1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Advent

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by SaggyWoman, Dec 23, 2003.

1. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

I know "advent" isn't traditionally a Baptist thing, but is there anything your church does for the Advent season?

Ours lights the candles, and I have been privileged to get to write the readings. I love that.

2. Johnv

Johnv New Member

We have a large advent wreath. Every Sunday, a new candle is lit.

3. BrianT

BrianT New Member

We also have the Advent Wreath at the front and the appropriate candles lit accordingly. We also follow the common lectionary Scripture readings that you would hear in other churches.

4. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Did at the Free Church but the Baptist Church? Lucky to have ANY Christmas decorations. It is not a priority with that group.

I love the candles - we did readings, prayer, a child lighting them and set up the communion around it and did the Lord's Supper each week. Final candle and final communion on Christmas eve. Will go back there tomorrow night to see how they are doing with their new pastor and to fellowship with these dear friends.

5. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Advent is not done in our church but did receive a passing mention with reference to the sermons during advent. We DO have decorations tho. Almost every S/S class has a tree (decorated by the class members) and the sanctuary has two VERY large trees in a platform area up to the sides of the wrap around balcony and one in the upstairs front windows
    [​IMG]

so it can be seen from the highway. They're all decorated with white lights, white doves and white bows.

The architech hasn't updated the website yet to show the completed project but it's GORGEOUS. We have antiques throughout and wallpaper even in the bathrooms. The men's bathrooms have wallpaper that looks like silk ties. We have 'family' bathrooms with changing tables, etc. I wish you could all see it! After services, everyone gathers in the 'hospitality suite' with the fireplace burning, sofas around, coffee, teas, etc. to visit with our pastors.

Diane

6. Jeremiah

Jeremiah Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Two years ago our church (Baptist) celebrated Advent. Our pastor took time to explain each candle and the sermon was centered on an Advent theme.

Tonight we will have a brief overview of advent in song and readings with our pastor giving a Christmas Eve message.

We have a lot of converts from Catholic and other orthodox churches so celebrating advent in our church is mixed. Personally I love it, it leads to great discussions for all ages.

-- Jeremiah

7. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

For a couple of years, we did "traditional" advent, but it came out as somewhat meaningless. So we chose to write our own.