1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Acts 17:26-27

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Jarlaxle, Jan 31, 2003.

1. Jarlaxle

Jarlaxle New Member

I never said you had to respond, in fact, I have been trying to convince you that you have the freedom to do either!

2. sturgman

sturgman New Member

Proverbs 9:7-8

"He who corrects scoffer get dishonor for himself,
    And he who reproves a wicked man gets insults for himself.
    Do not reprove a fool, or he will hate you.
    Give instruction to a wise man and he will love you."

[​IMG] I am done.

3. Jarlaxle

Jarlaxle New Member

Matthew 5:22
    But I tell you that anyone who is angry with his brother[ 5:22 Some manuscripts brother without cause] will be subject to judgment. Again, anyone who says to his brother, 'Raca, ' is answerable to the Sanhedrin. But anyone who says, 'You fool!' will be in danger of the fire of hell.
    [​IMG]

4. sturgman

sturgman New Member

How can you quote some scripture but not the whole?

So how does this apply to me Jar? I am not angry with you. I simply cannot argue logic that is not based upon anything by human opinion. So why continue to argue with someone who refuses to show proof of scripture and does tricks to refute the proof of scripture I give?

Thanks, In love,
    Your brother

5. Jarlaxle

Jarlaxle New Member

I guess you didn't have the free will essential to stay by your word and be done? Only you can tell me if the verse applies to you, for only you can say whether or not you are calling me a fool or not.

What have I said that needs scripture back up? (Not saying that nothing does, just let me know which part you want me to back up that you don't agree with)

Tricks? What tricks? Honestly confused here. :confused:

6. npetreley

npetreley New Member

I asked you to support your position, and your response is to tell me the burden is upon me to prove it wrong? IMO that is not only an incorrect debating tactic, it is rude. But I'll be glad to comply, regardless.

To paraphrase, if it is so hard for a rich man to "decide" to enter the kingdom of heaven, then who can be saved? Answer: With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.

Philippians 1:29
    Ephesians 2:8

Here's great one:

Okay, I've established not only that salvation is not by man's will, Jesus says it is not even possible by man's will.

Now it's your turn. Show me the scripture that says we choose Jesus of our own free will. And then show me the scripture that proves that if we do not have free will, the result must be determinism.

I look forward to the deafening silence. Good luck!

7. Jarlaxle

Jarlaxle New Member

Npetreley, where have you shown that we do not have free will? You beg the question that God does not reveal Himself to all men. But God does reveal Himself to all men:

Romans 1:20
    For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities--his eternal power and divine nature--have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse.

Without God’s revelation it is impossible for anyone to be saved whether he is rich or poor, it makes no difference.

Indeed, it is not possible by man’s will to do anything alone. It is not until God does all the work so that man can either accept that work as a free gift, or reject it.

Was the rich man damned to hell? If so, where does it say so?

Was Pharaoh damned to hell? If so, where does it say so?

Was Esau damned to hell? If so, where does it say so?

You seem to be implying that Romans 9 is telling us that God has chosen from some to go to Heaven and some to go to Hell. But I do not see any verse that says such a thing. I see where God has brought Pharaoh up in riches and power, allowing his magicians to cast spells which in effect reinforcing Pharaoh’s ego in that Pharaoh thought of himself as the reason he had power, and who therefore was anyone to try and take that power away? God brought him up in this way so that God could tear him down in order to display God’s power to all; verse 17.

Joshua 24:15
    But if serving the LORD seems undesirable to you, then choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve, whether the gods your forefathers served beyond the River, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land you are living. But as for me and my household, we will serve the LORD ."

This is simple reasoning. Either we have free will or we do not have free will. Determinism is simply the term for “not free will.”

8. sturgman

sturgman New Member

1 - You quote Romans 9, read further. "What if God, with great patience chose to create objects of wrath, prepared for destruction, and He did so, to show the objects of his affection His great mercy.

2 - Joshua 24 is speaking to the children of Israel. It is the some type of situation in Revelation 3. Can God's people act like hethens? Yes for a while. Can sinners seek God? No. If you say that is not true you say Joshua 24 and Romans 3 contradict each other.

3 - Your simple reasoning is not so simple, it is taking a giant leap with nothing to support it. Having no free will does not mean you have no will at all.

9. Jarlaxle

Jarlaxle New Member

And God did just that in destroying Pharaoh’s kingdom. Where does it say Pharaoh went to Hell? You tell me that I make “great leaps” and here that seems to be what you are doing.

