1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Additional Reasons People Leave The Church.

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Stegley, Jan 7, 2014.

1. Stegley

Stegley New Member

1.) The Preacher speaks nonstop rhetoric devices for the purpose of convincing his listeners they really need to return next week in order to be spiritually fed, rather that feeding themselves from God's Word. These rhetoric devices can be categorized as:
    A.) Relating to the venue management through staging, audio and video systems, decor, effective programming, advertising, seasonal appeal, specialty supports such as music and prayer teams, family oriented conveniences, and dress codes.
    B.) Relating to the selective use of Scripture to emphasize particular ideologies, practices, traditions, cultural expectations, desires of certain demographic groups, church agenda, political orientation, and emotional needs of the membership.
    C.) Relating to the personal reputation, credibility, authentication, acceptability, and future career of the Preacher.

2.) The Preacher spends 40 minutes per sermon telling people what they should be doing for God, yet he never materially demonstrates it for them to see. He has a different standard for himself.

3.) The naivity and tunnel vision of the illinformed people there.

4.) The nosey questions asked to visitors by busy body women and ushers.

5.) The nonstop use of Preacherese by the Preacher.

6.) The mixture of personal ideas, personal ambitions, personal feelings, personal biases, personal stupidity, and personal problems with the Pure Word of God by the Preacher, calling the resultant mixture "The Word of God," or "A Message From God For Today."

7.) The rude one way communication which occurs during the sermon where no pewsitters are allowed to ask questions, make contributions, make corrections of stupid statements, or require the Preacher to be accountable for all he says.

8.) The condescending, presumptuous, and patronizing attitude of Professional Church Talkers and the Church People.

9.) The Preacher thinks it is a good idea to spout prechewed, partially digested, and regurgitated spiritual food to the congregation, as if it is his responsibility to run a spiritual welfare soup kitchen.

10.) The Preacher is either too weak or is too dimwitted to address the really difficult issues of the day, instead speaking churchy sounding, milque toast aphorisms.

#1 Stegley, Jan 7, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2014
  2. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Me thinks someone is a bit bitter......

3. Stegley

Stegley New Member

[Post in non-Baptist forums please]

#3 Stegley, Jan 8, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2014
  4. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Like women do"? That's offensive.

5. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  6. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Stegly, I thought Ann's observation was very astute. I thought the same thing that she did last night when I read your OP.

You don't know Ann. She wasn't attacking you. She just made an observation based on the written hostility against churches in your OP. I personally think you are trolling as evidenced by your #4 coupled with your response to Ann and you refusal to discuss anything with anyone in your previous thread.

I'm sorry if you have had a bad experience with a church or churches. Troll or not, I am praying for you today.

#6 Scarlett O., Jan 8, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2014
  7. Stegley

Stegley New Member

Do women compulsively talk about other people, and like to gossip? Do you ever briefly watch "The View," or "Oprah?"

That is what is offensive. Lol.

8. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

And you believe I do that?

9. Stegley

Stegley New Member

Lol. Do not feed Professional Church Speculators! Force them to get a real job like Paul did!

10. Stegley

Stegley New Member

Your immediate response here was to speak of myself, rather than the material in the Thread.

11. Stegley

Stegley New Member

Yes, I agree you are only sharing your personal thoughts, as women compulsively do on all matters. I.e., "I thought the same thing," as if your thoughts are some sort of a reference point.

Now, can you tell me, without referencing how you "feel," just exactly how my opening post was "hostile?" Remember, I spoke no threats or violence, and did not say what I described about Churches was bad or sinful. Try for once to answer a question like this not in terms of how "things seem." Jesus never spoke about how "things seem."

Okay? I am praying for you too!

12. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And you think this catering to the attendees wants drives people AWAY from church?

Yes, this could be a problem. Have you been to many churches where you have personally witnessed this? It would seem to me it would take months to make a determination.

Yes, this could be a problem. Have you been to many churches where you have personally witnessed this? It would seem to me it would take months to make a determination.

Seems to me that if the nosey questions got answered people would keep coming back with more questions. Then again, if your assertion in #3 is true, that people are ill informed and have tunnel vision, then gossiping wouldn't be a problem, now would it?

I'm not understanding the terminology, "Preacherese"? Could you give some examples, or link to a YouTube video so I can understand what you are saying?

So the deliverer of the sermon is not supposed to have a personality? Some might say that personal ideas, personal feelings could be leadings of the Holy Spirit. Proverbs 16:9 A man’s heart plans his way, But the Lord directs his steps.

Interaction with the preacher can occur during Sunday School, small groups, personal meetings, etc. Doesn't need to happen during the message. Besides,

1 Cor 14:34 Let your women keep silent in the churches, for they are not permitted to speak;

I'm seeing that attitude in the OP.

13. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

You don't believe that pastors have a 'real job'?

14. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yea his post resembles the rebellious house church movement.

15. Stegley

Stegley New Member

What do pastors do besides verbate?

1 Corinthinas 4:20, "The kingdom of God is not in word, but in power."

James 1:27. "Faith without works is dead."

Jesus and The Apostles materially demonstrated, or gave irrefutable evidence, for all they spoke of and taught. Jesus never spoke churchy sounding aphorisms. Jesus never pontificated upon any given topic for 40 minutes, speaking the entire contents of His "heart" to sell The Gospel to his listeners. Jesus never gave sales pitches. Jesus never "invited" people to follow Him, or plead for their involvement with Him. Jesus never spoke if anyone needing to "invite Him into their heart," or to "make a decision for Christ." Jesus most often spoke and acted in the public arena, easily making a definitive representation of The Kingdom of God to unreceptive, at times hostile, and uninformed masses of people. Jesus did not retreat into cozy and sympathetic church venues.

Do you follow Him, or just think about Him and talk about Him?

16. Stegley

Stegley New Member

Your words accurately represent all The Church does and has become.

17. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I guess you don't know any pastor then. Maybe you haven't actually been to church? My husband is a pastor. Trust me - he does more than "verbate".

18. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Stegley, your profile lists your denomination as "Friends" which I would assume is Quaker. If that's the case, you should know it's against the rules here for a non-Baptist to post in the Baptist only areas. There is another forum for other denominations and other areas of fellowship that are not Baptist only.

19. Stegley

Stegley New Member

Why stop at that point in your answer? Is something or someone preventing you from saying exactly what your husband materially does, and how your husband is supposedly representative of all other pastors?

It's the old, "Well, I personally know someone who ..." Lol.

Do, are you able here with my question now to obey Jesus' Command, "Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good words." Remember, Jesus there (Matthew 5:16) was not offering dupposed "humility" as a weak little excuse for not obeying His Command there.

Or, how about if you gey your husband in here to speak for himself, rathet than just talking at the church office all day?

20. Stegley

Stegley New Member

Catering to the hypersensitive little perceptions of pewsitters merely enables their continuing immaturity, and leaves them with no spiritual satisfaction. Then, they leave.