1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Advent

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Salty, Oct 23, 2013.

1. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Hello TH

I was raised in the RC church...and this whole advent idea was promoted.

Are you saying this has a different origin? What is your proof as I have read more along the line of what was offered in Heralds post.

What do you see in scripture that supports such an idea? I see the cross as central.The incarnation being necessary to have the cross happen...but The Angelic announcement in Lk 1 works for me.:thumbs:

2. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you fellas really consider these commentaries as vitriol? I dont see that, but what surprises me is the staunch "Puritanical" belief system that as Martyn Lloyd-Jones would describe as "a joyless, hard, not to say harsh & cold type of religion. He (ML-J) credits this hardness to being the result of intellectualism & the more the intellect dominates the less joy there will be, and the hardness, and a coldness, and a harshness, and a bigotry tend to come in." I personally have seen this in the Orthodox Presbyterian Churches where there are true Hyper Calvinists who will legislate (I use that term to illustrate the legalistic character of the place) a church goers life for them. Even driving up to the place, you note the dreary & colorless church & grounds.... Bad Bad Bad & Bring out your dead :laugh:

Thankfully Lloyd-Jones corrects himself with....." I almost said that it tends to produce 'dead Calvinism', but I am not saying that. Why not? Because I regard the term "dead Calvinism" as a contradiction in terms. I say that dead Calvinism is impossible, and that if your Calvinism appears to be dead it is not Calvinism, it's a philosophy. It is a philosophy using Calvinistic terms, it is an intellectualism, and not real Calvinism.

I do sincerely hope that people do not represent Calvinism & Puritanism in these characteristics.....because I never saw it displayed amongst my own Calvinistic relatives......who were the kindest, most gentle & loving people on the planet. Not that my RC Family were not .... but they did not have a calm demeanor that the Calvinists did. They had the assurance that God was in their lives shaping them.....and that leads to feelings, to passion, to warmth, to praise, to thanksgiving.

3. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thisnumbersdisconected is correct in the interpretation of 2 Corinthians 13.

There is nothing in this passage in which Paul is calling the Corinthians to question their salvation, but to question how they are living out their salvation.

The believer is to examine himself, to bring himself to account, to lay the soul, mind, and walk honest before God's word for cleansing and instruction.

Paul is telling the Corinthians - if you don't, you know my apostolic authority and although I don't want to destroy you, but build you up, I will not tolerate your wrong doing.

This doesn't mean that every person in the Corinthian church was a believer. The unbeliever can't test what they don't have.

It is to believer's that such must examine themselves, not for salvation, but for their "conversation."

4. Herald

Herald New Member

I do not mind the harshness. I was raised 10 miles west of Manhattan where speaking one's mind was the norm.

As far as not tolerating certain things, glad to have you in the club.

5. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jersey strong:thumbsup::laugh:

6. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You Herald confuse me. Jersey born & bred in a Urban Community of Italian Blood.... probably Irish (im Guessing) but you appear to disavow yourself of any traditional aspects of Christianity that bring joy into our sinful lives. Not that I believe that a overtly commercial & overblown holiday is necessary (perhaps thats what your saying & Im not getting it) but even among on Calvinistic family, there was a time of warmth & joy to Christmas......and they probably knew the bible far better than anyone in this board.

7. Herald

Herald New Member

Italian-Scottish descent.

Read what I wrote earlier. I have no problem with Christmas outside of formal ecclesiastical recognition. No Christmas trees in the sanctuary. No 2nd commandment violation by having a baby Jesus near the pulpit. We preach Christ crucified and risen from the dead! Our victory!

We go to Christmas parties. I use the season to strike up conversations that allow me to share Christ. That is all fine. But not in worship because it is not prescribed in Scripture.

8. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In last winter's ARBCA newsletter,

James Galyon, Reformed Baptist chaplain, reported:

9. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My neighbor, Frank (Francis) Benson is the Chaplin for the Kearney fire Dept., so he leaves NW Jersey at 4:30 am each morning...even with his cancer....he is a great guy. He wears his kilt every Christmas & New Year. My MIL is a Scot as is my wife's uncle Al MacAdoo....we will all be wearing kilts at my sons wedding with pipes playing

10. Herald

Herald New Member

It's "Kearny" not "Kearney". I should know because I was born there and graduated High School there. The fire chief, Steve Dyl, was in my graduating class.

11. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Typical "Yankees" arguing over a vowel.

:)

12. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

I suppose it could be worse...... could be Harrison.:laugh:

13. Herald

Herald New Member

LOL That vowel is worth fighting over! :)