1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Actual differences in King James Versions

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Phillip, Oct 18, 2004.

1. manchester

manchester New Member

The KJV says that Jesus is lower than the angels. The RSV says that Jesus is God and higher than the angels, though he was made lower for a little while.

2. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Exactly.

HankD

3. RaptureReady

RaptureReady New Member

The KJV says that Jesus is lower than the angels. The RSV says that Jesus is God and higher than the angels, though he was made lower for a little while.

They both say that he was made lower than the angels. Though the RSV say "for a little while" it is implied from the KJB because it is for the suffering of death, which was for a little while, actually 3 days worth.

4. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually in most repects His "kenosis" was for His entire earthly mortal life as a man.

This is how and why He could say "...for my Father is greater than I" and then ask His Father: "... And now, O Father, glorify thou me with thine own self with the glory which I had with thee before the world was". Here we see His anticipation of returning to that glory (that He had put aside for "a little while").

I have no quarrel with you saying "it is implied from the KJB" RR. But will you allow me the same rationalization to say the same about and the NIV omission of firstborn in Matthew 1:25 because it is implied in Matthew 1:23 of the NIV or does this only work for the NIV omissions and not the for KJV omissions?

HankD

5. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As you have been shown, the NIV does not omit the doctrine of the virgin birth- far from it.

Do you really want to use your line of argument here as the standard? Are you really willing to be consistent about it even if we are dealing with the text of the KJV?

I don't think you are. The same methods of argument you have used to defend the KJV are the ones being used to defend the NIV.

The problem is that you are using a double standard in direct violation of scripture.