1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

AFL-CIO head: Labor to ditch Democrats

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by mandym, Aug 25, 2011.

1. mandym

mandym New Member

Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0811/62057.html#ixzz1W4vWkKB5

2. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

There is something about Mr. Trumka that seems way to shady for me. When he was prez. of the UMWA, he brought in the selective strike, where only one union mine at a time could go on strike, if my memory serves me correctly. This hurt the UMWA in the long run.

3. Borneol

Borneol New Member

The recent Verison strike that went poorly was another further sign of unions loosing their influence in society. Not all that surprised that unions are looking to ditch Democrats. Thought this a nice article about what the labor movement should look at doing in these changing times.

"The Legacy Labor Movement Has Lost Its Way"

http://blogs.the-american-interest.com/wrm/2011/08/19/the-legacy-labor-movement-has-lost-its-way/

excerpt:

4. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not a chance. Labor and democrats are irrevocably married , with a common goal of destroying American inventiveness and the individual drive to succeed.

5. billwald

billwald New Member

Why does anyone think "the drive to succeed" depends upon the political/economic system under which one lives? Every society in history has had it's top 20%.

6. mandym

mandym New Member

Because it does

7. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Unions, rather than lifting the performance of all members, seek to drag down the best employees to the level of the rest.

It's destructive and counterproductive.

8. billwald

billwald New Member

How would you rate a phone company lineman? A back hoe operator? Every job is different.

Do you all approve of a standard rate book as is used in the auto repair industry?

9. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Any competent supervisor specializing in those fields wouldn't have a problem doing so. Their work habits , attendence and attention to detail will always tell the tale.

In a union shp, the consistently tardy, shoddy workman with a poor attitude gets the same pay as the highly competent ones.

It's almost criminal.

10. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

Having worked in the construction industry, you rate them by their productivity and quality of work. The supervisors evaluate them.

There are mechanics that use rate books, and others that do not. Having the rate books is fine for a guide. Requiring people to use them, is NOT. If I want to charge you a buck to change your engine, I should be able to. If I want to charge you 50 million dollars, I should be able to. If you don't like my price, you are welcome to go somewhere else. Thats how capitalism works.