1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Affordable and online help

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Pastor Shaun, Sep 5, 2007.

1. Pastor Shaun

Pastor Shaun New Member

I am wanting to begin a bachelors degree in Bible or Ministry while I am finishing my bachelors in education. Is this possible to do right now? I already have loans out where I currently attend. Can anyone guide me to an affordable distance learning program that I could begin to study as I finish the other? I am looking for interest-free monthly payments. I thought about Andersonville but many people would say to stay away.

Also, has anyone used the program "Logos"?, my school is offering it 40% off and I was wondering if it was worth getting

2. Psalm 95

Psalm 95 New Member

Being a mac user I prefer accordance, but if I had a PC I should get the Logos Bible software, from friends and reviews it seems to be on of the best for windows.

Also Bible software is quite usefull, searching for words, it can be used as a concordance, it seves time when checking crossreferences or using the naves. I also like to check the greek word behind the english.

But I write as an ordinary beliver, not as a Pastor. As I understand, a Pastor or becoming Pastor should think of getting a good Bible Software such as Logos or Accordance. I think it should be even more useful for a Pastor than for me.

3. Broadus

Broadus Member

From what I've seen Logos is a good program, and there are several levels, depending upon what you want.

I use BibleWorks 7, but it is primarily for exegetical work and does not have the many homiletical resources that Logos has.

Something else to consider is the free eSword. There are a lot of free components which can be downloaded in eSword, as well as a few components which can be downloaded for a fee.

Bill

4. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would advise you to focus your energy on finishing the education degree. After you finish it, you can start on a seminary degree, even without any undergraduate religion background. Another bachelor's degree in religion wouldn't really add that much, except to your tuition bill.

Another option may be simply to take some religion courses by themselves. I would suggest Greek, if possible. That could give you a headstart on seminary.

5. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==Possible? Yes. Advisable? No. Focus on where you are at and towards finishing that. A degree in education is a very good thing to have, mainly if you are working towards licensure. You may never use that teaching license, but it is great to have. It will give you a good career while you are working on your seminary education and it could even help you in your preparation for the ministry.

Why get a second bachelors degree? I don't see the point. If you want a Bible degree I would suggest you look at one of the graduate programs at Liberty Seminary, Southern Evangelical Seminary, or Luther Rice Seminary. If you wish to start online and then move oncampus I would suggest schools like Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary, New Orleans Baptist Theological Seminary, or you could do that with Liberty as well.

==Like I said, I would advise you to finish your other degree first and then move on to an accredited graduate program in religion/theology/divinity. As far as cost goes, you could probably manage that by taking one course at a time.

==Get your education from an accredited school.