1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

After researching and emailing... narrowed down to 3

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by SwordoftheLord, Oct 27, 2011.

1. SwordoftheLord

SwordoftheLord New Member

Debating on

Luther Rice
    New Orleans Baptist Seminary
    Tennessee Temple

This is for M. Div, Luther and Tenessee Temple both offer M. Div online fully, and NO said they are hoping to by Aug 2012....so I could enroll now with NO and come August be able to continue with M Div program..

What do you all think??

2. SwordoftheLord

SwordoftheLord New Member

I will be completing my BS religion this semester from Luther Rice.....

3. kfinks

kfinks Member
    Site Supporter

FWIW: I have been doing distance learning since the early 80's at undergrad and grad levels. Never trust a statement like, "NO said they are hoping to by Aug 2012". If the program is not currently available, I wouldn't start it hoping that it would be in the future.

4. Ruiz

Ruiz New Member

I agree with this. I am a professor and there have been many statements like "we will have by..." that never happen. My fields I teach are business and religion. In one prominent school, they were supposed to add a program beginning the Fall of 2011 that still has not happened, despite countless student surveys, initial development of the program, and other such pre-work. They do not lack the money, but other issues often come up during the pre-work phase.

Never trust the "we will have by..." statements. Only after they have implemented the program should you believe them. Not that they are purposefully lying, but things do not always work as planned.

5. RG2

RG2 Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    One thing I think you should clarify with NOBTS is they say they should have all their MDiv courses online by then... but they don't say that you will be able to do your entire degree online. So they might offer all their courses online but you might still be required to take a number of classes on campus.

As for the trusting the hoping statement, I've worked in the University environment and gone to schools that haven't come through with projected plans. However, I would say in this case if they didn't have it 100% online by Aug 2012 you wouldn't be too far into your program by then, it's not like they are shooting for 2014 or something where you'd be almost finished. At least NOBTS is a regionally accredited well known school in which you should be able to transfer your credits somewhere else if they didn't come through with their original plan.

Edit: A comment on what Ruiz said. I don't know if there would be the same difficulty at NOBTS. They aren't adding a program completely, they are simply expanding the number of classes they are teaching on their already established distance learning track. So it's more just getting the courses ready than creating a program from scratch. In this case they can roll out in phases easily, so even if they don't get their entire catalog they can at least start expanding the course offerings.

#5 RG2, Oct 28, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 28, 2011
  6. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The bigger issue is that ATS-accredited seminaries cannot offer degrees in 100% online format. Unless ATS changes its regulations or NOBTS drops ATS accreditation, the degree will not be 100% online.

7. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

If I were a betting man, I would say that ATS would be changing its 100 percent online ban sometime within the next 5 years. There is enormous pressure on them to do so, and with technology going the way it is, there is little reason not to...