1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Adopting Pets

Discussion in 'Travel Forum' started by UTEOTW, Oct 2, 2003.

1. UTEOTW

UTEOTW New Member

I know I may be preaching to the choir with some of you, but if I can give someone an idea of which they had not thought.

If you are in the market for a dog (or other pet for that matter) please consider going the route of shelter and rescue dogs. With today's technology, it is easier than ever to find what you are looking for and help an animal at the same time. There are many webpages out there that can assist you in finding a pet. I used http://www.petfinder.com to find me a dog a few weeks ago. It allows you to search many shelters, rescue services, and foster organizations at once for any combination of size, age, gender, breed, and distance. The dog I found was in a shelter about 100 miles away, so I would have never found her otherwise. If you are looking for a pure bred dog, type in the name of the breed and "rescue" in Google or another search engine. Most major breeds have rescue services for dogs that are given up by their owners. How can you beat getting a purebred dog, often with papers and training and all, for the cost of a shelter rescue?

Yes, it is hard to find a purebred, young puppy. But otherwise, the sky is the limit.

BTW, my new addition is a year old Brittney / Beagle mix named Ginger. And yes, she is the most adorable, sweetest dog you have ever seen.

I just wanted to plant the seed while it was fresh in my mind.

2. td

td New Member

I think some of the breed rescue groups are a little over the top. You'd think you were adopting a child the way they act. I adopted a dog from Basset Hound Rescue a couple of years ago. Had to fill out a lot of paper work and agree to a home visit from a 'doggie social worker'. I ended up paying them almost as much for a dog as I would from a registered breeder.