand your reasoning, and it is definitely something that needs work on in my life.

11. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I find there is a difference between the rich who worked for wealth and those who were given it by their parents. Some of the rich I know live far from what they could. If I took you to some of their homes you would probably walk away feeling humbled. I know one who makes around $45 million each year and lives in a home that has a 2 car garage and his family drives a Camry and Jeep. He and his wife have adopted a young boy who has special needs. He is one of the nicest and most polite men I have ever met. A friend of mine and I built his family a very nice home but his dining table is one he built in high school. If I told you about the company he runs you would easily know who I am talking about. Every time he came to the job he remembered the names of the workers and thanked them for what they did.

When my family wanted to see the finished home I gave him a call and he gave them the VIP tour. I know that he grew up in a home that was average.

I know another man who sold one of his businesses for $630 million and he now lives in a manufactured home simply because he is using his money to help people who are in need. He completely finances an organization that helps pregnant women in a large city. He finances a camp that kids can attend who have very little. I know people he has helped get started in business so they can make a good living.

12. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Thank you for sharing that. There are good people at every income level, and bad.

13. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    These are good testimonies.

It isn't wealth that is the problem, it is the love of wealth.

14. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

"Holy Kiss"

"Greet all the brethren with an holy kiss" --- I Thessalonians 5:26

The idea of "an holy kiss" has come up in some of the posts on this thread.

I'm sure a lot of us have many different ideas concerning what Paul wrote here and how we are to interpret his words.

This is my take on it:

In the culture of the time and place of the Thessalonians to which Paul wrote, the words "holy kiss" probably meant nothing more than what we'd mean by a friendly handshake. There are still some cultures today where a slight peck on the cheek (sometimes both cheeks) is simply a gesture of greeting. Nothing romantic or erotic is meant by it at all.

Some folks would go so far as to say that Paul's use of the word "brethren" would infer that this "holy kiss" was only to be given amongst those of the same gender, i.e., not between men and women.

When I moved from suburban Philadelphia PA to middle TN in 1972, there were a few minor cultural differences I had to get used to. EXAMPLES: Whereas I grew up knowing what Shoo-Fly Pie and Funny Cake tasted like, I'd never heard of Chess Pie or of Sweet Milk. "Chess" was a game you played with pawns and kings and knights. "Sweet" Milk wasn't any more sugary than white milk. And "y'all" sounded to me like "yaw," which meant to me the movement of a boat or plane that was controlled by a rudder.

If Paul were writing that verse to 21st century Christians in our western culture, I think he would have been moved by the Holy Spirit to use a different term than "kiss."

That's my story, and I'm sticking with it! :thumbs:

15. DiamondLady

DiamondLady New Member

You take a bit of the tobacco and wet it, apply it to the sting and loosly cover it (so it stays in place). It draws out the stinger and the poison. Have no idea about Mary Jane, tho. Never had any around to try...sorry.

16. DiamondLady

DiamondLady New Member

I apologize for the delay in answering. I was not avoiding your question, I had a ladies conference at church last evening and was busy.

There is a HUGE difference in the two things you have here. God created marriage, He never created an OPEN marriage. That's man's creation. (although why one would marry who wanted an open marriage is beyond me...but that's neither here nor there) There's a difference between a Hollywood screen kiss and an open marriage. Open marriage is sin, period. I don't think you'd find many Christians who would disagree on that point and if they did I'd think they'd need to examine themselves.

Cheating is something I believe God deals with a person individually on. I see this a lot with games available to play online....Words With Friends is a great example. I play with a cousin and she comes up with words I've never heard of. I found out she uses a "cheat" program (one that helps her find words with the most points, placed strategically on the game board) I have a wonderful vocabulary, or at least I thought I did until I began playing this game with her. Is she cheating? If I use the cheat program am I cheating or leveling the playing field?

You see, I can "justify" using the program by saying I'm simply making it equal. Or if I feel the Holy Spirit nudging at my heart I realize , "no, it's cheating and I should not be doing it." I believe it's the same with taxes.

There are many Christians who take deductions they should not, or underreport their income. Preachers who choose not to pay self-employment taxes. (are government loop-holes cheating?) Churches who do not provide 1099's to missionaries or custodians. Churches who photocopy music for the choir but do not belong to CCLI to pay royalties. Employees who "borrow" at stamp from their desk, or take home a row of staples or a pad of sticky notes because they're out at home.

Are any of these sin? Sure...all of them are. But I also know that until GOD convicts each of these people of their sin they don't realize it IS sin. Until then, because I realize in my life it's all sin, it is sin for me and opinion of sin to them. You see, I allow that people grow in God at different rates of speed. I understand that God works on each person in different ways at different times. What God has revealed to you, to me, or to Agedman as sin He may not have revealed to someone else as sin...so at that point, in their life, is it sin? I don't believe so. To GOD it's sin, but to them...they have not yet had that epiphany. You can't turn away from what you don't know.

17. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Indeed.

Proverbs 4:23 Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life.​

HankD​

18. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Does this mean that we should NOT have ANY Christian movies made, unless they are all husband and wife in each role? No 10 Commandments, Jesus of Nazareth, Passion of christ etc?

Just hope that I am NOT the one to deliver message to chuck norris that he is a "fake' christian!

19. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No.
    That is a wise decision.

You need to read the O/P again.

HankD

20. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

My answer to the op would be another question:

Why are we questioning someone else's salvation? Only God knows the heart and they will have to stand before God just as we will. So what's the problem? We don't like what they do? Change the channel or turn it off. We don't like the attention they bring to themselves and/or to Christ? Do we have to? For that matter I don't like a lot of what I read right hear on the BB. Should I rant and rave about how you only "claim" to be a Christian, but your fruit doesn't match mine so you should change YOUR ways (cause obviously *I* am the perfect one).

I think this whole discussion borders on "vain discourse". Including my own comments.