1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Acts 13:42-14:20

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Rippon, Nov 9, 2008.

1. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We had our regular Sunday afternoon participatory Bible Study at 1:30 today.These studies are in English only but a number of Koreans attend who know the language enough to follow along.This service is not to be confused with the sermon during the worship time earlier from 11:00-1PM.

Mr."M" was the speaker.I have known him for almost nine years.He has a BJU background.Today he decided to deal with an unusually long swath of Scripture, Acts 13:42-14:20.Periodically he asked if people had any questions.He had covered Acts 13:48a and said :"Does anyone have a problem with that?" I piped up and said "They might have some problems with the second part of the verse." He chuckled and proceeded to read the rest of the verse.He was using the NKJ but I'll quote from TNIV since it's handy:..."and all who were appointed for eternal life believed." Several questions were being raised before he even had time to explain the meaning.He said that he would not try to be a Calvinist nor an Arminian as he sought to explain the text.Mr."M" said basically everyone is responsible for their sins -- that's one side of things --and that God is fully responsible for anyone coming to a saving knowledge of Himself --the Lord Himself is the One who draws a given individual --the appointment or ordination was decreed in eternity past and because of that people are saved -- they have no enablement to come to Him on their own.Mr."M" didn't cite other passages related to the text.He barely had time to deal with the questions for that passage alone.Several folks came up to him afterwards and tried to follow up with more questions.

Among other things that showed me that there are many true believers who have been raised on God's Word yet mysteriously have overlooked what was right before their eyes all along.That was my case.It was about 20 years after coming to a saving knowledge of the Lord Jesus Christ that I came to understand these so-called "grace passages".I should say the Lord caused me to understand.He illuminated my eyes.

I overheard one lady after the message tell the speaker:"But I've always thought that the Lord foresees who would believe and then..." He told her:"Yeah,that's what most Christians believe.But the Bible tells us differently."

Mr."M" did get through those other verses and raised some good points -- but for most of those listening Acts 13:48 took on a prominence and depth of significance that was missing in their lives before.

2. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

It's so interesting to me, who came to the Lord as a child in the 70s, to begin to understand all of this stuff too. The first time I heard it, it fit so well with what I've read but it was still hard to put away the ideas that I had before. It made me study even more and eventually come to the conclusion that it's all about grace. Our pastor preached through Romans and he eventually hit Romans 9 and he said in the message before something along the lines of "Next week, we're going to deal with an issue that some have heard, some have argued and others will be rocked by. But I'm preaching through the Scriptures and it's a topic that is there. Stay tuned!" :) I do think Spurgeon has a point that both sides of the C vs. A argument have valid points and what is really truth might actually have both involved and we'll never fully understand God's grace and man's choice until we are with Him face-to-face.

That's really neat about the teaching and people's response.