1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Actors and actress who claim to be Christian

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by freeatlast, May 26, 2012.

1. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think I would agree that some subjects here at the BB could be categorized as frivolous but I believe there is value to the O/P which would come under the heading of "situational ethics" which captivated the attention of the church a few years ago.

The present situational example given being a christian actor playing the part of giving/receiving a passionate kiss from another actor not his/her spouse.

I would say that the physical act of such is what makes it wrong (at least for me).

Though I am a Christian I know if I held a woman (not my wife) close in a physical embrace (though it were play acting) I am pretty sure that there would be a definite conflict between flesh and spirit (not to mention my wife's reaction).

There are other situations which could be included.

Did someone really "rant and rave" about this and/or question someone's salvation or just the impropriety of certain situations when acting?

Thanks
    HankD

2. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

Rant and rave is simply a figure of speech Hank, not exclusive to this thread. :D Lots o ranting and raving on the BB.

It's up to the individual actors to decide if they can withstand the physical contact of their job. I'm not going to project my weaknesses onto them. Honestly, I figure to them, one set of lips is pretty much the same as any other. They have built up a resistance to such, that we the general public don't have. Lips might touch, but that doesn't imply chemistry. It's called acting for a reason.

But if you don't like it, don't watch or support it! (well to the best of your ability. You might find yourself supporting it when you buy that box of frosted flakes at the grocery store!)

3. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You're correct.
    That's why I mentioned "situational ethics" and all of the "what if"s that are involved with that debate. Such things can easily turn into a BB rabbit hole chase.

And yes, the question of my own hypocrisy crossed my mind as I have no problem with watching these things (until it becomes more than an embrace).

HankD

4. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

I hate the term "situational ethics" because it is so often used to excuse legalism. Of course we human make decisions based on the situation we find ourselves in. It's nice that we Christians have a foundation to base those decisions on, but that doesn't mean we don't EACH have to make a decision based in part on where we find ourselves.

I can walk into Walmart with my friend and we can try on identical dresses and she might be able to modestly wear said dress where the same dress would make me look umm, trashy. Why? Different body types.

Or, I can be walking down the street and see a house on fire and suspect people are inside. The Biblical precept is that I give my life for a friend, yet I still have to make the decision, do I go in or do I call 911 and stand and watch? Am I going to do the victims any good if I do go in? (remembering I'm full of arthritis and have limited strength and stamina) Will opening a door or window to get in only fuel the fire hotter thus killing the people inside even faster?

Decisions have to be made according to the situation. To say that one set of rules fits all, is very short sighted in my humble opinion. There is always a "what if" that doesn't fit.