1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Afraid to Die

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by Crabtownboy, May 7, 2012.

1. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    When you are afraid to die
    You are afraid to live.

2. seekingthetruth

seekingthetruth New Member

I'd be afraid of facing God if I died as a liberal.

John

3. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

There are a couple of reasons I'm afraid to die:

* Pain of the way I die
    * leaving my children without a mother

However, I've done things that are risking my life in order to save someone else's. In that way, I'm not afraid to die because I know where I'm going and I don't know where they are going. :)

4. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I agree. I don't view it as much as being afraid to die as the means of getting there :)

Since death is unnatural, particularly as believers we should not openly embrace it. I remember a scene from Forrest Gump where his mother was on her death bed. She was happy and told him not to fear death, that it was a natural part of life like being born. I think that is the lie satan wants man to believe.

5. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

I have worked in hospitals for over 11 yrs, and I have seen death, and those who were on their way there way too many times. It bothers me how those who have good health waste it on drugs, and those who have terminal diseases, who will try any experimental drug, or exploratory surgery, just to live a few more days. I have no fear in dying in my inner man, but the fleshly man sure dreads that sting of death....remember, we who are saved, go to sleep in the Lord.

6. billwald

billwald New Member

"Christians are people who talk about the wonders of Heaven but fight like hell to keep from going there."

From my experience, Christians are as afraid of dying as anyone else when the doctor says "start packing for the trip." Talk is cheap.

7. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

And? Its unnatural. Christians were also afraid to see Jesus and angels.

8. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I look at it like Archie Bunker: "Someone's gotta be dead-- that's life."

9. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

Death itself holds no fear for me, but some methods of death do. I hope to go up in the "Rapture" that some people say won't happen. If I can't have that, I hope to die quietly in my sleep.

As for this body when I'm through with it, it can be tossed out in the wilderness for the coyotes, bobcats and whatever else is out there. I doubt that I'll have any usable organs for transplanting. Besides, since I rarely get any visitors, I could lie here dead for weeks before anyone checks on me. What a sight that would be for someone to find. :eek:

10. SolaSaint

SolaSaint Well-Known Member

I can say right now I'm not afraid to die for I do know where I'm heading, Thank God. But I will say I have no idea how I would react if a doctor told me I have only a few days or less to live, I may have a change of heart at that time. We really cannot say we're afraid to die until we are confronted with it.

11. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

We can say it, but we don't actually know for certain how we would react to the knowledge that life here would soon be over. All I can do is say that I believe that I would face death with the calm assurance that I am in Christ and therefore safe and secure with nothing to fear. As I said, the method of death holds more fear for me than the actual death.

12. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

A few years ago, I went to get my daughter at the grocery store at midnight when she got off of work. When I got there, there was a man who was stabbed in the neck and needed help NOW. Forget finding gloves, I ran over with some white paper towels (all I had at the time - I'm better prepared in my car now) and sat him down on the ground and held him and his neck, putting pressure on the stab wound while I prayed. People kept telling me "You need gloves!" and I finally said "I don't care of I get sick. This man is going to die if I don't help him. I know where I'm going, I don't know where he's going so please leave me alone!" I prayed for that young man and I don't know where he stands today but you bet your bippy I put my life on the line to save his. I needed to give him more time to know the Lord - I already know Him. :)

But the funny thing? With as much blood as he lost (the fire department had to wash the parking lot after we left), I didn't have a drop on me! So God took care of me too.

13. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Good story, Ann---------------similiar story happend to me not long ago----my wife and I stumbled upon a car accident---the little lady was bleeding profusely from above the left eye---was still conscience---I so happened to have a bath towel in the car---I grab it and ease the lady down on the grass beside the car---mercy---blood all over the place--and all she could ask for was

"Mister!! I need a cigarette!! Can you get me a cigarette!!!???"

I tell her----lady--I'd get you one but I don't smoke---you're just gonna have to go without one for now-----but you do need stitches and a trip to the hospital

I never once thought about gloves---mercy---somebody's fixin' to leave this earth--and I need gloves?????????????????????

:type::type:

14. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Exactly. And if I got HepC or HIV, it would have been because I worked to save a life. Yeah, I keep gloves in my driver's side door now along with some very large sterile gauze pads and an abdominal pad - but really, my focus is on saving someone to give them time to find the Lord.

What was scary to me was when the ambulance came, the paramedic came to me and said "DON'T let go. You're going to have to get in the ambulance with him until we get him secured." So I did. I never let go of his neck. From what I understand, it JUST missed the major vessels but his neck was cut from behind his ear to just beyond his adam's apple on the other side. He had hundreds of stitches because it cut into the muscle very deeply. SHUDDER A nurse in the ER said I most likely DID save his life for all of the blood he was losing! :godisgood:

15. Melanie

Melanie Active Member
    Site Supporter

Interesting responses here. I personally think as a Christian, your life is a preparation for death. Afterall, as a Christian, your ultimate goal is to be in the Divine Presence. I try to live each day as if it is my last, because none of us know the When....

I hope to be conscious to the end, in order to be as prepared as I can be fortified with the sacraments. Any pain I would hope to offer up as a reparation for my sins. I too, am fearful of pain and my weakness, but

"I have loved, O Lord, the beauty of Thy house, and the place where Thy glory dwelleth." Psalm 25. 8

16. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

I tell my wife all the time that when I come to die----I want to have the biggest baddest meanest heart attack anyone has ever had---to go ahead and get dyin' over with so I can go to Heaven and LIVE!!!

:type::type:

17. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

Very moving story. God will bless you for your mercy and bravery.

18. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

:)

That reminds me of something he said about New Jersey: "Somebody's gotta live there." :)