1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Acts 8:37 and the Greek manuscript evidence

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by jonathan.borland, May 30, 2013.

1. jonathan.borland

jonathan.borland Active Member

In another threat, DrJamesAch posted a link to what appears to be a King James Version Only website.

This is an outstanding claim, especially since all Greek manuscripts have been collated at this place (Acts 8:37). Contrary to the statement in the link above, the results show that 86.5% (417) of the Greek manuscripts do not have the verse. And although 13.5% (65) have something at that place, there are 10 different variations (see below). Can you guess which underlies the KJV? (Hint: it is only 1% of all Greek manuscripts!)

(1) And he said to him, "If you believe with your whole heart, you may." And he answered and said, "I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God." (44 manuscripts)

(2) And Philip said to him, "If you believe with your whole heart, you may." And he answered and said, "I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God." (5 manuscripts)

(3) And Philip said to him, "If you believe with your whole heart, you will be saved." And he answered and said, "I believe in the Christ, the Son of God." (2 manuscripts)

(4) And he said to him, "If you believe with your whole heart, you may." And the eunuch said to him, "I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God." (4 manuscripts)

(5) And Philip said, "If you believe with your whole heart." And the eunuch answered him, "I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God." (1 manuscript)

(6) And he said, "If you believe, you may." And he answered and said, "I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God." (1 manuscript)

(7) And Philip said, "If you believe, you may." And he answered and said, "I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God." (4 manuscripts)

(8) And Philip said, "If you believe, you may." And the eunuch answered and said to him, "I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God." (1 manuscript)

(9) "If you believe with your whole heart, you may." And he answered and said, "I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God." (2 manuscripts)

(10) And he said to him, "If you believe with your whole heart, you may." (1 manuscript)

2. Eliyahu

Eliyahu Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

This is a very useful analysis, thanks.

This relates to 1) Baptismal Regeneration, 2) Infant Baptism, which might be the reason why it disappeared in many mss.
    3) Another lesson given by the passage is the Believers Baptism by Total Immersion, 4) then it proves KJV is based on the best manuscripts.

5) Eunuch in this passage in contested by Aramaic Primacy-ists as Eunuch couldn't worship in the temple according to Deut 23:1
    He may be simply translated as a minister.

6) Philip was not a pastor or any clergy but he baptised, which rejects the clergy system as well.

Infant Baptism meant the Unbelievers' baptism bringing billions of unbelievers into the Christendom.

#2 Eliyahu, May 30, 2013
    Last edited: May 30, 2013
  3. Oldtimer

Oldtimer New Member

Thread Title: Acts 8:37 and the Greek manuscript evidence

From Link Given:
    Is the evidence referring to "Greek manuscripts" or to something else?

"In another threat, DrJamesAch posted a link to what appears to be a King James Version Only website. "

Actually it is this:
    Are they KJVO, KJVP, or some combination with modern versions. Someone far better versed in the Church of Christ than myself can shed light on this.