This is all I will be able to post today, and may not be back until Monday. Thanks for your opinions on interpreting scripture.

10. Yelsew

Yelsew Guest

It is impossible for a rich man to buy his way into heaven is the scriptural implication. Buying is what a rich man does to get what a rich man wants. Heaven is not for sale for man does not own the gold, but merely accumulates and uses it. Human "riches" do not leave this earth.

The ones who enter heaven are the ones who believe in the name of Jesus. The rich have difficulty believing in the name because they can buy to satisfy needs, or wants.

11. Ray Berrian

Ray Berrian New Member

Sturgman,

You said on January 31st---at 12:04 p.m. that the Bible makes this statement. ' . . . it says that men would seek Him.' I thought a Calvinist believed that human beings could not approach unto God and that He has to "Effectually Call" a person in order to get the nod for the path to Heaven.

12. sturgman

sturgman New Member

I don't remember saying that except that in context that men only seek after God once they are regerated. That is what we call sanctification.

13. Ray Berrian

Ray Berrian New Member

Haply in Acts 17:27 means, consequently, as a result, therefore, or then. {The Greek word 'ara' according to Dr. Strong's Concordance can mean, 'no doubt, perhaps, therefore, truly or wherefore--as these words make sense in the verse.

We might say it this way. 'That they should seek after the Lord, and as a result they might feel after Him, and find Him, though He be not far from everyone of us.' The 'every one of us' in Pennsylvania is an all-inclusive word rather than an exclusive one.

14. sturgman

sturgman New Member

All that relys on mans ability to seek after God, and this is not possible according to Romans 3.

15. Yelsew

Yelsew Guest

Let me see now, "Sanctification is the seeking after God". The Mormons seek after god too! Would they be completely sanctified if they became God? Would we have to become gods to be completely sanctified?

Why can't you accept that your belief in Jesus sanctifies you? It is your belief, after all is said and done, that sets you apart from the unbelievers. The meaning of Sanctify is "to set apart, to distinguish by placement or position", you were among the unbelievers, now you are among the believers, sanctified.

16. Yelsew

Yelsew Guest

So an unregenerate person cannot seek after God? Nah, that doesn't compute. An unregenerate man cannot do the whole will of God perhaps, but truly an unregerate can in fact seek salvation from what torments by calling upon the name of the Lord.

In combat, many unregererate men call upon the name of the Lord, and many find him in their foxholes right beside them. If you've never been in war, you truly have missed the experience of a life time. There, you see very strong full grown men weeping in fear seeking forgiveness of sins, making promises to God, facing their own mortality, seeking the unseen God, who is right beside them on both sides of the front line, to save their wicked souls and regenerate them. The regeneration comes when one says, "I believe in Jesus, the Son of God, the Messiah". NOT BEFORE, because before man confesses Jesus man is unregenerate.

17. sturgman

sturgman New Member

Yelsew, How do you deal with Romans 3:10-11 where it says that "There is none righteous, not even one.There is no one who understands, There is no one that seeks for God."

I know it is only scripture, but try to explain how you deal with it.

18. Yelsew

Yelsew Guest

We have already indicted the Jews and Greeks of whom scriptures tell us not a single one of them is wise and no one seeks God. The Jews and Greeks, Paul writes to Romans

19. sturgman

sturgman New Member

So you do agree that the text tells us that men cannot seek God. And if you try to say that this is written about the jews and greeks of that time, then you might want to take note that this isn't Pauls words, they are out of the Psalms.

And if you agree that the text says there is no one who seeks God, then how can man seek God if he is incapable to do so?

That is fatalism for God to leave seeking him up to a people who is incapable to seek after him.

20. Yelsew

Yelsew Guest

Then why do you insist on misquoting that Psalmic scripture which says,
    How is it that there are "the upright" vs 5, if all are corrupt and vile, and none do right. if all have turned sour, where do the upright come from? These quoted scriptures do not state that man in his most evil state cannot seek God, it says that they do not seek God. That is quite a difference as it seems that man does have the ability to seek God but simply does not.

I do not agree with you, because you have taken scripture out of context to prove your point, and in context the scripture contradicts your point!

Thank God he did not leave man incapable of seeking him, and shame on man for not of his own free will seeking God.

Now if you use Romans 3 one more time to state that man is not capable you will be telling a lie!....according to scriptures that is!