1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Advice requested - Evangelism scripture

Discussion in 'Evangelism, Missions & Witnessing' started by Rise&shine, Jul 26, 2008.

1. Rise&shine

Rise&shine New Member

Over the last year or so I have become more convicted that I need to be acting on the great commision, and have felt that this is the direction to which God is calling me.

Now, whilst I regularly read my Bible, key verses and passages often slip my memory, I have a memory like a sieve at times. Sometimes after a conversation I am left thinking I wish I had remembered or quoted this or that verse, does anyone know what I mean ?
    I want to be an effective witness, but I believe my poor scripture recollection is letting me down.

It seems that good Evangelists always seems to have a sharp memory and can point to a passage instantly. They are thorougly versed in scripture, a great foundation for Evangelism.

Now it would seem like a verse memory system, would seem to be the answer, to which I think I've found a system which I hope will work with me.

Now can anyone on the Baptist board advise me on a book, or web site, or from their own experience, the best scriptures (key verses) to memorize, and to keep building up that knowledge ?

R&S

2. bapmom

bapmom New Member

in my opinion, a good foundation is what is commonly called the Romans Road. It is a place to start, especially as you are beginning to be a witness. These are the basic verses:

Romans 3:23 All have sinned.
    Romans 6:23 Eternal life is a free gift of God.
    Romans 5:8 Because of love, Jesus paid the death penalty for your sins.
    Romans 10:9-10 Confess Jesus as Lord.
    Romans 10:13 Ask God to save you, and He will

Of course, as you go through these verses, depending on who you are talking to, you might need to use other verses which explain some different aspects, but these here are a starting point.

Really, the more you read your Bible and start to use it in conversation with those around you the more you'll remember, and the more chances God will have to bring the appropriate verses to your recollection.

I've found I John 5 to be very helpful, as well as Ephesians 2:8 and 9

Please keep in mind too, the Holy Spirit wants to guide you in what you say. Rely on God, in faith, to remind you of the verses He wants you to use. There have been times when I've talked to someone and then walked away and later thought of different verses I could have used - but I just have to have faith that God knew what He was doing in NOT reminding me of those particular verses. Maybe the person could not have handled them at that point - maybe the verses I DID use were actually what that person needed, and not the ones I thought of later on my own.

The more you go the more you'll be able to remember......if you get too much into the research aspect of it (as in other websites and such) then that will actually take away from your reliance on God. Let most of your research on this be your own daily Bible reading and prayer.

3. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hi, Rise&Shine. Welcome to the Baptist Board. :wavey:

If you'll just remember or put a bookmark (a "post-it" is great for this) next to the first verse of the "Romans Road" verses bapmom just gave you, you are home free. What you do next is put the reference of the next verse right by the first one: write "6:23" in your Bible next to Romans 3:23. Then do this with each reference. That way, when you have a chance to witness you don't need to have the verses memorized or remember where they are. You just follow the "map" in the Bible. Then, after you've used the plan a few times to witness, you'll find, as I did, you have automatically memorized the references and the verses!

Other good witnessing passages are John 3 and Is. 53. You can take either one of these chapters and explain salvation from various verses in the chapter.

I remember hearing the story of a preacher who was about to get on a train. A man asked him right then how to get saved, but the preacher didn't have time to say anything more than: "Turn to Isaiah 53:6. Go in at the first 'all' and come out at the second 'all.'" That was enough for the man to get saved! (Of course the prospect already knew about Christ in this case.)

May God richly bless your efforts to win souls to Christ! :praying:

4. Brother Randall

Brother Randall New Member

5. rdwhite

rdwhite New Member

Using verse maps is an excellent tool, and not only for witnessing. I have maps that deal with many topics including marriage, temptation, etc.

When dealing with religious (but not saved) folks, I like to bring Ephesians 2:8-10 into the plan.

As far as memory, an index card system is very effective like Brother Randall mentioned, the main thing is consistency and dedication.:thumbs:

6. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good post! :wavey: