1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Acts 7:45

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by MISSIONARY, Mar 12, 2007.

1. MISSIONARY

MISSIONARY New Member

In some KJV Bibles the word Jesus is used and in others Joshua. I understand these both mean the same thing. My question is why don't all KJV's use the same word?

2. dwmoeller1

dwmoeller1 New Member

I am not aware that any KJVs differ in this. From what I understand, all KJVs render it 'Jesus' while all modern translations (including the NKJV) render it as 'Joshua'. Can you given more specifics?

3. Grasshopper

Grasshopper Active Member
    Site Supporter

(KJV) Which also our fathers that came after brought in with Jesus into the possession of the Gentiles, whom God drave out before the face of our fathers, unto the days of David;

(KJV-1611)
    Which also our fathers that came after, brought in with Iesus into the possession of the Gentiles, whom God draue out before the face of our fathers, vnto the dayes of Dauid,

(MKJV)
    Which also having received it by inheritance with Joshua, our fathers, with Joshua, in taking possession of the nations whom God drove out before the face of our fathers until the days of David,

Albert Barnes:
    With Jesus - This should have been rendered "with Joshua." Jesus is the Greek mode of writing the name "Joshua." But the Hebrew name should by all means have been retained here, as also in Heb_4:8.

John Gill:

when they entered into it with Joshua their leader, and captain, at the head of them; who is here called Jesus, as he is in Heb_4:8 for Joshua and Jesus are the same name, and signify a saviour; for such an one Joshua was to the people of Israel; and was an eminent type of Jesus Christ, the captain of our salvation, in his bringing many sons to glory:

4. MISSIONARY

MISSIONARY New Member

I have the authrized kjv and it says Jesus, one of my students Bible is KJV although it is a PTL Bible, but also I use E-Sword and the KJV in E-Sword uses the name Joshua. All these claiming to be KJV

:godisgood:

5. dwmoeller1

dwmoeller1 New Member

Simple answer to your intial question:

The MKJV is not the KJV. Thus the difference. Green decided to take the route all other modern translations did in this verse and translate it as Joshua instead of Jesus.

The reason: Context makes it clear that the OT Joshua and not the NT Jesus is being spoken of here.

Whooops this was in reply to Grasshoppers post.

6. dwmoeller1

dwmoeller1 New Member

The KJV 1611 definitely rendered it as "Jesus".

As to why those other two source which claim to be KJV render it as "Joshua" I am not sure. Most likely its some editing that went into the text - either intentional or unintentional.

Its not really a big deal since "Joshua" is clearly the correct English name to use.

Curious, is the same inconsistency true for Heb 4:8?

7. MISSIONARY

MISSIONARY New Member

E-Sword KJV renders it Joshua and my authorized KJV renders it Jesus.

I understand they both mean the same. What seems odd to me is that all KJV's should be the same.

8. dwmoeller1

dwmoeller1 New Member

Interesting. Sounds like a question for the company that puts out E-Sword. They may have decided to edit the parts which many consider to be clear mistakes.

9. MISSIONARY

MISSIONARY New Member

E-Sword has MKJV available and KJV, I have the KJV and it says Joshua while my personal study Bible which is called not just KJV but the Autorized KJV, could this mean there are unautorized versions using the KJV name?

10. MISSIONARY

MISSIONARY New Member

I have emailed Rick Meyers at E-Sword to see why my KJV and His are not the same. Will let you know what he says:godisgood:

11. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

I have never had a KJ that used anything other than Jesus. If the name Joshua is used, it must be referring to someone else.

12. Grasshopper

Grasshopper Active Member
    Site Supporter

I use e-sword as well and my KJV reads:

Act 7:45 Which also our fathers that came after brought in with Jesus into the possession of the Gentiles, whom God drave out before the face of our fathers, unto the days of David;

However when you use the KJV+ it reads:

Act 7:45 Which3739 also2532 our2257 fathers3962 that came after1237 brought in1521 with3326 Joshua2424 into1722 the3588 possession2697 of the3588 Gentiles,1484 whom3739 God2316 drove out1856 before575 the face4383 of our2257 fathers,3962 unto2193 the3588 days2250 of David;1138

G2424
    Ἰησοῦς
    Iēsous
    Thayer Definition:
    Jesus = "Jehovah is salvation"
    1) Jesus, the Son of God, the Saviour of mankind, God incarnate
    2) Jesus Barabbas was the captive robber whom the Jews begged Pilate to release instead of Christ
    3) Joshua was the famous captain of the Israelites, Moses’ successor (
    Act_7:45, Heb_4:8)
    4) Jesus, son of Eliezer, one of the ancestors of Christ (
    Luk_3:29)
    5) Jesus, surnamed Justus, a Jewish Christian, an associate with Paul in the preaching of the gospel (
    Col_4:11)

G2424
    Ἰησοῦς
    Iēsous
    ee-ay-sooce'
    Of Hebrew origin [H3091]; Jesus (that is, Jehoshua), the name of our Lord and two (three) other Israelites: - Jesus.

13. MISSIONARY

MISSIONARY New Member

acts 7

In E Sword there are at least three options for KJV: KJV, KJV+ AND KJVR

According to Rick Meyers, the KJV+ (with concordance) and the KJVR (red letter edition) are the 1850 edition (Joshua) while the KJV is the 1769 (Jesus)

Just a revision with not doctrinal implications.

Missionary